Controllers compatible with Red NAS WD30EFRX drives

Is there a controller compatibility last for Red NAS drives?

I’m building a NAS with WD30EFRX drives (Nasware 3.0).  It’s a Silvermont platform.  The drives directly attached to the Intel chipset are fine.

Four drives are connected via a Syba SI-PEX40062 PCIe SATA board using a Marvell 88SE9235 controller.  These drives attached to the Marvell are not reliable.  Big writes sometimes fail with the drive falling off.  The Windows event log says “device isn’t ready” MANY, MANY times and the drive letter associated with it disappears.  This is true for both Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012R2.

I can move drives and cables around which confirms the problem is between the drives and the controller.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome to the Wd community.

i would like to know if you have a RAID setting with these drives. Also try to check if perhaps one of the drives is having any problems by running DLG and doing a diagnostic on each drive. By following this link you can download the software and run it on try them your computer:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=619&sid=3&lang=en

I’ve previously run WinDlg SMART and Extended tests on all drives.  They are fine.

The controller does not support RAID.  However, whether the disks are treated as single entities or connected in software RAID, the problem is observed.  This is true in each of Windows 7, Windows Server 2012R2, and Fedora 20 so the issue appears to be hardware and not software.

It’s not an overheating problem.  The problem can occur immediately after the PC has been booted or only after 30 minutes or longer.

Moving drives around or changing cables doesn’t fix the problem.

My hypothesis is either I have a bad controller OR there is a compatibility issue between the controller and the drives,

Please let me know if you’;d like more information.

Thanks.