WDTV Live Limited Public Beta 1.03.38_V (8/11/10)

Ace75 wrote:

I am doing a full backup of the disc to DVD9, but I am having it go straight to the movie title

• *> Re-back up the disc without having it skip straight to the movie and see if it works.  I’m almost willing to bet that this is the problem.> > In general it’s usually not an issue to disable UOPs, but if you start reordering playback (which skip-to-feature does) things can get messy pretty quickly.

CASE 1

When HDD is connected via USB:

Folder with
folder.jpg
moviename.mkv

Highlighting that folder and pressing Play button starts the movie. Great!

CASE 2

When HDD is connected via Network:

Folder with
folder.jpg
moviename.mkv

Highlighting that folder and pressing Play button opens up the JPG file, what? Sad. :cry:

Please fix this, thank you.

Thanks for the Update - Love Mediafly

Any one have a list of  Mcodes - other than Mediafly which we already have.

1Roger1

Did not work for me with Panasonic Viera TH-65PV600A  (Australia 50Hz).  Black screen and had to switch over to Composite.  Tried all different HDMI settings (and Auto) but WD reported TV did not support.  Rolled Back to 1.02.21 and all is OK again now.

Interesting how MP4 audio issues have been “fixed” on this release: There is now NO audio available by “Digital” or “Digital without HDMI Audio” from .mp4 videos with AAC audio (!) Audio on these videos is only available via “Stereo” which kinda defeats the purpose of 5.1 AAC tracks. Frankly I cannot believe how long it is taking WD to get a stable release of this firmware, particularly considering that the player is promoted as having Mediafly available when in fact this feature is only available via unstable betas. The long lead-time between official firmware releases (& the sheer bugginess of most releases) means that WD is now losing traction to its competition. (Incidentally the the current official firmware v1_02_21 provides down-mixed & occasionally ‘choppy’ 2ch audio from AAC 5.1 MP4 files when set on “Digital” output. While this isn’t 5.1, it’s at least better than NO audio as provided by this beta release).

The Live has *never* passed through 5.1 AAC audio tracks, so this beta release did not break them.

I’m quite happy with the public Beta.

I had some issues with connection problems to Samba shares, which I didn’t have with the 1.2.21 release. These may be  caused if you click too fast through the menues. Leave one second between clicks and network problems disappear.

Mediafly is great and I do not have any HDMI problems. 1.3.38 is surely superior to the previous release.

jarrod wrote:

Did not work for me with Panasonic Viera TH-65PV600A  (Australia 50Hz).  Black screen and had to switch over to Composite.  Tried all different HDMI settings (and Auto) but WD reported TV did not support.  Rolled Back to 1.02.21 and all is OK again now.

I got over the issue you describe by doing a “reset to factory settings” with the botton next to the top USB connection.

After that, HDMI outout worked for my Toshiba 32c3035dg tv.

Previous released firmware down-mixed 5.1 AAC audio from .mp4 files to stereo when the player was set to Digital out. I backgraded from the Beta to the current stable release 1.02.21 and have a such a file playing now. While the audio is not perfect (i.e… it down-mixed and suffers from occasional pauses) at least there is audio.  However I have found a more reliable solution is to repackage these files in Mediacoder preserving the H.264 video unchanged and transcoding only the AAC audio to AC3. Such audio-only transcodes in Mediacode can be completed in minutes instead of hours.

Correzpond wrote:

Previous released firmware down-mixed 5.1 AAC audio from .mp4 files to stereo when the player was set to Digital out. I backgraded from the Beta to the current stable release 1.02.21 and have a such a file playing now. While the audio is not perfect (i.e… it down-mixed and suffers from occasional pauses) at least there is audio.  However I have found a more reliable solution is to repackage these files in Mediacoder preserving the H.264 video unchanged and transcoding only the AAC audio to AC3. Such audio-only transcodes in Mediacode can be completed in minutes instead of hours.

I think the Live may be bitstreaming the AAC 5.1 instead of downmixing as it used to.  That’s great for the handful of people with an AVR capable of decoding AAC, not so great for regular folk.

However, as you are doing, I long ago converted all my AAC 5.1 files to AC-3.  I used Heartware’s Audio Converter (also known as the Popcorn MKV Converter).  It can also convert FLAC and DTS to AC-3.  Handy free tool.  :)

Hi,

i’ve just updated both of my wd tv live to this new beta release. the on that is connected to my lcd tv works great but with the one that is connected to my lcd monitor via HDMI<>DVI adapter i get nothing on the screen, only the boot logo and then the lcd goes to suspend mode after some seconds. it seems that it gets no signal. i have reconfigured it to HDMI but this doesn’t help anything. after downgrading to the last official release (1.02.21) everything works fine again. have there been any changes which could cause such a behavior?

greetings,

mike

HI!

I missed to have the beta version. Does anybody know is it still available somewhere? The other which came to my mind is that does that beta make .sub subtitle files supported?

I experience DTS passthrough thru HDMI issue’s

WDTVLive connected HDMI (only) → Denon AVR-3311 → Panasonic VT20

I can play various Dolby soundtracks but no DTS tracks. Audio = DIGITAL.

Receiver does not receive correct audiostream when selecting source DTS stream. Playing Dolby soundtracks does trigger the Receiver but not with DTS tracks.

When selecting audio = STEREO, all work wel as the WDTVlive decodes all streams.

As far the setup is new the only tested firmware is this 1.03.38 version.

DTS (core) passthrough has to be possible with DIGITAL thru HMDI?

Thanks for the replies, it now works, unfortunately cannot tell what exactly is changed but resetting both sides did work (AVR-3311 not completely flawless)

DTS core passthrough is definitely possible – I do it all the time.  Can you post the media info on a file that isn’t working for you?

(Now, I haven’t installed the beta firmware so I can’t say whether it broke this or not).

Hoqane5150 wrote:> The other which came to my mind is that does that beta make .sub subtitle files supported?

You should search for the beta and try it yourself cause several subs have this extension and not all are suppoted.

Hi there all. I thought I would share my experience with the Beta 1.03.38_V.

I recently moved from a Wd hdtv 1st generation to a Wd Live FW 1.02.21. Running this into a Samsung Ps50 which is only 1080i using HDMI. Easy setup and  was working great until I had problems with audio stopping after about 25 mins when playing some .MP4 movies. I had the unit set to stereo, Hdmi 12bit 1080i 50hz… Looked this up on this forum, managed to find a site with the beta and flashed to Beta 1.03.38_V. I then had the HDMI experience of  green screen. Rolled back to 1.02.21 and unit worked fine.

After more research on this forum I set the unit to 1080i 50hz 8 bit . I then reflashed to Beta 1.03.38_V. waited for the  unit to reboot a couple of times and once again got the green screen. Pushed the reset button on the unit with a pin, unit rebooted and found unit was now fully functional. Did happy dance around my Lounge.

As far as I can tell unit works well in almost all facets I have tried. I have not tried the optical out into my AV unit yet.

Just wanted to share my experience and say keep up the good work WD. And many thanks to the community for all the hints.

I just noticed  the system registration function in my copy of Beta 1.03.38_V  doesn’t work.

I enter the data and then it tells me it can’t connect to the network and dumps me back

to the settings menu.

I’ve check online and my device is registered.

Hi.  I’m having an ongoing problem with using my WDTVLIVEs, since the start of the betas. When I turn on the device (or haven’t used it for awhile. Ie left the screensaver running), and select my Network Share, very frequently it hangs, and eventually displays a “The network share can not be accessed” message.  Repeating the selection normally doesn’t help. 

However, what usually works, is to select Settings->Network Settings->Check Connection.  It always passes, and then everything works ok.  On the rare occasion that it doesn’t work, resetting (Checking) the network a second time always fixes it.

I never have disconnects when I’m viewing a video, or browsing the folders, once I’ve successfully connected.

My Network Environment:

- Network router (& NAS):  Linksys WRT610N (with 2TB WD My Book Elite)

- Media Players:  2 X WDTVLIVE  (with Firmware:  1.03.38_V) wired to router

- Computers:  Vista peer-to-peer network, mixed wireless/wired PC’s

- Same workgroup across all PC / WDTVLIVE’s

I would very much appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks!