CHKDSK stops on stage 4

Hey guys,

I have 4 Blue WD10EALS drives in a RAID5 enclosure.  I can drag and drop files no problem and the WD Software says that the RAID has passed the tests.

However, I get an error that says that it cannot find the appropriate sector whenever I try to write a backup to these drives (have tried many times with different software).  Again, the software passes the test.  

So in windows, I tried to run chkdsk /r but it gets stuck and wont finish.  So I used my Windows disk to enter command prompt in recovery mode to run chkdsk /r.  It gets stuck on stage 4 and won’t complete.  It has been sitting there for more than a day.

I think I was able to complete chkdsk /f but the backup still won’t write.  I have a lot of data on the RAID so a reformat is not an option.  What should I do?

Use another software like Data Lifeguard Diagnostics or HD Tune

Not sure if this is the best drive for Raid enclosures

I’be always use green and black

I have used both Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and HD Tune.  Both say the disks are ok and they pass.  

CHKDSK /r will still not finish :frowning:

If testing within the RAID enclosure that’s the problem

most applications don’t work when the drive is on RAID

Thank you, I really appreciate the help!

So I took out one of the 4 drives to test by itself and the LifeGuard Diagnostics says there are too many bad sectors.  I assume I should run chkdsk /r on these individually, but Windows sees them as unallocated and wants to initialize.

What should I do?  I don’t want to loose the data or the RAID configuration.

Not sure if this was the cause of it all, but I seem to remember turning my computer off earlier this year when chkdsk was running on the RAID before it got to Windows.

You can run chkdsk from DOS or use other tool

Thanks, unfortunately, I don’t know of any tool including DOS that will chkdsk an unallocated drive.  It looks like it is just one of the 4 and there is a rebuild feature on the RAID.  So I may be able to buy a new disk and let it rebuild.

Do you know how I can chkdsk an unallocated drive?  The disk will not be seen in the command prompt or recovery console.  Perhaps Western Digital has a tool for this?

Happy Thanksgiving!