Cloning Problem

I am trying to clone a WD3200AAKS to a brand new WD5000AAKX with the Acronis WD Edition. Everything works great until the cloning gets to 92% complete. At this time the computer shuts off. I turn it back on and it says Acroins is complete, only the new drive is empty and does not show up in Windows. I tried this several times and the result was the same…computer turns off at 92% complete, I reboot the system and the new drive is bare and not seen by Windows.

I thought it might be a bad drive, so I tried to load Windows 7 onto the new drive and it works like a charm. Could it be a problem with the old drive? By the way, the mobo does not support 6 GB/S Sata so I have the jumpers set to 5 and 6 for the new drive, as per WD’s instruction.

EVGA 780i SLI

Windows 7 64

WD32000AAKS (Old Drive)

WD5000AAKX (New Drive)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Try a full surface scan with Data LifeGuard on both drives. This will find any bad sectors.

fzabkar…you must be psychic …

I did that this morning as well as CHKDSK on both drives. I defragmented the source drive too. Both drives came up fine. I tried to clone and the results were the same…at 92% complete the computer shuts off.

Thanks for the info and I’ll keep trying.

:cry:

If the file system is intact, and if there are no bad sectors, then I can’t offer any explanation for your problems. I assume that your are cloning your original 320GB partition onto a larger 500GB partition, in which case Acronis would be partitioning and formatting the target drive before transferring your files. As part of this process, Acronis would also need to verify the integrity of the source drive’s file system.

Instead of cloning your drive, you could “image” it, sector-by-sector. This will make an exact copy of your source drive on the target. However, the target drive will then have 180GB of unallocated space. You could create a second partition in this space, or you could expand the first partition to fill the drive.

If the imaging process still aborts near the end, then at least you will have copied most of the sectors across. You can then examine the target with a disc editor such as DMDE.

Thanks for all your help and info fzabkar. I tried to clone the hard drive on another computer I have with Acronis and it worked just fine. I went back to my original and the same results. I gave up to the “Great Computer Gods” and decided to just use the new 500 GB as a backup instead of cloning it. I backed up the 320 GB to the 500 GB and it worked fine. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I’ll call this one a draw for now.

Again, thanks for the help.

:smiley: