Customer service on FAULTY product

Unfortunately I have the displeasure of owning a WD Blue Scorpio 10TPVT 1Tb HDD that died 2yrs & 11months into it’s life taking valuable data with it.

I doubt I will ever see my data again or a useful WD hard drive.

Dealt with by Support 140115

RippedOff,

As a standard RMA proceedure, the warehouse couldn’t honor the warranty you thought you had because it was an OEM drive.  We sell OEM drives to companies like Dell and HP as drives for the laptops they sell.  Other companies use our drives in their external drive products as well.  Once a drive is sold as an OEM drive, it’s warranty comes under the jurisdiction of the company that is using it in their product(s). Even with our external drives, taking apart the case to use the internal drive would void your warranty

Normally, you would need to go back to the company you bought the product from, that the drive came in, for a warranty replacement.  We wouldn’t hold any warranty responsibility for our drives in that case.  Moreover, there may be times when distributors may pick up excess OEM drives and sell them on the market.  In those cases, you would need to go back to the distributor directly for a warranty replacement. 

I only share these things to help you understand that this isn’t a case of us not honoring our warranties.  We do honor our warranties.  I also understand that we are working to sort this out for you.  I hope everything works out well.

WD built the product - WD should warrant it

This whole situation arose from a 2yr 11 month old WD drive that failed taking my data with it.

I’ll leave your forum now as customer service has come to the party.

No kudos for you.