WDTV HD Live + Linksys E3000 Router + Win 7 x64 = Having Problems

mystiky wrote:

But how can I think add the disk if as you can see by the 1st screen of my captures, that everything is greyed out?

Forget the router. On the WDTV LIve go to the Video / network share and cycle by using the up and down buttons. You should see your router (which has no storage attached and therefore will not work) and if you cycle up or down you should also see your computer. Connect to your computer and you should see your shared folder.

To see a disc on your router you would have to connect a USB disc to it using the rear USB connector.

<<Forget the router. On the WDTV LIve go to the Video / network share and cycle by using the up and down buttons. You should see your router (which has no storage attached and therefore will not work) and if you cycle up or down you should also see your computer. Connect to your computer and you should see your shared folder.>>

Thats is EXACTLY my point.  It does NOT show my computer and only the router.  Hitting Network Shares and then there are no options EXCEPT the ROUTER ITSELF when I have the E3000 connected.  When I have the WRT300N connected, you are correct, I dont see any router and just my computer.   Please re-read slowly what I wrote in my long reply earlier today.

mystiky wrote:

<<Forget the router. On the WDTV LIve go to the Video / network share and cycle by using the up and down buttons. You should see your router (which has no storage attached and therefore will not work) and if you cycle up or down you should also see your computer. Connect to your computer and you should see your shared folder.>>

Thats is EXACTLY my point.  It does NOT show my computer and only the router.  Hitting Network Shares and then there are no options EXCEPT the ROUTER ITSELF when I have the E3000 connected.  When I have the WRT300N connected, you are correct, I dont see any router and just my computer.   Please re-read slowly what I wrote in my long reply earlier today.

With all due respect you only mentioned that you see an icon for the E3000 router and did not mention if you have attempted to look for another ‘network share’ by using the up / down buttons. The reason I said that it would be best to start from the beginning is because based on what you originally posted people have believed that it is to do with a drive connected to your router which it is not. We now definitely know that your problem is simply that you cannot see the network shares on your computer. I realise that you mentioned this in one of your posts but it seemed like the thread had moved away from that and was concentrating entirely on the router and assumed attached storage.

I also notice that you have posted your problem to a number of other boards and so hopefully you will get an answer.

If not then I can only direct you to the answer you received when you asked ‘Anyone try the Linksys E3000 router with the WDTV HD Live + Win 7 x64 yet?’ - ‘Evidently not.  If it’s not on the compatibility list, it probably won’t work.  You can always try it, and if it doesn’t work, then take it back’. and ‘Yeah, sorry.  Then you’re really left with experimenting’. 

<<I also notice that you have posted your problem to a number of other boards and so hopefully you will get an answer. If not then I can only direct you to the answer you received when you asked ‘Anyone try the Linksys E3000 router with the WDTV HD Live + Win 7 x64 yet?’ - ‘Evidently not.  If it’s not on the compatibility list, it probably won’t work.  You can always try it, and if it doesn’t work, then take it back’. and ‘Yeah, sorry.  Then you’re really left with experimenting’. >>

First of all, I thank you and evryone else trying to help.  Secondly, if you noticed, the WRT300N is not on the list and IS working.   Thirdly, the tech support of Linksys and WDC are about the worst I have ever come accross (yes, even Tier 3 of each).   So I was (and still am) hoping that others here might have had a solution.

There is NO excuse for Linksys to release something 5 monnths after WDC released their product and then come out with firmware update just a few days ago which still makes this product (E3000) like a brick for usage that I would like to have.   It’s really sad.

Hold on…  We’re talking about way too many things, and now I have mental whiplash.

You originally stated "The result is that the WDTV HD Live is able to “see” the Linksys Router under “Network Shares”, but when I click on accessing it (so I am able to see the drive / shared directories under it) "

and 

I see an icon for the E3000 router (called Cisco07519), a_ nd when I try clicking on it _ (with the idea that it would then show me the Shared Folder)

What’s being said is that, those two quotes left us with the impression that you were using the E3000 as your server (using USB-connected storage.)   But, In the configuration you just described, the E3000 has nothing to do with it, but in your original posts, you were clearly stating that you expected the E3000’s shares to show you something.   So now, based on my understanding, when you see Cisco07519 in your Device listing, ignore it, since it’s doing NOTHING for you.  ;)

I think the statement RichUK quoted in his post was with respect to using the DLNA or Sharing features of the E3000.   Since you’re apparently NOT doing that, we can disregard that.

I have TWO Linksys E3000’s in my network (and one ActionTec MI424) and they work just fine; they do not interfere with my Win7x64 shares in any way at all.  (Other than a totally unrelated bad port on my ActionTec, which DID cause sharing issues, which I’ll describe below.)

Alright, so moving on.

I suspect that your problems are related to:

1-  How your Windows box is configured in the Workgroup settings

2-  How your LIVE is configured into the workgroup

3-  How your Windows Sharing service is set up

4-  How your shares themselves are configured.

5-  Double check the connections.

So, let’s tackle each of these and see if we can get you going.

1- People might argue with this, but I would recommend that you set your WORKGROUP of your WIN7 PC to be the same as EVERY networked device in your house.   Mine is still the default of “WORKGROUP”

2- Ditto for the Live, and ditto for its default setting of “WORKGROUP.”

2a-  You CAN go change the workgroup of the E3000 to something ELSE, which will prevent THEM from becoming the Master Browser for anything except their own workgroup, but you will STILL see them listed as servers under the WDTVs.

3- Make sure you have PASSWORD PROTECTED SHARING disabled (I suspect you already do)

4- Make sure you have the folder (and everything in it) accessible by the windows group “EVERYONE”

5- Make sure all of your connections are good.   A faulty connection CAN prevent Windows Master Browser announcements from being received by the clients.   This is not a reliable protocol, and lost packets WILL interfere with the appearance of your server showing up under the Network Share devices.  Trust me, this happened to me and I about threw these things through the window before I discovered an UNRELATED BAD CABLE.   Since you say that it works with an older router but doesn’t work with the newer, I would check all the connections related to the router and its internal switch.

Please have patience with us; we just want to get you up and running and our intent is to make you another fan. :slight_smile:

Oh, and one other thing.   Win7 includes DLNA functionality by default.  Do you see your PC when you click on “Media Servers?”  Don’t worry if it doesn’t PLAY anything, I’m just curious if the DLNA protocols are being seen from the server by the WDTV.  If it is,  #5 is even stronger.

Let us know what happens.

Wow!  What a long but informative post.   I guess I am guilty of a “freudian slip”.  So let me try to address to you each of the points you brought up:

<<1- People might argue with this, but I would recommend that you set your WORKGROUP of your WIN7 PC to be the same as EVERY networked device in your house.   Mine is still the default of “WORKGROUP”>>

It is called WORKGROUP - never tried changing it.

<<2- Ditto for the Live, and ditto for its default setting of “WORKGROUP.”

2a-  You CAN go change the workgroup of the E3000 to something ELSE, which will prevent THEM from becoming the Master Browser for anything except their own workgroup, but you will STILL see them listed as servers under the WDTVs>>.

See above.  Also, fyi, I am aware that Windows Live Assitant has issues with WDTV, and I can assure you that I do not have iot on my system. 

<< 3- Make sure you have PASSWORD PROTECTED SHARING disabled (I suspect you already do)>>

It’s disabled.

<<4- Make sure you have the folder (and everything in it) accessible by the windows group “EVERYONE”>>

Yes it is.

<<5- Make sure all of your connections are good.   A faulty connection CAN prevent Windows Master Browser announcements from being received by the clients.   This is not a reliable protocol, and lost packets WILL interfere with the appearance of your server showing up under the Network Share devices.  Trust me, this happened to me and I about threw these things through the window before I discovered an UNRELATED BAD CABLE.   Since you say that it works with an older router but doesn’t work with the newer, I would check all the connections related to the router and its internal switch.>>

I am wireless, and as I said, there are no problems using Youtube.com with the WDTV / E3000 combo.

Once again, I remind you that there are NO issues when I have the WRT300N router connected.,  When I try to attach the E3000, I have the problem of not accessing my machine.  If it was a fault of Windows 7 x64 setting or something else on my PC side, woudln’t it then not work on both routers?

I again point you to the Youtube.com video link that I used to setup my WRT300N / WDTV HD Live / Windows 7 x64:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQstgQ4eJCM

There must be something that the E3000 and the WDTV HD Live are not agreeing to.  And for the record, of course when I “swap” hthe routers, I always reboot Win 7 and clear the login cache info on the WDTV HD Live unit.

I don’t know what to tell you.  :(

All I know at this point is it’s nothing systemic with the E3000…  As I said, I have two of them, and all my shares are working as I would expect them to.

Sorry…

Oh, wait a sec…  I can’t keep my big mouth shut.

Anyway, I had the same thing happen to me for a simple reason:  I replaced my VERIZON router today.

The VZ router came out of the box with a different subnet range for the DHCP server, which causes the Windows box to assign a new “Network Connection” for that interface.   It stuck that interface in the PUBLIC network profile, which disables network discovery and sharing by default (in general, the PUBLIC profile is MUCH more restrictive.)

Any chance this happened to you?

Double check to make sure that, when you’re using the E3000, that your Win7 box is still in the “HOME NETWORK” profile, or whichever profile is active when you’re using the “working” router.

You can verify this in the Network and Sharing Center; you’ll see the icon for your computer with the profile name listed underneath.

<<  The VZ router came out of the box with a different subnet range for the DHCP server, which causes the Windows box to assign a new “Network Connection” for that interface.   It stuck that interface in the PUBLIC network profile, which disables network discovery and sharing by default (in general, the PUBLIC profile is MUCH more restrictive.)

Any chance this happened to you? >>

Although I did not have a chance to swap the routers to be 100% sure, I am 99% sure that I have already dealt with  the situation you have described.   I noticed that when I change the routers, it doesn’t use the same profile, so I made suire that both are identical.  So it was a great idea but it’s something that I am aware of.

Really do apprecaite any and all suggestions.   My first computer was in 1982 (Atari 400), so I am even more perplexed as to why this is happening.

By the way, I should also add here that previous to going with the E3000, I tried using the WRT610N a few months back and had the exact same issue as with the E3000.   I thought that it maybe a defective WDTV HD Live or the WRT610N - so I had both of them exchanged but with the same result.  Therefore I strongly doubt that there is something wrong with the E3000.

mystiky wrote:

My first computer was in 1982 (Atari 400)…

Gotcha beat by a few months:  Commodore VIC20.  ;)

Good luck, I hope this can get resolved!!!

If you’re really a Propeller-Head, you could run Wireshark Network Analyzer on your Win7 box.   For a network engineer like me, that’s the source of many AHA! moments…

Well, not to get too OT here, but you guys are *kids* (MY first computer was the Trash-80, in 1978).

Finally, I got my “fix”!

After two months of waiting for “fixes” and getting a run-around from WD and Cisco/Linksys folks about my previosly talked about problem of not seeing any network shares with the E3000 model, I found a perfect fix:

I returned my E3000 (Target has a 90 day return period) and got myself a Netgear WNDR3700 Dual-Band Router.

Within 10 minutes of installation, EVERYTHING was working.  All I had to do was to update the router firmware, setup the SSID / passwords, choose 2.4mhz band for PC/Data and 5mhz for TV Stream, reboot windows 7, unplug WDTV Live and everything works like a charm.

I streamed a BlueRay “rip” in 1080 without one hickup or flicker for 2+hours.

Bye bye Linksys, and hello Netgear!

Glad you got it working – at least one vote for the Netgear folks .

If/when I replace my own router I’ll definitely consider one.

Right i have read through this thread.

I am in a similar situation.  This issue seems to come with high end Cisco gear!

I have a WRT610N which I instaleld to upgrade my belkin network to gigabit.

My network consists of 2 PC (one w7, one vista) connecting to the router, a WHS connecting to the router, and the WDTV conecting to the router.

MEdia sharing works perfectly.

Youtube and internet on WDTv works perfectly.

Network shares do not.  The only machine listed in the network shares is the router, the other PCs do not appear.

It must be some setting or other stopping other PCs appearing to the WDTV, swap the routers around and there they are.

Please someone give me some idea of where to start, and if anyone has an e3000 or a wrt610n working please post screenshots of your router settings so i can adjust mine to ones that work.

Please!

It sounds like the 610 is acting as the MASTER BROWSER and is not allowing the other PCs to join the workgroup. 

That seems bad.

Also, go twiddle the “Network Isolation” setting in the router configuration; that can prevent some devices from seeing each other.

All the PCs appear to be part of the work groups as file sharing and file playback across the network excluding the WDTV Live seem to work and function fine.

Simply that box can’t see anything but the router under network shares, but works perfectly fine under media streaming.

It is most perplexing.

I can’t find any ‘network isolation’ settings, I wonder what else they may be termed as.

Thanks for replying either way Tony, any more suggestions would be most welcome.

It’s probably in the Advanced Wireless Configuration pages, and it’s actually called “AP Isolation.”

Also, I’m assuming your 610’s firmware is current?

AP isolation is set to disabled for both of my wireless channels, but I should re-iterate, all connection to the router, all 4 connections, 2 pcs 1 server and the wdtv are by network cabling.  The only thing which uses my wireless is an iPhone.

The router firmware is up to date yes.

Any other suggestions?

Go do this:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/How-to-run-WIRESHARK/m-p/33862/highlight/true#M3080

I’ll take a look at the output and see where the issue is.

Once you’re done, PM me and I’ll give you instructions on how to get me the data.

Tony thx I have followed your instructions and got the file

Seems to be some red lines associated with my WDTV live

I can Pm you a rpaidshare upload of it if you wish