WD TV Live Very Limited Public Beta Version 1.03.42

Apologies for condensing multiple replies into one in the following fashion, but this forum software’s quote function is possibly the worst I’ve ever used.  If the formatting is hard to follow, I apologise in advance.> * * *
ottawaguy wrote:

It much more likely that they couldn’t get it released yesterday (for any number of reasons), so they probably pulled the thread and will re release on Monday or sometime next week.

• *> Here’s the thing: if there was a problem that was found with 1.03.42 after release, pulling it makes sense.  However, if this was the case, they should have announced this fact.  Given that the post title referred to it as a “very limited” beta, we can infer from this that there was no intention of leaving it up long enough for a large chunk of the beta userbase to obtain it.> Further to this: it doesn’t explain why the thread for reporting issues with 1.03.38 was closed at the same time, but it does lead one to wonder exactly what the thought process is (if any) regarding these releases.> * * *
      Jackster wrote:

Let’s not also forget the rampant unofficial distribution of versions 1.03.39, .40, and .41.  I also am one of the fortunate fellows who managed to grab .42 before the link was taken down.  At this point, does this make .42 unofficial, if the link was taken down even though it was up for a few hours?

Sounds like the making of an X-File conspiracy to me…

Mulder?

• *> While I take your point regarding the unsanctioned spread of .39, .40, and .41, this is a different case in that whereas those versions were sent to specific people, .42 was made openly-available to the public - albeit for a very short period of time, and not one that put it out in wide distribution amongst the beta community.> While I understand that WD is probably not happy about the unofficial distribution of beta firmware that was delivered to a specific subset of users, if this is their method of combatting that problem then they’re taking a very poor approach to it.> * * *
      RoofingGuy wrote:

The warranty on my Gen1 WDTV HD was halfway up when it was deemed EOL… at least the Live and Live Plus are still getting updates, even if they’re not as quick as you’d like. :wink:

• *> I’m in complete agreement that having a piece of hardware be EOL’d before the warranty is up flat-out **bleep**.  I’ve been there before, and beleive me, I feel your pain on that one.> However, this isn’t solely an issue of ‘as fast as I’d like’ - though that is a component of the problem, it’s only a minor component and not the whole by any means.  The majority of the issue is the poor manner in which WD interacts with its userbase: one the one hand, they seem to want to give the impression of listening to their users via beta feedback, forum postings, and the Ideas Lab; on the other hand, their actions (or inactions) and communication (or lack thereof) in response to those outlets give a very contrary image to the one they seem to want to portray.> Couple this with their seemigly-glacial release schedule (assuming one exists) for stable firmware, and it leads to the impression that this device is something of a redheaded stepchild within WD as far as development is concerned.  This perceived attitude (and I’m the first to admit that it is only a perception as I’m not privy to what’s going on within WD internally) ultimately trickles down to the users, and leads to the sorts of frustrations that I and others are voicing here.> > * * *

richUK wrote:

Are you fortunate - that remains to be seen!!. Did you get it via the published page ( which was not working for hours) or did you get it via the direct link that was posted on this thread? There may be lots of firmware files floating around on the WD site but just hunting for one with the same name does not make them the ‘official’ one. 

Later: Just re-read the thread and I see that you downloaded the one that somebody assumed was the correct one. Well it got  the same name so it must be OK - right!!!  I wonder why they pulled it, hope there were not last minute problems with it.

• *> To clarify: I was not a recipient of the 1.03.42 beta; I only learned of its existence after it had been pulled.  While I normally would have shrugged this off, the short public posting coupled with the closing of the 1.03.38 beta thread was something of a last straw in terms of frustration with WD’s level of communication and approach towards both the product and its users.> Just to reiterate: 95% of my issue here involves WD’s approach to the overall situation regarding the TV Live and variants; it is by no means confined solely to this beta release.  In the nearly a year that this device has been on the market, both myself and others have voiced similar concerns and no apparent forward motion has been made by WD to improve the situation.  How this would do anything other than compound the frustration that many of us are experiencing is unclear to me, but continuing in this manner is only exacerbating the issue.> > * * *
      Jackster wrote:

Exactly richUK!  Even though I downloaded it, it doesn’t mean I will install it.  But, in my humble opinion, it also throws into question WD’s distribution practices.  If it’s that easy to find firmware on WD’s site, then WD is not exercising due diligence.  I mean, through the same link in this thread, you can still download .39, .40 and .41 by simply changing the numbers in the address bar.  Sheesh!  They don’t even have these updates coming from an https:// site!

• *> This is an excellent point, and one which I’ve been meaning to bring up.> On the one hand, I can understand leaving old firmware versions (beta or stable) up in case someone needs to do a rollback.  On the other hand, if this is indeed why they are still sitting on the server, why are they not publically-available?  If the perception is that it would be confusing for end users to be presented with multiple versions of firmware (many of which would have been superseded by later releases), stick the older ones on a separate page dedicated to legacy firmware and with a big disclaimer at the top indicating that this is exactly what they are.> That they placed limited-distribution firmware on the same server as the wide-distribution firmware is one thing, and not necessarily bad in and of itself.  That they did this in a manner that subverts the type of distribution they’re evidently seeking to achieve for it, however, is just dumb - and especially when changing one or two characters in a filename lets anyone who wants it grab it.  It’s not like controlling access to web-based resources is a real mystery here - the only explanation that I can come up with for this is sheer laziness on behalf of the server admin.> But the fun part is how - when users who aren’t meant to have access to those updates do get ahold of them with next-to-no effort - WD’s staff chastise those same users for having them.  While I have no problem saying that people who were not the intended recipients of that firmware should not be in posession of it, WD seems to want to berate them rather than take responsibility for their distribution methods and - as Jackster mentioned - exercise due diligence on their behalf from the outset.> This feeds back into poor communication, distribution practices, and community relations on WD’s behalf.  And those are areas that - historically and right up to the present day - are evidently not things that they are interested in improving.> > With all of the above said: I have made two requests on this forum for upper management at WD to read the comments that are being posted here and take action to improve the situation.  This is a third request.> However, I will put my money where my mouth is regarding this situation.  One of my long-held suspicions is that poor project management is one of the root causes of both the developmental and community relations issues that have been seen in relation to these devices.  If WD is open to discussing the possibility, I would be interested in taking an active role with them to improve this situation.  Should WD be open to this idea, I can be contacted via the email address assigned to this account to discuss it further.

kufka wrote:

what is the changelog?

• *> See this thread for the changes.  Two HDMI-related changes, one involving firmware updates.

i cannot find any 1.03.42 related information at that topic :frowning:

I believe everything since .39 has been tweaking HDMI issues.  The HDMI changes listed for .41 are applicable to .42, AFAIK.

One can think there must have been some last minute problem with this firmware because they have removed it from the server which they did not with any of the previous ones which were not “public.”

Nevertheless, they haven’t removed (as for now) the release notes PDF ( http://support.wdc.com/download/notes/WDTV_Live_Release_Notes_1_03_42_V_LPB.pdf):

Version 1.03.42_V: Limited Public Beta
Resolved Issues:
• Resolved HDMI auto resolution selection issue
• Resolved HDMI Video Output - 24Hz and 50Hz modes not working

Dear representatives of  WD.

All WD TV Live  Limited Public Beta Version firmware have the disadvantage.

When you turn off the player with the remote, signal HDMI coming. Will it be fixed?

Um… the changelog is exactly that… what has changed since the last version… not what is different from the very first version of the firmware.

If you want a cumulative list of changes, you have to start at what version you currently have, and then look through the changelogs of each subsequent version, and then you’ll know everything that’s changed since the version you’re currently using.

Where can i download this firmware , this link doesn’t work.

If you google it, you can find it.

Well those that want it here is a download link and use it at your own risk.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/62pdyx

Charlie98902 wrote:

Well those that want it here is a download link and use it at your own risk.

While I have no doubt that you meant well by reposting this from that one Russian forum, it’s really not helping the situation.

txemix wrote:

One can think there must have been some last minute problem with this firmware because they have removed it from the server which they did not with any of the previous ones which were not “public.”

Yeah, pulling the file off the download server yet leaving the old test releases available strongly suggests that WD are concerned about this particular release. Can’t believe people are still trying to post links to it. Hopefully nobody is foolish enough to try it…

Though most has been said I’d like to add my thoughts. As argued before we have two issues.

On one hand WD left those “secret” beta versions on the server which had been sent to specific users and batted other users who also responded on this version. On the other hand they removed the official beta version without further notice e.g. “sorry we found a serious bug - don’t install”.

This can only cause (respecive increase) confusion, frustration and anger. The sad truth about this communication style is: it is symptomatic.

Cheers, Georg

Georg_nas wrote:

Though most has been said I’d like to add my thoughts. As argued before we have two issues.

On one hand WD left those “secret” beta versions on the server which had been sent to specific users and batted other users who also responded on this version. On the other hand they removed the official beta version without further notice e.g. “sorry we found a serious bug - don’t install”.

This can only cause (respecive increase) confusion, frustration and anger. The sad truth about this communication style is: it is symptomatic.

Cheers, Georg

They did not remove the ‘official beta version’ because they never linked it to the publicised download page. The direct link was found and posted by a user. I agree it would better if they explained what they were doing instead of leaving users in the dark. As far as I am concerned if WD have removed the download page and the file from their servers then they don’t want people to use it - full stop.

No Rich… .42 was announced by Bill, both in the “Announcements” section and here in “Firmware”, with a download link.  Those posts have subsequently been removed.

The original post of this thread, by Jackster, about WD putting the link up when the download wasn’t available, was referring to the link in Bill’s post not working, not yet another “leak” of firmwares.

Just before the .42 posts showed up…

It was to be an “official” Beta release straight from WD, if I may call it that.  It’s been taken down since then.

RoofingGuy wrote:

No Rich… .42 was announced by Bill, both in the “Announcements” section and here in “Firmware”, with a download link.  Those posts have subsequently been removed.

The original post of this thread, by Jackster, about WD putting the link up when the download wasn’t available, was referring to the link in Bill’s post not working, not yet another “leak” of firmwares.

Just before the .42 posts showed up…

It was to be an “official” Beta release straight from WD, if I may call it that.  It’s been taken down since then.

Yes I understand that. My point was that the 1.03.42 beta firmware was never linked to the download page that Bill put up. The only way you could get that firmware was by using the direct link which was posted by a user in this thread. Obviously something was wrong as WD has now taken down the download page and removed the firmware from their site. This gives me the direct impression that WD do not want us to use this firmware.

Sorry Rich… my confusion… I thought Jackster (and others) had successfully used Bill’s link, and not the “hidden one.”

A quick re-read tells me otherwise.

Either way it’s clear that WD doesn’t want it used, by the simple fact they removed the threads, yes.

I’d just thought the “real” link had been momentarily working.

I shouldn’t post before I’ve had 3 or 4 coffees. :angry::smileyvery-happy:

richUK wrote:

Yes I understand that. My point was that the 1.03.42 beta firmware was never linked to the download page that Bill put up. The only way you could get that firmware was by using the direct link which was posted by a user in this thread. Obviously something was wrong as WD has now taken down the download page and removed the firmware from their site. This gives me the direct impression that WD do not want us to use this firmware.

Something I would like to add to this: anyone using the 1.03.42 firmware who did not obtain it directly from WD is taking a pretty sizeable risk from a security standpoint - there’s basically no way to guarantee that what you are downloading and installing has not been altered in a way that would negatively impact security.

Further to this (and which I should have mentioned in my earlier post regarding WD’s distribution practices): WD does not provide a method for confirming that the firmware you may download from them has been obtained in an unaltered state.  One of the more usual methods for doing this is to use a common tool such as md5sum or md5deep to generate a checksum of the package against which subsequent downloads can be verified in order to establish integrity.  Basically, you download the .zip file containing the firmware, run md5sum/md5deep against it, and compare the result that you obtained against the one that WD posted for the package.  If they match, great; if not, something’s up and you should not apply that firmware.

Because WD does not provide md5 values for their updates, there is no trustworthy method by which an end user can verify that this package is the same as would have been received, unaltered, from WD directly.  On a related note, this means that any third party generating those values should not be trusted - any values obtained can only be trusted if they come from the original source , which in this case would be WD.

There is nothing from a technical standpoint that is a serious barrier to modifying the firmware for the TV Live series of devices; WD even describe the environment necessary to do so in the GPL’d source code that they have released for the players, and B-Rad’s firmware modifcations are proof of this.

WD, please add the lack of verifiable md5 values for each firmware release to my increasingly-long list of gripes.  Thanks.

In summary, the 1.03.42 firmware should not be used.  Even if it’s 100% safe from a security standpoint (which is presently something that cannot be confirmed), that it was removed as rapidly as it was suggests that there are other issues with it which make its use a poor proposition at best.

Well, you saw how well WD’s “please don’t distribute this…” has worked with the other firmwares… they were posted (and re-hosted) everywhere within minutes of WD emailing the links out.

People appear to just be so desperate to have the mkvmerge issue “fixed”, that they’ll do anything… well, anything aside from avoiding piracy or re-muxing the affected files themselves, it appears.

Which does open a large security hole.  As you say, anyone with malicious intent can start posting new “firmwares,” and people will load them and distribute them without even giving it a moment’s thought.

There’s still the infamous instance of a legitimate WD update bricking boxes… I’d wait for a confirmed stable release before I just start clicking and installing the first thing I see.  But I don’t think checksums (whether they end up as valid or not) will stop those who are desperate to have the latest beta – they’re not going to run the check anyways.  They’ll just find the firmware somewhere and install it, and hope for the best.

Version 1.03.42_V: Limited Public Beta
Resolved Issues:
• Resolved HDMI auto resolution selection issue
• Resolved HDMI Video Output - 24Hz and 50Hz modes not working

What does that “HDMI auto resolution selection” mean?

• Selecting the best compatible HDMI resolution with first time use

or

• Select the native video resolution as far as it’s supported by your TV via HDMI