3 TB not recognized in Win 7 64

I installed a third hard drive in my pavilion 8160 (P5LP-LE Leonite2) but of the 3T volume, Windows 7 (64) recognized only 750 GB of it. The Bios did correctly report the 3T capacity of the WDBH2D0030HNC  drive but not Windows 7. Any help is welcome. The drive has been setup as a datadrive (no MBR) and is formatted in GPT. Chipset on the motherboard is Intel 945 & ICH7DH.

Welcome to the Community.

If the hard drive was indeed initialized as GPT as opposed to MBR, then try looking for the partition info on Disk Management in case some space is unallocated. If not, then perhaps a low-level format (Writing zeros) is recommended.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1211/

Regards,

Thanks for this help; I will try the 0 format…

I was able to install the tool “Acronis True Image WD edition” and run the Drive cleaner procedure. It did remove the volume/partition and I could start from a blank sheet. First I used the Disk management tool in Acronis to add a disk. Unfortunately it gave me the same 746,4 GB capacity instead of 3TB. Next I tried to use the Extended Capacity Manager (for over 2TB disks) and this tool did not even see the additional 2.3 TB hanging arond on the disk. Still my Bios sees the full 3TB. So unfortunately I am still stuck with only 746. Suggestions ?

What happens if you change the SATA port? Some Motherboards will detect the hard drive’s full capacity but will not allow a full partition for drives larger than 2TB depending on the port’s configuration. Also, please try to write zeros using Data Lifeguard instead of Acronis and initialize and partition the drive through Windows Disk Management.

Regards,

Thanks Trancer,

Data lifeguard did not install on my PC for some reason. But I will start with the SATA connector swap. It is currently connected to the last SATA port; will use the second instead…

I tested the machine on different SATA ports (in fact all of them) but no change to the volume. Still stuck with 750.

I tried again the Datalifeguard software but halfway the diagnose process it fails with a generic windows message saying that the programm failed and windows will look for a solution…that one…I tried to lauch this program at prompt level (as administrator) but no difference.

I noticed a similar post on this forum dating back to late 2012 also related to a Green disk. The tread stopped an no solution was listed. Is there some firmware arround that may solve this issue. Intel (HP), Win 7 all seem fine with large disk support in GPT. Even a MBR disk there should be 2.2 TB available.

Thanks again for your help,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Support by Country
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

Regards,

Ok, I have agreed with support to exchange the disk. It may be a faulty one mostly motivated by the fact that Data lifeguard does not complete.

3 TB not recognized? Not even with extra motherboard software?

I have software that came with my PC’s Motherboard [ASRock 870 extreme 3] designed to use 3TB + HDD’s.

It mentioned nothing about working or not working with Win 7 64…

Yet I have never tested as My largest drive is 2 TB.

Or did you mean it does not support it without thrid party software.

Any Info, Hints, etc.are appreciated.

Thanks.

Best of luck.

Westerd Digital has excellent customer service, and excellent drives.

No, trying to run it with no extra software. According to MS support it should work in windows 7&8, when formatted in GPT (not as a MBR). I do get help from WD at the moment, but no solution yet.

Agreed ! No regrets there.