Disable TLER in WD RE4, still available?

TLER is still used on WD’s RAID drives. That is one feature that makes them compatible with RAIDs to prevent dropoffs. You are correct in saying that it isn’t “editable” like it was on a few mondels. The TLER feature only lets a drive go into a deep recovery mode for 7 seconds before it hands over the recovery to a RAID controller. Whereas a Desktop drive could go into a deep recovery for up to 2 minutes. I don’t think that a deep recovery happens very often. It’s up to you if you want to use the drive in a non-RAID environment. If the deep recovery is something that would bother you, you may want to use a drive from the Black line since it is a performance drive for standard use, not RAID.

I’ve had users use RAID drives and the VelociRaptor in non-RAID environemtns and haven’t heard of any bad experience. I even use a VelociRaptor as my main boot drive and havne’t had any problems. It’s more of a preference I guess. Some people like having the ‘peace of mind’, I guess you can call it, of the deep recovery mode that a desktop drive can go in to.

1 Like