Established Member
orion24

Advanced Format and Native 4K

Looking answers for this for quite some time now:

1. Are any of the current WD drives Native 4K?

2. Can an AF drive with 512e work as native 4K under an OS that supports native 4K? (maybe designed with a possibility to disable 512e?)

3. Does 512e emulation have any performance penalty compated to native 4K?

I have 2 1TB Velociraptors in RAID-0 under Windows 7 x64 SP1. The ONLY reason I see for moving to Windows 8 is the native 4K support. But if the drives are "locked" to this 512e emulation mode even if the OS supports native 4K, then I'll stay with Windows 7 for now.

Trusted Contributor
Zatick

Re: Advanced Format and Native 4K

To the best of my knowledge:

1. No

2. Yes (no)

3. Yes, but we don't have any 4k native drives for comparison :smileyhappy:

The thing is that there are still a lot of people not on Windows 8. If someone were to come out with a 4k native drive their market is solely Win 8 and Win Server 2003. So maybe in a couple of years when we have the majority on OS's Win 8 or newer we'll start seeing 4k native drives.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Established Member
orion24

Re: Advanced Format and Native 4K

I hope so. But I've heard others saying that the answer for "2" is no and that the current line of 512e drives is doing the emulation no matter what.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD