WD TV Live Full HD 1080p resets after log in to Youtube account

I just bought the WD TV LIVE. The reason: it has ALSO YOUTUBE capability. Unfortunatelly, no disrespect for WD work, it’s resetting the equiopment when I want to login into my youtube account. Isn’t it a pitty to give the money on a product that does not offer what it say it’s offering??? BTW, it has the latest firmware but it went dead while upgrading the firmware. What about this???

I hope it works, I will try it when I get home from work

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3896&p_created=1261440967&p_sid=u8CddaQj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NzUsNzUmcF9wcm9kcz0yMDgsMjk5JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0yLjI5OSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Why am I no longer able to log into my YouTube account on the WD TV Live?

Important: This issue only occurs for users who:

Signed up with YouTube before May 2009

Joined their YouTube and Google Accounts

===========================================

Problem: Some users are unable to log into their YouTube accounts on the WD TV Live.

Cause: Google has recently decided to phase out seperate Youtube accounts on their servers. As a result of this, logging into Youtube through the WDTV Live may not work.

Solution: Please view the following Google Help Page for assistance resolving this issue. As this issue is due to a change with Google’s account servers

I had the same problem too. But the account I was using fits the profile of the type explained in the posting by brian123me. I’ll try a different account and see if that fixes the problem.

Nevertheless, booting the box for an invalid account profile is clearly an issue - someone in the firmware department introduced a nasty bug there.

The above “solution” does not work.   Created a whole new YouTube account today  – still crashes and reboots every time I try to log in to YouTube.    Two friends tried their login credentials, from accounts created a month ago – crash and reboot every time they attempted to get into their YouTube account on the WD TV Live.

What’s troubling is the offical stance of Western Digital on the situation, which I’ll quote straight from the knowledge base:  “As this issue is due to a change with Google’s account servers, Western Digital is unable to provide any technical assistance with logging into your account.”

That looks to me like there will not be a firmware solution, and that true YouTube capability is no longer an option on the device, at least for a substantial portion of the userbase.

My question is this: Can ANYBODY able to log into YouTube on their WD TV Live?   

I had no luck with their proposed solution as well. Has anyone been in contact with WD on this issue? I am going to try and contact someone to find out when we can expect a fix. If this is not their plan than we all need to get our MONEY back asap. Is there any other product out there, that is comparable at this price? I like this unit but expect this fixed, so I can use it for what I bought it to do.

brian123me

Let’s get this fixed - maybe we can all give them a call or send them an email question

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php?p_sid=XBxhAhQj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=3896&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NzUsNzUmcF9wcm9kcz0yMDgsMjk5JnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9Mi4yOTkmcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE!&p_srch=1

US & Canada - English    1 (800) 275-4932
Monday - Thursday  8 am - 7 pm CST
Friday - Sunday  8 am - 5 pm CST
Cost:
Free for 30 days from your first call
After 30 days the per-incident price is $14.95

even if it’s a youtube change… they should fix this in the next upgrade. it’s very boring!

Just adding a “me too” for this bug.

Same here - WD needs to fix this and other bugs soon

Sigh, another unresolved bug, add me to the “me too” list.

WDs response is bogus. Besides, it’s WD logging into YouTube so it’s their responsibility to keep up with changes, you know, like everyone else.

And utter reboot of the box from a failed login? Silly.

Worse yet, I don’t buy the “login” claim - clearly I can login and see my acount but the reboot occurs 30 seconds to 2 minutes after login so it’s something else. Probably just more of their unreliable network (disconnecting every 4 minutes) connectivity issue.

I found that my unit rebooted when I signed in to my old youtube acoount. Therefore I set up a new account using a new email address (gmx.com) and a new password. I now log in using my email address (not youtube user name). I have found that this has stopped the rebooting. Of course if you just want to watch videos you don’t need to log in.

In short I am running .11 firmware and by creating a new youtube account I can log in and see my favourites.

New account it is

Works great - now I guess I have to recreate playlists and favorites for the new account.

Of course, now everyone should create a new account… bull**bleep**

Youtube user + Google Password = Reboot

Google User + Google password = Reboot

Unlink accounts and try again … Reboot.

Create a new account … works

Solve the problem now and not blame the Google.

I called their 1-800 customer support line and waited over 30 mins. listening to the same annoying on-hold music without any idea how long the wait was. When I finally connected with a live agent, he told me to upload the latest firmware manually to this unit instead of letting it download automatically with the internet connection.  Since I already had the latest firmware, I was unable to upload the firmware again (also, there is no file update icon in the Settings menu). He assured me this is the only way to do this to get rid of YouTube rebooting problem). Well this didn’t work! 

I just created another Youtube account and I am happy to report that this fixed the problem!  Make sure you don’t have create any favourite lists or upload any videos on the computer to this account. I just created the account and went to WD TV live and signed in with my new account and this worked! 

Hope this helps others with this fustrating rebooting problem.  Thanks for the tips people!!

Same experience as Takuru.

Not sure this can be blamed on Google, and even if it is due to a weird password glitch from Google’s end, it should not cause a reboot!

Created a new account to get a better YT experience but hopefully will be able to revert to my old account once this issue gets resolved.  It’s the only thing (for me) taking the shine off an otherwise great product.

I think you can say this is a bit of both. Google did change their login arrangement but WDTV live should not reboot just because of this.

For those of you who created new accounts, were you still able to access the account without the rebooting issue the next time you tried?  I, of course, had the same problem as all of you with my previously existing account.  Without knowing that this was a widespread problem, I created a new YouTube account for my wife and it worked like a charm–once.  The next time I tried to log on with that brand new account (which should meet the criteris for success according to the info above), however, I had the same rebooting issue.  We have been out of town and so I had not yet tried to ease my wife’s frustration by figuring out the fix until now, when I stumbled across this vast community of shared frustration.  Anyway, is it generally true that a brand new YT account in which you recreate the old favorites and playlists will work more than once? Also, if it makes  a difference, I have not yet updated the Firmware given the dire disaster warnings I had seen on a  different board–despite the WD support message that they fixed those bugs and not to fear.  Thanks

I’ve just tried logging in with my new YouTube account and it works fine.

Since creating it and testing it, my WDTV Live has been put into standby many times and hard reset at least once.  It still logs back into the new YouTube account without issue.

The new YouTube account is pretty bare; I only have one small playlist, no uploaded files and no favourites.  Not sure if that makes any difference.

Regarding the firmware, I successfully updated to the latest (.11) version without mishap.  It does seem to be solid, unlike the previous (.12) unit bricker.  :)

Do you create the new account thru your pc or thru the WD TV Live?

I created my new YouTube account on my PC.