Occasional Advisor
samsquared
Accepted Solution

Dell 8400 Dimension does not recognize WD 500GB Caviar Black SATA drive

[ Edited ]

I have a related post about a BSOD after a Windows Home Server restore, but I seem to have a more basic problem.  I added the new drive as a second drive but when I go into the bios to activate it, it does not recognize this new drive. The old drive is a 160GB Seagate SATA drive that came with the system about 6 years ago.

The odd thing is that WHS seemed to have no trouble working with this drive when it ran the restore.  I have the original bios A01 - do I need to upgrade it?  It still begs the question of how WHS was able to make it work.  I also downloaded and created a bootable CD with data lifeguard software and it could not find a WD drive.

Thanks.

6/14/11 Update

Tonight I removed the new 500GB drive and connected it as an external USB drive. The new drive contained what I expected - a restored image from my original drive thanks to Windows Home Server (WHS). So here are my conclusions:

1. There is no need to update the bios because WHS was able to write to the new drive with the current bios

2. Starting over by doing a fresh install of Windows XP is likely not an option because the bios doesn't recognize the drive (I tried both RAID/AHCI and RAID/ATA). In any event it's not a desirable option.

3. The new drive is functioning fine.

So the question is this: what did WHS server do to allow the drive to be recognized and written to that is not in place now on my PC?

Occasional Advisor
samsquared

Re: Dell 8400 Dimension does not recognize WD 500GB Caviar Black SATA drive

The drive is now visible to the bios as a 500GB drive (no bios upgrade required).  I called WD support and they said to jumper pins 1 and 2.  When I did that, I was able to see the drive in the bios as a 500GB drive.  No bios update was required.  Now to fix the BSOD after the WHS restore but that's another thread.

Honored Contributor
ThePizzaMatrix

Re: Dell 8400 Dimension does not recognize WD 500GB Caviar Black SATA drive

A jumper? That alters how the drives behave, good thing =)

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD