Caviar Green Installation Discovery - a FYI

I was unaware of this forum until this morning.  Spent a major part of yesterday trying to add a WD10EARS to my XP system. 

Had it physically installed and tried to start “True Image” and the message said “you have to have at least one WD product installed.” Ooops. 

That started a wild search for this technically handicapped person - seems the SATA2 connector on the MB was disabled.  On my Dell Dimension 4700 Set-up, I could not find a way to enable it.  More searching, more searching - voila -

Enter Set-up

Turn on Scroll Lock, Num Lock and Caps Lock

Alt+E, Alt+F (Beep!), Alt+B

Computer reboots, discovers new hardware and driver and we are good to go. (Somewhere along the line, the SATA 2 connector on the MB was enabled)

I would guess that many people purchasing and installing new hard drives are doing it on older systems  like mine with an XP OS.

It would have been really nice if there were directions that included the “If XP does not recognize your new drive, here is a work around” - would have saved me approximately two to three hours on installation.

After clearing this hurdle, True Image performed flawlessly and the new drive is part of the system.:smiley:

hey, i actually find this kinda weird, because i was able to add this same hdd, to my 5 years windows xp machine, but i was able to get into the bios and enable the port in there…what kind of MoBo u have? 

Moon1 - I am not very tech savvy and could not find a way to enable in the BIOS - best I can find is that it is an Intel M3918 Mo Bo.  I tried Pg Up, Pg Down, R & L arrows, etc. and could not enable.  This was probably just a lack of know how on my part - guess if you are going to install a new hdd, you should know how to modify the BIOS:cry:

nah man, its ok, :wink: you got it working the first time around, so you are good to go