Changing internal hard drive firmware.... help help please help

Hello to everyone … hope i can find the help i need here …

ok here it is … had friends over last night (with there children) … the children were setup on my computer and playing online games … that was fine for the first couple of hours … then it was time for them to go. so the one boy shuts down my computer (cuz that’s what he was taught to do when finished on the computer ) so everyone left and i went to turn on the computer and try to get some work done on a project i had been working on for a month or so … and low and behold my worst nightmare has showen up … there’s no boot device (what the f ) … so after panicking for a hour … i realized that the paramaters have change for the hard drive … how does this happen  … really really hope there’s a fix for this …

anyway here’s the paramiters  for the drive (Sorry for the long story BUT I REALLY NEED THIS PROJECT BACK )

WD1600JS-55NCB1  160GB

BUT NOW  IT READS AS

WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK   SN \ WDC-ROM SN#XYZ   8GB

so how do i flash the firmware back to the original and where can i get it

Hi NOMAD5150, your problem doesn’t seem related to a firmware problem. I would try connecting the hard drive as secondary to another computer and then run a DLG test to rule out any possible hardware damage. To recover your files you can try downloading a data recovery program, using Google you should be able to find several options. 

Thanks jubei04 … but i had already went to try that .thats how i found out the firmware had been changed … the physical drive is a western digital WD1600JS-55NCB1  160.0 GB HARD DRIVE … But now it shows up in the system and my friends system in the bios and in DOSDLG

MODEL NUMBER : WDC ROM MODEL-HAWK-----

UNIT SERIAL NUMBER : WDC-ROM SN# XYZ----

FIRMWARE NUMBER : 10.02E01

CAPACITY : 8.01 GB

have talked to a few techs at local computer stores since friday night … most say the same thing to me " good luck with that " and have a nice day

i really don’t want to mess with the drive that much … was hoping this would be an easy fix  … ya know… just flash it back get my stuff  low level the drive an start all over … god using this old lap top is like pulling teeth with wet noodles  

The drive is having difficulty reading the firmware modules in the hidden System Area (SA) on the platters. It then identifies itself using its factory alias.

Can you read any firmware modules using SeDiv?

http://sediv2008.narod.ru/Easy3.9Password01234567890.rar
http://sediv2008.narod.ru/Settings.rar

1 Like