WDTV Live firmware update - warning!

That’s weired!

v 1. 101.12 ?

Anyone else has a unit asking to upgrade?

My return shipping from Australia was just approved by support and they will email me a label as I refused to take no for an answer, unfortunately the advanced RMA option is not available for Australia so I have to wait for mine to arrive in Singapore before they dispatch a new one. I had to give the guy a geography lesson however and convince him that Australia was not part of Europe/Canada or the USA so therefore the website would not let me advance RMA. I am not sure where in the world he thought Australia was… I wouldn’t worry about getting refurbished units either as WD have made clear that they do not ever repair these items as they are not worth the trouble. They probably churn them out of China for a couple of dollars a unit so the margin would support throwing them away when they break.

sorry i meant 1.01.12

FYI:

Robert Herron of the HD Nation webcast gave a mostly good review of the WDTV Live in the latest episode at http://revision3.com/hdnation.  He mentioned the 1.01.11 fireware, how it contained many fixes, and the ease of updating the unit via the web.  But interestingly though, he didn’t mention the 1.01.12 firmware and the nightmare it caused.  I encourage everyone to head over to their forum and voice their opinion in the latest episode thread at:

http://revision3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31897

Let Robert know what you think.  Perhaps we can get him to mention our plight in the next episode.

-AJ

I bet they filmed it before the 1.01.12 dropped or after they pulled it. He mentioned that 1.01.11 is the newest firmware.

I’m still wondering what OMDB-PILoT- meant by Excellent News!  Were you commenting on nCoder’s message about WD covering costs of replacement or were you suggesting that a fix will soon be available for “bricked” units.  I still have a few days before I have to send my unit back on the RMA from NCIX (shipping at my expense) and I would like to know if I should hold off and wait for WD to come up with the CPR for the dead units.

got my replacement unit today by ups, it left california yesterday. the unit seems to be an open box but had no scratches or anything, but the case was semi-open so I’m guessing the board inside was changed at a factory, or was it the plastic case ? the box has all the cables, batteries and power supply just like a new unit. firmware inside is .11. now i’ll be sending the faulty unit back with the prepaid return label.

It took a full week for things to settle, I’m glad i’m done with all this.

waiting for( what i presume to be) a new unit from “Komplett.no”. Hope they just can get the finger out.(was that bad English?) :slight_smile:

The USB drive has to be formatted as Fat16 or Fat32 not Fat. Many USB drives are still being formatted as FAT.
Make sure the USB you use for firmware upgrade is formatted as Fat32. The Olplay and BoxOffice can
recognize all formats. You can still fix the WDTV by inserting a new FAT16 or FAT32 formatted USB drive into
any port containing the new bin and ver files, then unplug and re-plug the power supply cord. Also insure you

drag the two files from within the zip container, do not unpack them.

The USB drive has to be formatted as Fat16 or Fat32 not Fat. Many USB drives are still being formatted as FAT.
Make sure the USB you use for firmware upgrade is formatted as Fat32. The Olplay and BoxOffice can
recognize all formats. You can still fix the WDTV by inserting a new FAT16 or FAT32 formatted USB drive into
any port containing the new bin and ver files, then unplug and re-plug the power supply cord. Also insure you

drag the two files from within the zip container, do not unpack them.

Recommendation:

Product vendors should include a suitable USB drive with their products with the current

firmware and software loaded instead of obsolete CD’s and DVD’s littering our landfills.

Future upgrades could be downloaded to this device via a self-opening batch file. Click

on the file and it’s that simple. Just think of all the time and grief it would save. Not to

mention all the millions $$$ saved in useless recalls and customer support.        

Just to your information: a positive story: I’m living in Germany:

Having read the whole discussion this week about the …12 firmware I was happy

to wait until the “storm was over”

Having ordered a new WD TV Live yesterday via Amazon, I received the unit today within 24 hours, :smiley:

productnumber WDBAAP0000NBK-00

Upgraded from firmware …01 to 1.01.11 by downloading from WD, unpacking ZIP

on fat32 formatted 8Gb stick. Powered on, activation via WD Menu etc. Waiting a few minutes

and voila, after the second restart a fully functional unit.

For the time being I am happy … :wink:

drag the two files from within the zip container, do not unpack them. It would be smart to date the posts

and list them in that order. There is only one Monday per week but numerous per month, more per year and

so on. Listing posts as per the day is ironic. Also resetting the view count after 400 is counter productive.    

Well Reinder, That`s because version 1.01.11 is acually the (Good) firmare that was out before the “disasterous” 1.01.12 .

WD removed the ver.12 after the firm.wa.re had a extensive bricking raid all over the globe :slight_smile: and they replaced it with the old working ver.11 . Havent heard of anybody that had problems vith that version. I installed it over the internet with no problems at all, but STAY CLEAR of version 1.01.12 !!! My wd-live was bricked by that version, and i had to go to the shop and replace it with a new one. (For free) just printed out the reply from WD support, no questions asked :-), but still annoying since it happened on a Friday evening, and i was planning to watch a couple of movies, so i had to use my PS3 again to watch the movies.

I will certainly think twice before i dare to update the firmw.a.re again. Allthough i think that WD have learned their lesson with 1.01.12 :smiley:

I have at least 10 USB memory sticks, most were “free” but I’m sure I paid one way or another :slight_smile: I would be totally surprised if most people don’t have at least 2 or 3. Forget the discs as you suggested but I really don’t want to pay for another USB stick. Just let everyone download files.

And finally one brand new Unit makes it way back to me. Thank you “Komplett.no”. 

As for WD. hmmmmmmmmmmm. 

No new firmware going in to this unit until new firmware that fixes the sync problem.

Hopefully no bricking next time.

WD says that for advance RMA in Europe we should expect to receive the unit in 3-5 business days.

Mine is taking a long time to be sent - still being processed. I created advance RMA on Dec09, today is 15, so only 1 day to expire :( 

Lets hope I receive the unit before christmas

Sent my RMA unit to WD Canada on Dec 2 (MISSISSAUGA).  Canada Post tracking shows it was received on Dec 4 complete with a receiving signature.  But WD RMA status still shows “waiting for product”.  It’s now Dec 15.  What should I do?

-AJ

That’s the problem, most free USB drives are 2Gig and smaller and formatted as FAT. These are no good for the WDTV firmware upgrade. As I stated before if you allow everyone to download whatever they want onto whatever they want, then nothing works. Definition of technology was smart people operating dumb terminals, now it’s dumb people operating smart terminals.   

victorypoint wrote:

Sent my RMA unit to WD Canada on Dec 2 (MISSISSAUGA).  Canada Post tracking shows it was received on Dec 4 complete with a receiving signature.  But WD RMA status still shows “waiting for product”.  It’s now Dec 15.  What should I do?

-AJ

This simply means that your drive hasn’t been processed. It takes time for them to check your unit to make sure you haven’t voided the warranty (run over it with a car, taken the thing apart, thrown it in a swimming pool etc.) - I wouldn’t worry too much unless it still shows that after a week or two. Did you do an advanced or a standard RMA?