WD TV Live keeps losing network shares

mike27oct wrote:

If the wireless signal is excellent to very good, that should be fine; less than that, it could be problematic.  There are ways to measure signal strength, e.g. use a laptop to connect to wireless signal and stand by the WDTV to see what the signal strength is.  It laptop signal strength is weak there, then same can be said for the WDTV.

It’s definitely not signal strength.  The WD TV is 3 metres (and one wood wall) away from an ASUS RT-N66U that easily covers my whole house with signal.

OK, so you think your wireless signal is fine.  I did not say it wasn’t; I just answered your question if anyone was having problems with wireless, etc.  BTW, I have same router as you.

CasanovaFly wrote:

I’m thinking your lack of issue is twofold: 1) old firmware (many people, from what I’ve seen, have had their problems with new firmware) and 2) streaming from a Live Hub. Like any other company, they make their products to function well together. Streaming from one WD device to another should be flawless, since they can control and test for so many things in-house. There’s always variables with everyone streaming their own configurations via their own computers, and I can see that being the reason why there are issues.

I also play videos from usb hdd attached to router  in lounge and from windows 7 pc in study , so that cuts the statement by half.

Cheers

ritaben wrote:> I also play videos from usb hdd attached to router  in lounge and from windows 7 pc in study , so that cuts the statement by half.

Cheers

True. I guess trade me your WDTV box then?

CasanovaFly wrote:

ritaben wrote:> I also play videos from usb hdd attached to router  in lounge and from windows 7 pc in study , so that cuts the statement by half.

Cheers

True. I guess trade me your WDTV box then?

The bashing the SMP has been taking on this forum recently I better wrap mine in cotton wool - I think it might be one of those endangered species.

Cheers

ritaben wrote:> The bashing the SMP has been taking on this forum recently I better wrap mine in cotton wool - I think it might be one of those endangered species.> Cheers

Haha! Right now I’d just soon put mine in a sock and use it to bludgeon people.

inow, I am thinking you guys will eventually figure out your problem and sheepishly return here to tell us it was “operator error”.  Maybe.     :dizzy_face:

CasanovaFly wrote:

ritaben wrote:> The bashing the SMP has been taking on this forum recently I better wrap mine in cotton wool - I think it might be one of those endangered species.> Cheers

Haha! Right now I’d just soon put mine in a sock and use it to bludgeon people.

If it’s that bad and the only thing I haven’t done is upgrade the firmware, would it be worth while rolling back to firmware v 1.04.12 and trying it ?

I haven’t upgraded it because I believe If everything is ok don’t upgrade just for the sake of it.

Cheers

mike27oct wrote:

inow, I am thinking you guys will eventually figure out your problem and sheepishly return here to tell us it was “operator error”.  Maybe.     :dizzy_face:

If you can explain to me the “user error” in leaving the box on, untouched, for a couple hours when it then shuts itself off and, upon turning it back on, pretends my network shares no longer exist, then by all means I will fix my user errors.

When you turn it back on and check your router table, is the WDTV listed twice? I’ve seen this with the old Live where it got itself an APIPA address and only then grabbed one via DHCP. I figured the connection request was sent from the new address but sent to the old, so you would never see the reply from the network share. I’ve been using static IPs ever since.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

deadlock wrote:

As I’ve said before; know your protocols, take packet dumps of what is happening and you’ll see that the implementation is broken.

Can you be more specific?   

I posted this:   http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/WANTED-Someone-with-Share-problems-after-2-01-86-that-can-run/m-p/639301#M25712

… but no takers.

Sounds like you’ve already done the legwork.  Can you share what you found?

I’ll take a fresh packet dump next week if I make it to work and post the results on pastebin, currently not very mobile because of a leg injury. What goes wrong is the handling of the response after the broadcast message for the master browser in the workgroup. It seems like the device just ignores the response. For example, I have a 12 year old printer in a seperate workgroup which responds to this broadcast as well, this makes the older WD HD TV Live think that that device is the master browser for all workgroups and subsequently it only sees the Brother HL1470N in it’s network environment even though they’re on different workgroups. With the SMP it does not even do that, my server responds that it is the master browser and where a normal Samba client then starts sending it’s information, the SMP does not.

Currently it seems that I’ve worked around the issue by creating a physically seperate network even though I have to wait about 20 minutes before the shares show up.

You are absolutelt correct.  My Zinwell media player connects to the network easily and it stays connected.  Never had an issue with it.  This new [Deleted] I bought (a/k/a WDTV Live Media PLayer) is very very buggy.  It’s network connectivity is disgusting.  Western Digital should be ashamed of putting out a flawed piece of hardware like thjis.

Ditto

So let me think about this:  The problem only started with version 2.01.86.  Nobody worried about Master Browser this and Master Browser that.  The problem apparently raised it’s ugly head with version 2.01.86.  So it’s obvious to me that something got broken in this newer version of firmware.

One should not need to be a network engineer to figure out how to attach this to their Windows PC share.  It should just work the way a myriad of other devices work… correctly.  I have a Zinwell Media Playe that connects and stays connected to my PC server workgroup right out of the box.  I didn’t need to know about Master Browser this and that.  I didn’t need to know about SMB.  None of this network mumbo jumbo.  That’s the way retail consumer equipment is supposed to work.

Put the blame where it belongs, not the Master Browser but squarely at the doorstep of Western Digital.  I can’t believe there are so many issues with this supposedly simple piece of equipment.  But there are 28,000+ complaints on this board.  I would say quality control is missing at Western Digital.

There!  End of rant!

Arnie wrote:

So let me think about this:  The problem only started with version 2.01.86.  Nobody worried about Master Browser this and Master Browser that.  The problem apparently raised it’s ugly head with version 2.01.86.  So it’s obvious to me that something got broken in this newer version of firmware.

One should not need to be a network engineer to figure out how to attach this to their Windows PC share.  It should just work the way a myriad of other devices work… correctly.  I have a Zinwell Media Playe that connects and stays connected to my PC server workgroup right out of the box.  I didn’t need to know about Master Browser this and that.  I didn’t need to know about SMB.  None of this network mumbo jumbo.  That’s the way retail consumer equipment is supposed to work.

Put the blame where it belongs, not the Master Browser but squarely at the doorstep of Western Digital.  I can’t believe there are so many issues with this supposedly simple piece of equipment.  But there are 28,000+ complaints on this board.  I would say quality control is missing at Western Digital.

There!  End of rant!

While I’m just as P’d as you, I don’t think it’s a quality control issue. I’ve been rocking WD hard drives since day one and they’re fantastic. I’ve had a couple fail, and received replacements with no hassle. It’s been a great experience. Pumping out hard drives is pumping out hard drives, though. For them to create a media box like the WD TV and have it work flawlessly is asking a lot. Think of it like designing an app. We’ll assume for this discussion that the user base for smartphones is split 50/50 between Apple and Android. Apple has what, 3 different phones, basically, a couple tablets, that are current gen that will get attention. And all of their phones are controlled, so the environments are essentially always the same. Now Android, on the other hand, has 4-5 Android phones PER COMPANY that get play. That’s dozens and dozens of phones and environments to plan for. Variables upon variables. My setup that I have at home (Linksys router, Windows 8) is fairly generic, but the specifics of it make it more difficult. Motherboard, other devices, where my shares are, etc. can all contribute to those variables. Windows = Android. So, at the end of the day, my setup is basically non-reproducable, so what WD would have to do is make a box that would work for the 5th to the 95th percentile of the population: cover all their bases, but maybe ignore some outliers. Not necessarily ignore, but not worry too much. That’s why they have support. And everyone on this board, for the most part, has got to be savvy enough to be in the 10% that gets left out, just based on the fact we’re able to find a forum, create an account, and do more than WAHHHH FIX MY PROBLEM WHAT DO U MEEEN WHAT OPERATING SYSTEM?!?! 

So basically what I’m saying is that I probably get ignored a bit, like a lot of others, because that’s how business works. This box is probably targeted at those with laptops, or those with USB storage. And, again, that’s fine and I don’t mind. Would I like to see more work done and firmware updates more often, fixing reported bugs? Absolutely. Does the WD TV make enough money to warrant that? Well, clearly no. With what I want and what a lot of us want and need is an HTPC/server combo. Keep it all within Windows, keep it running right. But I don’t have the money for that, so this is what I went with. It’s a stopgap. Is it frustrating? Yes, because the issue DOES seem tied to the WD product, not my shares or the “master browser.” But, again, what else can you expect when you sit down to think about it? I have yet to try a firmware rollback, so we’ll see. It’s working again right now, so I’ll just play it by ear.

Arnie wrote:

The problem apparently raised it’s ugly head with version 2.01.86.  So it’s obvious to me that something got broken in this newer version of firmware.

Right. So how come people rolling back to 1.16.13 still have problems?

Arnie wrote:
But there are 28,000+ complaints on this board.

[Citation needed].

Quick question:

Lots of complains in this thread, so has any complainer actually contacted WD Support for assist with anything here?  If so, how about leaving some feedback regarding their reply?

Mike

I have finally opened up a case with WD Support and they are calling me back on Tuesday.  I think alot of people won’t go that route because it isn’t exactly easy to schedule with WDTV

It took over a week to get a scheduled time with WDTV.  

I will keep you guys up to date on whats up with the results. 

1 Like

I am very frustrated with my network issues with WDTV Live but that doesn’t keep me from still wanting to continue with the product. 

It supports almost every video and audio codec that I could think of (MKV, VOB, ISO-DVD, AVI, BD Stream Files, Mp3, FLAC and AP3). 

I have started using Plex Media Server as a Media Server to watch my video with WDTV. It works just fine with WDTV. I have some issues with Plex but it works great for video within WDTV as a Media Server. 

However, I do think that there are some issues with how WDTV behaves with Windows Networks with its Samba Share and this causes the Invalid ID/Password.  Before the WDTV supporters throw it down my throat, I do not know if WDTV is at fault or MS is at fault.  That I will find out hopefully with my formal case with WDTV 

mike27oct wrote:

Quick question:

Lots of complains in this thread, so has any complainer actually contacted WD Support for assist with anything here?  If so, how about leaving some feedback regarding their reply?

I actually received a PM from one of the admins offering to set up a service session where they’d call me to work it out. I have no problem right now, though, so there’s no point. I’m also wary of tech support calls. It’s always an hour of mandatory troubleshooting. I’m really wary, though, because I myself can rarely ever diagnose other people’s problems over the phone, either. If my mom calls me with “the computer is doing X” I have to tell her I need to sit down with it, unless it’s super generic.