Drive Disappears after Wake up from sleep

I have 4 2 TB Cariar Green internal drives.  The recently purchased one disappears after Wake up.  I am using a new install of XP SP3.   It is not recognized by device manager or disk managment.   I have to reboot to get it back.  All Set in IDE mode, not AHCI in BIOS.  All drives use identical drivers.  Other similar machines with the same drives, no wakeup problems.  Problem is repeatable and aggrivating…  Was there a firmware change lately?

This is a real pain since the computer is remotely located and I do a Wake up LAN and have to go and reboot it.  Pain.  I don’t care about RMAing a bad drive but it takes a few days to transfer all the data.  Bigger pain.  Kind of hoped there was a driver issue I could apply.  Seems to be a common problem in Win 7, but not XP.

1 Like

The "good " drives are

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX-01JJPV0

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS-22MVW130

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS-00S2B0 2TB

and the “lazy” drive is

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS-00MVWBO

Hope that helps zero in on the problem!

Test the drive… this behavior is not normal…

Use Hard Disk Sentinel or Data Lifeguard

Thank you.  I run HD Sentinel all the time.  Of course, I cannot access or exit the HD Sentinel program when  the drive “disappears” after the computer wakeup.  It is however, still shown on Window’s explorer as a drive over the network only, but not directly on the coputer it is installed on, but it cannot be accessed via the LAN.  Therefore to run HD Sentinel, I rebooted, the drive came up again, and I ran every test it had.   All parameters are normal, equilivant to other drives, the self tests are OK, and surface test is flawless (so far, large drive, still waiting). 

This is my most recently purchased drive.  (The other ten, older, do not exhibit the wakeup phenomena.  I listed, above, only the drives in this computer.)  That is the reason I thought there was some power-saving firmware change messing this up.  I will gladly run further tests, upload new firmware (or older working firmware) if that is possible, or try a different IDE driver, as I would like to get this working. 

I guess that’s it.

Ah no.  Not so easy.  I D/C the Intellipark with WDIdle3.  These firmwares were all over the place and my LCC was failing the drives, bad sectors proportional to parking.  Let’s see.

Good idea.  Still fails.  Could have been that it parks before system recognizes the drive.  Drive goes back.  Thanks for your help.

is the sin up time similar to the older drives??

in your situation i would explain the problem and exchange the HDD

Yes, they spool up similarly, not a bad idea there.

All right.  This borders on “weird science projects”.

It was a SATA port on my brand new ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen 3, go figure.

Thanx to a tech at WD suggesting a differential diagnosis trying that out.

Saved me transferring huge data all over again, but in the process I do like turning off the Intelipark-thingy.

On to the next project…