WDTV Live + Windows 7 "Invalid Username and Password. Please Try Again Later"

uninstalled it yesterday and was back today. uninstalled it again and manually blocked any optional update that might contain it.

Will hoefeully work. annoying.

Actually I had Tversity working fine and suddenly it stopped and I could not get it working again up till now. probably a similar issue?

Yeah, I just found it again on my system.  I’m reasonably sure it’s not a windows update though.  It apparently comes though GFWL, which must update independently from automatic updates.

This thread alleges that the problem is with Samba failing to negotiate with the sign-in assistant installed (and confirmed by the samba bug report).  This means that it’s on WD to update their player.  Considering they just released an update for the WDTV that did not address this issue, maybe the new version of samba will be implemented in the next update.  It’s more urgent than ever since the sign-in assistant seems to be installing automatically now.  It’s upsetting that WD has not commented on this issue.

Of course, I don’t actually know for sure whether the WDTV uses samba, but it’s probably a safe assumption.

Yes, Until this weeks release, the WDTVs used SAMBA 3.0.28a. The CURRENT version uses 3.5.1, which indicates to me that WD has begun working on integrating the new fixes and we will likely see a fix soon.

Hello,

Has the latest firmware update (1.03.49_B) for the WDTVlive Plus corrected this problem?

Thank you,

Dana

No, not in the last 36 hours…  :smileyvery-happy:

@Dana - nope the problem has not been corrected with the new release. In fact windows keeps downloading sign-in assistant because it is a critical update, so I had to hide/block the update so it wouldn’t download again and mess up my WDTV.

I wish they would fix this soon, my windows live games are suffering! =)  

Thank you for the reply.

Dana

I’ve tried all the solutions on these forums… creating a WDTV account on my computer… reloading the old firmware… clearing out the network password in the settings… nothing works.  Finally I downloaded Tversity media server and am using that to access my files on my computer (via media server vs network share).  So far this workaround “works” but I miss the functionality I had just a few days ago…browsing network shares!  I hope someone (WD?) figures out a solution to this asap.

1 Like

The solution has already been figured out. Just need to be patient and wait for it to be fixed.

Well the latest update corrected this issue for me.  So well done WD.  Not a bad turnaround considering they had to wait on the SAMBA team.  You made it in by thanksgiving.

Now PlayOn is broken.  But that’s on them to fix.

Also, when did this thread flip direction for ascending to descending?

stradric wrote:

Also, when did this thread flip direction for ascending to descending?

When you changed the topic options at the top of the page.

Ha.  I knew it was going to be something stupid like that.  Doh.

This is a very easy fix.

Step 1: Open up your Networking and Sharing Center, and on the left hand side click on Change advanced sharing settings. Here is the direct path to advanced sharing settings.

(Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings)

Step 2: Scroll down to the bottom, and under Password protected sharing select Turn off password protected sharing. Also, under HomeGroup connections select Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers.

Step 3: Right click on the folders you want to share, scroll down to share with and click on specific people. Type ‘Everyone’ in the box and hit add. Note: Don’t type ‘Everyone’ with the quote marks, just type Everyone. Repeat this for every folder that you want to share.

Thats it, you’re done! There is no need to unistall Windows live or edit the registry or whatever everyone else is saying to do.

TLOCK878, No, that’s not correct…   That workaround, won’t work at all if Windows Live Essentials is installed.   The only viable workaround is to use firmware 1.4.10.  

It works for me, I have Windows 7 64-bit and windows live essentials installed. I have no problem viewing my network shares. I was having an issue with it saying invaild user name or password until I did this fix. If this isn’t working for you, the only other suggestion I have is to download TVersity. It’s free and works great.

I’m with TonyPh12345.  And I have confirmed that the 1.4.10 firmware works (beautifully I might add).  This is the best solution.  I’m not sure if tlock878’s solution works, but it is not a viable option in some cases as it reduces the access to the file shares to read only (or creates a horrendous security risk otherwise). 

Come to think of it, I recall trying this workaround when the problem first surfaced and it did not work.  If the Windows Live Sign-In Assistant is installed, it will cause Windows to throw up additional authentication steps that the SAMBA code could not handle at the time.  The latest version of SAMBA that includes the fix for this issue has been implemented by WD in the 1.4.10 firmware.  I think my WDTV Live has never worked better.  DVD menu support is appreciated as well.

Thank you! I’ve been fighting this for 2 days.  What a mess. Between Master Browser mess, and this, I was ready to just go buy an appletv.