WDTV Live Limited Public Beta 1.03.38_V (8/11/10)

TheTooleMan wrote:

Why doesn’t someone close this thread, if this beta has been replaced by 1.03.40???

Now, my eyes are bleeding…  

I cannot access restricted SMB-shares when guest-access is enabled for the root-share.

WDLTV is connecting to the share without prompting for username-password but then it does not display the restricted shares. Only way to access shares with WDLTV in this case is to enable guest-access for sub-shares - not good :dizzy_face:

So whats the problem in displaying restricted shares and prompting for password?

And bug in the “auto login to network share” feature:

It seems this works only for the last entered username/password for a specific smb-share. If accessing another share (even it has the same username/password combination it has to be retyped (no domain-controller but different windows-pcs)) login informations of the “old” share are getting lost and have to be reentered on next access.

… very annoying

Wizbee wrote:

Hi, 

When I go after turning on to video\network shares\ and choose my Zyxel nsa-200 the WD almost always freezes in “connection” status. Then I push “back” buttom on my remote controller to get back in to the menu. There is a workaround here… If I go to Youtube first then WD always connects to network shares .

Same here. I have to go to my DLNA media server and back to access my “network share” over CIFS (same NAS).

I wish WD could implement NFS or expand the DLNA functionality.

dro666 wrote:

And bug in the “auto login to network share” feature:

It seems this works only for the last entered username/password for a specific smb-share. If accessing another share (even it has the same username/password combination it has to be retyped (no domain-controller but different windows-pcs)) login informations of the “old” share are getting lost and have to be reentered on next access.

… very annoying

Hmmmm.  I haven’t found that to be the case.    I have three different media volumes shared, two of which have the same login and the third is different.   After initial login, I’ve never had to do it again…

Also, the WDTV will ask for credentials on ANY share, guest or otherwise.   If it’s not asking you, then it’s already cached the credentials for that share.

Are you saying that you have your ROOT set for Guest Access, and then within root, you have another folder that has specific credentials.

Then, you want to be able to “Mount” the ROOT (as guest) and navigate to the RESTRICTED FOLDER, and have it ask you to log-in again?

… or are you saying that if you have a “Share within a Share,” that only the TOP share is listed after you click the server?

If it’s the former, then yeah, that’s not going to work.

richUK wrote:

TheTooleMan wrote:

Why doesn’t someone close this thread, if this beta has been replaced by 1.03.40???

It has not been replaced by 1.03.40. That was not meant to be a general release. You will note that the 1.03.40 thread was started by a user and not by WD. This is the last general beta release for the Live.

Once upon a time, there was a beta release which was replaced by 1.03.38_V. I assume 1.03.38_V incorporated the previous beta plus fixes for any shortcomings discovered in the previous beta.  Based on that assumption, it would be logical, Mr. Spock, for 1.03.40 to include 1.03.38 plus fixes for its shortcomings, too, as WD aims toward perfection.

That’s the way we did it on the software projects I managed, anyway.

So what, exactly, is 1.03.40? If it is a beta, why are there two active betas? Maybe someone could explain that in enough detail that it would make sense.

By the way, RichUK, do you have some kind of knowledge of the inner workings of WD?

richUK wrote:

veda2810 wrote:

WHEN WILL THE FINAL VERSION BE RELEASED !!!    

When its ready.

What’s taking so long? Is the (sole) support person on permanent vacation?

Techflaws wrote:

And probably also no moment sooner than people quit using colors for emphasis.

Resentment of the advanced users’ mastery of the forum tools is immature behavior.

NO “delete post” button? Where is the “suggestions for better forums” forum?

:dizzy_face:

TheTooleMan wrote:

I would have thought an “Advanced User” would know that it’s the Forum Feedback sub-forum.  ;)

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/bd-p/feedback

And if you want a post deleted, Report it and ask the moderation team (aka Bill) to remove it for you.  Works for me.

TheTooleMan wrote:

richUK wrote:

TheTooleMan wrote:

It has not been replaced by 1.03.40. That was not meant to be a general release. You will note that the 1.03.40 thread was started by a user and not by WD. This is the last general beta release for the Live.

Once upon a time, there was a beta release which was replaced by 1.03.38_V. I assume 1.03.38_V incorporated the previous beta plus fixes for any shortcomings discovered in the previous beta.  Based on that assumption, it would be logical, Mr. Spock, for 1.03.40 to include 1.03.38 plus fixes for its shortcomings, too, as WD aims toward perfection.

That’s the way we did it on the software projects I managed, anyway.

So what, exactly, is 1.03.40? If it is a beta, why are there two active betas? Maybe someone could explain that in enough detail that it would make sense.

The last general and WD publicised beta release was 1.03.38. There have been also releases of 1.03.39 and 1.03.40 to certain users - I was not one of these users so I have no further knowledge. However these two betas were not publicised by WD and were only mentioned by users. You will note that the thread for beta 1.03.40 was started by a  user and not WD.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WDTV-Live-1-03-40-Beta/td-p/55642

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Beta-v1-03-40/td-p/55228

The word from WD regarding 1.03.40

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Beta-v1-03-40/m-p/55494/highlight/true#M4531

Fix for the Windows Live Id-Assistant (Windows Live Essentials 2011) incompatibility (Shares on Windows 7):

https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7577

Morrallas, that’s not the only thing required to fix it.

The bigger issue is that they have to be using Samba 3.4.x or higher to even apply this patch.   

The Live and Plus are both based on 3.0.  So, a whole version change of Samba and all its dependencies and API code will be required.

That said, I agree!  It needs to be fixed!

PixelPower wrote:

TheTooleMan wrote:

I would have thought an “Advanced User” would know that it’s the Forum Feedback sub-forum.  ;)

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/bd-p/feedback

And if you want a post deleted, Report it and ask the moderation team (aka Bill) to remove it for you.  Works for me.

I’m not sure how I got to be an “advanced user,” but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t from my knowledge of how the forums work. You know what happens when you assume, right?

I think I’m an advanced user of the WDTV Live, not the forums. And I got that way through a painful process that is documented somewhere in the back issues of these forums. The novel will be published one day, too.

TheTooleMan wrote:

PixelPower wrote:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/bd-p/feedback.

I’m not sure how I got to be an “advanced user,” but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t from my knowledge of how the forums work. You know what happens when you assume, right?

I was poking fun at your reply to TechFlaws:

TheTooleMan wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

And probably also no moment sooner than people quit using colors for emphasis.

Resentment of the advanced users’ mastery of the forum tools is immature behavior.

I didn’t assume anything; I was quoting you.  :)

When is this version available as a public firmware?

Never mind!  The forum is playing games with my brain; I replied to a post over 4 months old because it showed as NEW.  Hmmm.

JMadsen wrote:

When is this version available as a public firmware?

There are issues with HDMI that need to be resolved before the features of this firmware can be made into a stable public release.  

WD do not provide estimated release dates, so anything anyone says here (unless they have a little WD icon next to their name) is a complete guess.

My guess would be closer to Christmas, if not early 2011.

Unfortunately, as soon as you try to see an AC3-AAC movie, the system will surely “hang” and no DTS file audio track is longer reproduced, only AC3-AAC tracks.

Menu change in “stereo” mode is then needed, then go back to “digital” to play another DTS movie.

In all beta version is this problem ! 

On stable on some works and some mkv files get error message that is file corupt ! 

We will be releasing, sometime today, beta version 1.03.42 for the WD TV Live in order to home in on correcting some HDMI issues.  For that reason, I’m closing this thread.