WDTV Live - random avi files being converted to folders

Hey guys, I just joined just to comment on this issue.  I too have been having these same issues.  I just downloaded the two previous versions to do the proper rollback.  I will give that a try later.  My question is this:  Is there another type/brand of media player that works similarly to the the WDlive that will handle the files and work just as well??  I mean if WD has no concern about actually fixing this issue, then we obviously need to find an alternative.  No, I don’t  want to run HTPC or have to have a PC on to watch movies.  The WDlive has been awesome and perfect for my use until lately…  It seems from reading all the pages on this topic that there are issues using a drive larger than 2TB, right?  I’m at the point where I’m going to have move up in size soon, so the rollback may not be a permanant solution.  Thoughts?

I have been wondering about that too ever since I realised that WD will not release a fix. Before I did come to this relisation I bought the next version of the WD box that has the built in wireless but I haven’t switched them around as I don’t have a network connection in the other room hence the need for the wireless option and also the change seems to be random so I’m not sure how long I’d need to leave the new one in place before calling it a success, it would mean no watching in the other room.

I have recently invested in a Google Chromecast (hopefully mentioning competing products won’t get this message flagged/removed or me for that matter!) which doesn’t interact directly with the HDD via USB so I’d need to leave the HDD hooked up to a computer and stream it to it but since I can stream to the WD TV Live anyway the extra purchase is unnesseccary, I could just use the HDD on my computer and stream/access it from the WD TV Live.

The WD TV Live keeps everything in one location and I’ve now guided my family on how to use it so it’s pointless changing it now since other users have posted their working solutions to restore files that were converted. It’s just a hassle to have to check every so often and restore files before one of them goes to watch something.

I was thinking that my HDD is a WD brand but it’s a spindle drive not a SSD/Flash drive. Does everyone else who had this issue use spindle drives or has anyone had the issue with SSD/flash drives? I was thinking of changing to see if maybe this makes a difference.

Hi there,

It’s been some time since I posted anything on this issue. I have mainly been facing this problem only with my non WD hard drives, 1TB, 2TB and portable. My 1TB and 2TB WD hard drives DO NOT have this problem and I play small and large full HD MKVs from these drives without any trouble. I check them now and then in my PC or laptop, and no such issues with the WD drives. Somehow, it is happening only with non WD drives.

So with great difficulty, I have restricted myself to using only the WD drives with the player. This means that if I want to watch something that is on non WD drives, I have to copy that stuff to one of the WD drives and then watch. It is a pain, but this is the only workaround as of now for me and it has been going ok so far.

I am thinking of getting the latest version of the player, which is simply called WD TV Media Player.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1270

It looks exactly the same as the Streaming Media Player before this one with the built in WiFi. Not sure what improvements have been made to this model. I just hope the issue does not surface with this model.

Also, I remember in the last update for the Streaming Media Player model, they had enable DTS HD MA pass through, which is great. I have some movies with DTS HD MA which I would like to play. Right now they just play in DTS core, though I can use XBMC in my PC to play this through HDMI, where I get the full DTS HD MA output.

VSG12777 wrote:

So with great difficulty, I have restricted myself to using only the WD drives with the player. This means that if I want to watch something that is on non WD drives, I have to copy that stuff to one of the WD drives and then watch.

No, it means you rollback to 1.06.15 and watch from all your drives.

Trouble with rollback is you get prompted to update to the new firmware every time you start the device.

Actually, I have WD 1TB, and 2TB(usb 3.0) drives and I have this problem…  I really like my old faithful WD live player, and it **bleep** that this is happening, but I think it may be prudent to make a change if WD is gonna leave us hanging on something they can easily fix with an update.  That just bad business.  I just need to find one that has 2USBs and digital out that will play my .vob files I guess:(  

I’ve seen the issue with 3 different WD drives

Negh_Var wrote:

Trouble with rollback is you get prompted to update to the new firmware every time you start the device.

If it’s too much to scroll over this you could blacklist the update server in your router.

Same problem here, but with a ldifference, what turn to folders are .cue and .m3u files in my FLAC album folders.

When i try to fix them with TheBigSimon’s patch, it says no file to patch, but when i change to extensions(.cue and .m3u) to .jpeg and .avi (for just to be sure if the patch works for other formats), the program recognise the files to patch. But of course it doesn’t fix them.

I need help, my entire FLAC archive is in danger if i can’t fix my files :frowning:

Thanks in advance.

NEVER rely on a single harddisk copy of files, which cannot be easily reproduced!

1 Like

Hi, i am running into the same problem with my wd hd live and samsung story 1,5Tb HD. Would u mind to gimme more info about the patch you created. I downloaded and it´s an .exe file but no more info or usage info. How can it fix wdtv player if it´s a win .exe file? Will it run inside network or what? Sorry for my dumb questions and thank you in advance for yr help.

Rgds 

Antonio

double click the WDFilePatch.exe and the rest is self explanatory

Thanks alternatif?  https://www.google.com.tr/#q=canl%C4%B1+tv

fox izle

TheBigSimon wrote:

Hi download and use my programs it work for all kind of file. After if you don’t want any problem go to manage video on your WD and don’t set the preview mode. 

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=5DCED83AB911926A&resid=5DCED83AB911926A%21395&authkey=AE27sU9jf-Gl6PI

Hi, I’ve used your program several times, and it some cases it works fine, in others it converts the folder back to file, but the audio is missing. I still have some mkv’s without audio, so if you want to analyze, I can send them to you. It’s frustrating because otherwise it’s perfect tool for us poor WDTV customers.

Note: I have WDTV Live, two HDDs, one is WD Elements 300 GB, the other is Adata 500 GB, the WDTV likes to convert both of them, so there goes (again) someone’s theory with WD hdd’s.

How can this be possible? The tool gets back the file, how would it remove an audio stream from it without any muxing capabilities?

Beats me. But this is the reality. It has happened more than once, and it seems it’s random behavior. But from 10 selected movies, one turned out ok, the other 9 had no audio when playing (on wdtv as well on VLC player running on windows machine). MediaInfo shows that audio is present. I could post links for both the correct and incorrect version of the same file, if someone is willing to analyze.

Comparing them in explorer, I see that the converted file is some 4 KB smaller than original. Anyway, I have uploaded both of them to the dropbox, so if anybody wants to compare, send me a private message, and I’ll reply with download links.

One thing, I have read an advice in previous posts to turn off preview mode, and it seems that works. It’s now been 7 days since I turned that off, and my daughter says none of their cartoons is missing. We’ll see, but that looks promising, and a clue to WD staff, if there is any left there to debug this strange phenomenon.

1 Like

It is unfortunate that a company like WD has not yet released a patch to fix this problem which is one of the most serious that has the WDTV …

es lamentable que una empresa como WD aún no haya sacado un parche para solucionar este problema, que es uno de los mas graves que tiene el WDTV…

Still no file has been eaten. It seems this works. Great. :slight_smile:

Of course it would be nicer to have the preview mode…