Dead HDD?

I have been using a 750GB WD caviar black (WD7502AAEX) for some years now and finally decided that i needed more storage.

So i buy another 2TB hdd, shut off the computer, plug it in, and then i notice the old 750 GB hdd has dissapeared.

I cant find it in BIOS or windows and it doesent even spin up.

could it be a problem with the soldering in the PCB?

The drive was working flawlessly up until the point where i moved it down a slot and installed the new drive.

yes i have tried moving it back, and tried without the other drive and all the different SATA settings in the bios.

If anyone have heard of something like this happening before please help :slight_smile:

Hello there,

What about the SATA cable, have you tried to use a different one?

Yes, i have tried different comnbinations of sata cables, power cables sata ports on the mother board, jumper positions and so on.

Today i borrowed a USB to SATA adapter to see if that would work.

It didnt, but i just let it stay there plugged in.

After som time the drive was getting warmer, as if it was active.
So there is definatly power…

Im going to bring it to work on monday, I work at a company that makes all kinds of cards, and we have all the different kinds of machines to even make the pcb from scratch again.

Im just going to do some measurements to see if there are any breaks in the soldering or something like that, maybe put it in our xray machine.

Are there any special things i should be looking for while probing the PCB?

Any corrosion on the SATA power connector?

If it doesn’t spin up, problem is unlikely related to the SATA data connector/cable.

I found the problem, as i said i work with making cards, so i brought the drive to work were we have a ESD safe enviroment.

After opening it up this is what i saw.

The Smooth L7251 chip has shorted out pretty badly.

A quick search says this is pretty common

http://www.kerrywong.com/2012/12/12/bring-a-dead-wd1001fals-back-to-life/

Ill check our storage area to see if we have the chip (doubt it though) if we dont i will order it off the internet and switch it.

Does anyone know of a good site to buy this ship off?