WDTV Live firmware update - warning!

So my unit is going back tomorrow or the next day. RMA. At least they have agreed to pay the return delivery.

If we had 30 day return policy in Norway I would have been ok. But we don’t it’s only 14days(With full refund) :frowning:

Still have faint hope that WD comes up with a solution fast. Then I would not have to RMA the unit

How did you get response? 

Why doesn’t WD explain here what we shuld do? :frowning:

To contact WD you can call or email  Click here .  I think phone support is the quicker option, but I hope you are good at listening through some thick accents (unless you are in India or whereever support is located.)

But yeah WD owes an explanation and needs to let us know if they are bricked for good. 

1 Like

I hope they could release some sort of boot-loader that could be flashed in a USB pen drive, that could revive the unit.

I just realized how much I liked my WDTVLive - I cannot live without it :slight_smile:

I decided it wouldnt hurt to call back best buy one more time. I am pat the 30 day return policy and when i called the first time they told me to call WD. 

This time I nicely asked **bleep** and they are even holding it for me. <3 Best Buy

Nice to see a company protectin their customers. It’s your move WD…

Seriously this **bleep** off. (there bleep that)

Wished I read this before accepting firmware update.  Last night plugged my new WD Live in for the very first time and it asked for an update.  Accepted, dowloaded and reset and somehow it has continued to function fine.   How come this one didn’t get bricked?   WD must have updated their broken firmware between Tuesday and yesterday.

Timing is everything.

My problem is solved. :slight_smile:

I have returned my WDTV Dead today to my local retailer and got a new WDTV Live in exchange, no questions asked.

I was lucky because I was their only customer that reported the malfunction so they still had a couple of WDTVs in stock.

The firmware on it is 1.01.10 and I have no intention of upgrading it for now - too afraid!

I have a constructive idea for WD: they should really consider adding an off switch for automatic updates after this disaster. Even better, they should disable the internet updates by default and add an ON switch for it.  :lol:  And I don’t mean no software switch but a hardcore hardware switch in the middle of the unit, preferably red with big yellow/black warning sign :

“You are about to activate the automatic firmware update option. Are you mentally ill or just plain stupid!” :lol:  

But seriously, we all deserve an explanation and an apology, especially those users that long past their return period and have to go with RMA and most likely refurbished units… :angry: 

And we also deserve a decent firmware update with DVD / BlueRay menus and movie sheet enabled like in b-rad/LaurentG homebrew version - we all know it can be done so no [text deleted]  WD - Just Do It!

Remember WD, now YOU owe US this!  :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The problematic firmware was removed a few hours after being released on friday. That’s the reason you didn’t have any problem :wink:

Yeah.:manvery-happy:

Went to the shop where I bought it today. (Datakjeden, Norway)

They had already heard the bad news about the bad F.i.r.mwa:re, and didn’t hesitate at all to give me a new one. I just showed them a printout of the reply mail from WD support telling me to exchange it with a new one.

I have updated it to .11, but I certainly will think twice when there is another version coming out.

Things like this should not happen in the first place, and I really hope that WD have learned a lesson here.

And most of all, I hope for the ones that are not able to get a replacement as I could will get a satisfying solution provided by Western Digital.

Are you sure it’s 1.01.10 ?

Today I received my new WDTV Live from Amazon Germany.  No questions asked. I just explained the situation, and they sent me a new device.  It has firmware version 1.01.00

I won’t upgrade even to 1.01.11 until WD gives us more information what caused the upgrade failure.

Anyone who bricked his device by upgrading with USB?  It appears all bricked devices were upgraded over the

network.

Just received instruction from WD level 2 tech support that they are telling people to press the reset button with the unit powered on (do not hold in just press and release) then remove all cables including power and wait 10 to 15 minutes. Reconnect all cables and then press the reset button again. This is supposed to reset the unit however I am at work and don’t have a TV to try it on. Can someone have a crack at this and then post if it works or not? Fingers Crossed…

Sorry dude :frowning: didn’t work.

On friday the 4th december I opened a ticket at WD…  they were supposed to get back within 24

This is what I get after 72 hours…

" Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is XXX

I apologize for the inconvenience. From the information, you provided it appears that the Firmware update has failed and did not update properly. Since the firmware update failed, we recommend taking the unit back to place of purchase for exchange or refund. If you are outside of your term for returning the unit, provided the unit is under warranty and within a serviceable region, we can create an RMA for the unit and have it replaced. Please article below.

Answer Title: How to request an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further. "

Thank God I exchanged the box on the 2nd day at the shop I bought it from…

I will never buy a WD product  from now on! period!

Wow, I could have sworn that a guy named HorribleService had just posted.  Seriously mod’s.  I dont think he said anything un justified.  People have a right to be upset.  [text deleted] 

Now to see if my post will be raped by this auto bleep “stuff”.  Or maybe my post will just disapear like HorribleService’s did.

Sparxx, I got the exact same email word for word.

I also got the same email, sounds like WD;s standard spin, I’m off to buy a different brand and will ebay the replacement when I receive it…

They’ll send you soon a link to ask your feedback about the product and the support… :wink:

I remember when I opened the ticket, they stated “You should receive a response by email from our support department within the next business day.”

Until now I didn’t get any reply at all :frowning:

Even if WD still don’t have a solution, it would be nice to keep us informed.

When they were lunching this baby, we saw a lot of WD guys posting and tweeting a lot… Why is everybody so quiet now? :frowning:

“We do not have enough information to create your Advance RMA online. Please contact us to create an Advance RMA.”

???

Does anyone have any idea Why? I filled all fields.  

reason: “unit dead due to firmware updat”

IS there really no way via TFTP or other ? :frowning:

nop.

chfauc wrote:

IS there really no way via TFTP or other ? :frowning: