WD TV Live Firmware Update - Version 1.02.21

Anyone who try new firmware for AAC/AC3 audio sync?

I have the same problem, I’m not able to access network shares on my NAS server or any Windows Pc, this is a major problem, I think Western Digital need to know that and fix it quickly

chronaden wrote:

Like others have already posted,

After updating to this new version I’m not able to access network shares on my NAS server.

After providing credentials I’m now getting message “This network share can not be accessed.”

Western Digital… do you test your firmware on more than one PC? Because it sure seems like you don’t. Were all sick of firmware releases that are half **bleep** fixes. I was glad to see a firmware update available when I powered my device on today but there was no way I was going to install it prior to coming hear and reading the feedback. And I’m glad I did!!

Now people cant display cover art? People who could but can no longer access their network shares? What kind of people are working on this device at WD?!

Do not release another update until you have verified it working on more than one PC… and are 100% certain it is working!!!

Guyz,

my device is almost unusable after upgrade. I can’t connect to a perfectly working SMB share that I was successfully using until I upgraded.

Now it connects, displays a progress circle and just dies with “There is no media in the current folder”.

WHAT CAN I DO NOW???

I really need some help.

I just recently bought the WD HD LIVE box, and i’ve had no problems at all with it. Everything that I have played on it has worked rather smoothly… until 30min ago…

I got a notice for firmware upgrade on it, and ofcourse I was stupid enough to accept.

After the firmware update, cannot play mkv files at all. Every MKV file I have starts to stagger and slow after just 20 seconds.

I’ve turned the box off and on, didnt help.

I’ve reset the box to factory defaults, didnt help.

I’ve pull out the powercord to the box, didnt help

Why in gods name is something like this released???

Now what can I do… easter is seriously going to be ruined like this.

EDIT:

Thank you   Arish !!!

I followed your rollback guide, and it worked perfectly! now everything runs smoothly again!

I’m so _NEVER_ trusting a update from WD again!.

All my cover art disappeared as well.

It looks like the WD Programmers changed the system for WD LIVE. The cover art no longer shows up

when you name the jpg the same as the movie. To make it show up you have to rename

the cover art jpg to - Folder.jpg.

Now having said that, you still get duplicate images - one for the movie and one for the jpg. 

I don’t know how it works if you have multiple images in the folder though.

Bit of a mess still i’d say.

I have to rename 860 movie cover art jpg’s from the “movie name”  to “folder”

to get the cover art to show up. bummer

I got the same problem as a lot of other people here, the “Folder Contains no media files” message shows directly when I try to access my NAS. This came with the latest update 1.02.21, worked fine before now it just wont connect and since I always use my wd to connect to my network shares on the NAS this has made the device useless for me.

Setup:
Router: Linksys WRT54G
Media Location: Shared Folder from pc in mkv format.
WD TV Live: firmware V 1.02.21
Outputs: Component video and optical audio
All hard wired.

I have not been using this device for a long time, but so far so
good, after the firmware upgrade and reboot it did prompt me for the account info.

on the share but after that all seems ok so far.

as has been reported before jpg issue is still the same, I have folder.jpg along
with moviename.mkv and both show up.

• loading of the share wiht mkv files does seem a bit quicker (have only aboout 50+ movies)
  • youtube still working
  • pandora still working
  • flickr still working

have not played with music much, so don’t have much to report there.

I have not used subtitles so I can’t comment on the use of these.

I don’t think I have played with it much to really push it, and I have been trying to keep
things simple, I will update my post if as needed if I encounter anything.

Just installed and performed a reboot (reset button on side)

So far I am using Vista Network Shares to play mkv file. Still need to see if Video/Audio synch issues are better with BR Rips using Digital.

I just can say “me too” - network shares are no longer identified on the network. Actually my pc (Windows XP Pro) is no longer identified as a network share anymore!!!

I can find my pc as a “Media Server”, but not all files/folders are available through this option, so this is a “upgrade” has to be reworked by WD!

I have tried Factory-reset, clear-all username passwords - but nothing works.

So right now I have a WD TV Live Media player “brick”, because my media is on my pc and that can’t be accessed in the same way as prior to this firmware “upgrade”.

WD needs to fix this ASAP and immediately make the old firmware available as an upgrade-option.

For me this update seems to work perfectly. I used to have a lot of problems with network shares disconecting and unavailable, but so far it is working great. I use wired network connecton and a dedicated IP-address, since DHCP played tricks on me before.

I’d also like to say thanks for the new firmware.

With all the naysayers and critics on this forum, I’m surprised WD haven’t dropped this product.

I had problems with the original firmware my unit came with, but each release (or pre-release) has addressed each of them.

I now have a box that can stream all the video types I have from either my USB, NAS or shares.

Sure there will always be issues with firmware, but I guess if you’re not patient enough to wait 10 seconds while an MKV starts, you sure as hell won’t be patient enough to wait a couple of weeks for a new firmware release.

So thankyou again WD for my continued viewing pleasure.

Sean.

Just had a quick look and it seems that the sync problems remain.

So far this is working great for me (as was the 1.02.19 prerelease).

No network issues (media server or network share) to speak of, apart from the same odd bug that affected me in 1.02.19.

When selecting a share to connect to, if there are 2 shares but one has no media, I get a “no media found” error when when selecting the share that does have media.  After clicking OK to cancel the message, the share that has no media is highlighted.

Reselecting the share with media results in successful connection.  From then on it won’t happen again until after going to standby / resuming.

If the computer with the empty share is turned off, connection to the share with media happens no problem without any error message.

It’s weird and slightly irritating but not a showstopper.

I just ran the update (via the network) and everything seems to be working fine.  No problems connecting to network shares (shared via SAMBA) whatsoever (and never have…crossing fingers :slight_smile: ).

Have just performed the downgrade to the previous release and everything is now back to working order.

Network-shares can be seen AND connected to. So for me I’m staying with the previous release until next release is confirmed working with my setup.

So far so good. This release seems faster for accessing huge home made m2ts’s via Samba.

It’s realy nice for me!

Can’t comment on other complains as i’m not using any MP4 or any jpg for movies.

WD - keep it comming!

Guy_K wrote:

We fixed an issue in which if a folder on a network share did not have a folder.jpg in it, and was viewed, and then a folder.jpg was added, the folder did not display a thumbnail until the WD TV was rebooted.

The other issues you mentioned are bugs we’re aware of. Thanks for reporting them.

Wow, we’ve actually had a visit from the upper beings, a member of the support staff! And since he’s aware of the issues we reported, we should all shut up now and wait for the WD software gods to get around to our little complaints. And just think - before the end of the year, he might even come by for another visit and read the 36 comments that have been posted since the last time… and who knows how many more by the time he returns!

Those JPG’s sure do look good, don’t they? I know my life is 100% better for this fix. Thank you, o WD software gods, for looking after us and our itty-bitty problems. I know they don’t amount to much in the eyes of ones so great as thou, who have so many issue to take care of. A mind as small as ours just can’t grasp the enormity.

My WDTV Live told me about the firmware update last night, and I’m glad I checked the forum before going ahead and installing it. My unit has worked well right for a few months, and after the amount of pain involved in getting it to this point, I’m not going to tamper with success.

For me too .

Now is working beter than before on the network. no more disconnections.

Olso wired network and reserved IP-addresses from DHCP(router)

I love it, that into a hidden manner Thumbnails are fixed! I may delete it any time so and I may give a new picture to the folders!
(an any kind of folder may have a picture it is necessary to rename the picture only ( folder.jpg )

Thanks!

1 Like