Do i have to jumper a WD5003AZEX for use in older external HHD-Case with SATA 2 Interface?

Hi,

as the Title discribes, i would like to use a WD5003AZEX in an older external HDD-Case (for max. 500 GB) with SATA 2 Interface and USB 2.0 output, only to store files and folders forever. Do i have to set a  jumper in this case or is that only necessary for old motherboards if an OS shall be installed on them?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/5387#jumper

On the other hand i plan to use a WD1003FZEX in a Docking Station with SATA 2 Interface and USB 2.0 output also to store files and folders forever on it. What about this case?

Personally i think that the normal SATA backwards compatibility should be enough. Am i right?

Just in case someone here would like to tell me that Blue, Green or Red would be enough for my requirements:

I have to tell you that i principly only buy Black because of Quality and Warranty. As i also only burn on Verbatim Gold Archival Grade Single Layers for Lifetime.

Kind Regards :smiley:

Hello,

I recommend you take a look at this link.

Installing a WD SATA, SAS, or PATA drive in an external USB/NAS enclosure or Personal Video Recorder 

1 Like

So NO jumper is needed. This was very helpful, thanks for that!