Aligning WD10EZEX drive using the WD Align tool

Obviously, you know a lot more about hard drives than I do. So, I wouldn’t be able to comment on AZ Alignment.

I was going to mention this earlier. But, I felt it was unnecessary as WD Align is recognizing the WD10EZEX as an AF drive.

Now that we are considering all factors that could be the cause of the problem (especially after learning that an AF drive could have 512-byte physical sectors :dizzy_face: ), I would like to bring your attention to one line in the above Release Notes PDF file.

Version 1.1.0.506

* BPKT model is now recognized as an Advanced Format Disk

From the above line, it is my guess that WD Align is using hard-coded Drive Model Numbers. If that’s the case, it is reasonable to believe that WD Align needs to be updated for the newer models.

Publish date for WD Align is January 2012.

WD10EZEX was launched sometime around June-July 2012 (I got this date from customer reviews for the WD10EZEX on newegg.com). cnet.com reviewed this model in September 2012.

I may be wrong here. But, with the information I have so far, this is all I can think of. Being a software writer myself, I am aware of the “liberties” some programmers take. And I wouldn’t be surprised to know that WD Align wasn’t programmed to recognize newer models like the WD10EZEX and WD20EZRX. These are the two models I know with which other people have encountered problems aligning their partitions.