Caviar Green 1TB Bricked itself, and support is not willing to help me at all

Hello everyone,

I’m having a hard time with my 1,5 year old WD Caviar Green 1TB hard drive.

I aquired this drive back in '11 because my previous Seagate drive was bricked.

This problem was solved by their support, my data was saved, but the SMART state was really bad due to the shipping. And since that drive caused me trouble already, I wanted to switch to another drive. Looking on the web, many people said WD was better than Seagate and I should switch to them. So I did, and I regret that.

The drive I bought was a Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB drive made in January of that year, 2011. A new drive, a new start… that’s what I thought. A month ago or so, my PC would hang at the Windows 7 bootscreen, 2 of the orbs would appear in the background and it hanged on that forever. So I went to a PC repair shop. They thought it could be the PSU, but I told them I had a brandnew 750W (overkill) PSU. They looked at it and informed me that the HDD was broken. At my second PC, I went and checked it. The BIOS of my main PC could detect it but the secondary not. Windows would not detect the drive on both (hence the boot up hang), and it still wouldn’t do anything when in an external USB case. The drive however still acts like it’s fine, just spinning away. That was the problem with the Seagate too, no PC would detect it yet it would still spin. Seagate support did practically everything for me, including the money. The WD support however, is poor. VERY poor. Seagate had a chat that helped me inside of 5 minutes. WD has email support were 2(!) cases needed to open to get an answer from someone who obviously didn’t properly read my case, telling me that I should get a Windows tool. Yea fine, Windows won’t detect it but that utility sure will do it! *sarcasm*. And that took 'em 2 weeks. What is the issue with WD?! Everyone says they are better than Seagate, but I have proof they aren’t. What in the world can I do to get my data back?!

Hi do you really think coming to the WD user forum and insulting WD is the best way to get help. The reason the other guys helped you was they had 1000’s of bad firmware drives go bad and had to do something for there customers a huge mess. You can send your drive to a data recovery company and RMA it. A backup is having your data on more than one drive. Green drives are recommended for storage not as a boot drive. And it is possible for a hd tool to access a drive when windows cant

Well, you’re not really helpful nor a nice person either. I said a bad thing about WD, because my experience with them is obviously terrible, and you as a WD fanboy directly attack me for doing that. Thanks for the free speech. And did you pay attention? You’re just like the representative, that HD tool IS FOR WINDOWS DRIVES THAT WINDOWS DETECTS, IF WINDOWS AIN’T FINDING IT, IT WON’T HELP. Now I am sure you read that. I’m not going to pay money to get my drive fixed, cause that PCB board push-trick did do the job. And guess what? I’m getting my data off the drive onto a Seagate 1.5TB drive. [Deleted]

I am happy you got it sorted.

1 Like