2TB in USB dock failing to stay writable

I have a four disk RAID stripe 5 in an OWC case with WD 500GB drives and one drive has died. I just purchased a WD2003FZEX 2TB to backup the RAID. My plan was to back it up to the new drive and then buy four new 2TB WD drives for the RAID. But… the one I just purchased is having trouble staying in a writable mode. Copying and Time Machine backups worked after I used the WD Manager uninstaller but after a short time, it stops working. TM gives me an error (-50) and I can’t even make a new folder on it. If I eject and remount it, it’ll work again but that is not right. I added Administrator privliges to it.

What should I do to make it work consistantly? And, will I have the same problem with a new RAID setup? I also have a WD 750GB internal in my MacBook Pro and haven’t had any problems with it. I’m on Mavericks 10.9.4 and wish I could just go back to Mountain Lion because there are many problems with Mavericks. The USB dock is not the problem, I think, because my old 500GB 2.5 internal Mac drive works in it without any problems. Thanks.

Hi,

The new drive (WD2003FZEX ) is connected internally on the computer or is on a external enclosure?

If it’s internally connected, test the unit on the disk utilities to see if there’s any issues with the drive it self.

See the following link for assistance.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/866/session/L2F2LzEvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xNDA1NTQwNDQ3L3NpZC84VFFvcHNabA%3D%3D