Disk with SMART alert in Current Pending Sector Count

Hello, I had a few issues and I would like if you could help me:

The first is that I have a external “RAID” unit, a Drobo, a few hours ago it detected that one of the SMART of one of the HDD is wrong and now it doesn’t wants to work with that disk, I pluged it to my computer to read the SMART and it only shows a Warning in the “Current Pending Sector Count” but it’s only “2” Is this disk still valid for working or should I RMA it?

Also just a “funny” thing that it’s a bit offtopic buy I would like of you could help me: The CrystalDiskInfo only show one of the HDD conected to the computer, and the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tells that some of the disks conected to the SATA ports are USB disks. Do you know what It could be?

Also just a “funny” thing that it’s a bit offtopic buy I would like of you could help me: The CrystalDiskInfo only show one of the HDD connected to the computer, and the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tells that some of the disks connected to the SATA ports are USB disks. Do you know what It could be?

Not sure why is saying USB, are you able to test the drive individually on the computer one at  the time?

The WD tool can test the disks and they seems to be fine, but only shows the SMART from the two disks that detects as USB.

Also the disk that had the Current Pending Sector Count while doing the test raised that value to 40 and now it’s at 0. Not sure if I should be worried.

“Pending sectors” refer to sectors that failed to be read. They are marked that way so the drive knows they could be unstable or even bad. And they are kept that way as long as there’s data stored in them.

When at a later point the sector(s) become unused, at the next write operation, the drive either removes their “pending” status (if the write is successful), or re-allocates them (also removing their “pending” status but increasing the “reallocated sectors” counter).

So if you’ve seen that value increasing from 2 to 40 and then going back to 0, you should now check to see if any other smart counters have changed (especially the “reallocated …” ones). If those are still are 0, there’s no need to worry about the drive, it could all have been due to some less-than perfect cable connections. If this happens again, consider changing sata/power cables.