WD TV Live Firmware Pre-release Update

jaded7713 wrote:

So far, the beta release has not fixed what I consider to be the most critical issue: reliability.

The WDTV Live still only connects to network shares when it feels like it.

I don’t think anyone recomends the WD units if y ou have a home netwrok. Its networking reliablity is not very strong.

jaded7713 wrote:

The WDTV Live still only connects to network shares when it feels like it. For some reason, it connects fine and than a few hours later it wont. Very frustrating.

I had that issue for a while.  Turns out it was my network at fault, not the WD TV Live.  You might need to restrict Local Master Browser to the computer with the shares.  I had issues where a laptop would steal LMB and then when it got turned off the WD TV couldn’t find the shares for a while until another LMB was established.

Still, if you don’t mind experimenting, there’s always TVersity, which is free, streams MKV files no problem, and also adds to ability to stream any web radio source to your Live (got all my favourite Shoutcast stations set up now!).

jaded7713 wrote:

Problems noted with the pre-release so far:

• Unaccepable delay when attempting to play mkv file (also occured with mp4 and avi).
  • At times, device won’t play any file - just sits with a blank screen.
  • Device locked up and became completely unresponsive while browsing network share (had to unplug).

-  Can’t watch the videos I want on YouTube because of restrictions with set top boxes it says (useless).

The MKV issue triggers other issues, so if you try to view an MKV and it fails / times out / you cancel it, the subsequent file you try to play will also suffer a delay.  Try turning on the Live and just playing an MP4 or AVI, should work straight away.  Again, MKVs will play fine via a media server like TVersity (or a DNLA enabled NAS).  Just remember to turn off transcoding.

The random blank screen is not something I’ve come across with the prerelease…

The network share lockup is, again, not something I’ve experienced but i don’t doubt it’s happened if you’re already having network share issues.  Fix that and the lockups would likely disappear.

The YouTube restrictions are coming from YouTube, not WD.  They simply updated the firmware to comply with YT’s ToS, which they are contractually obliged to in order to provide us with any YouTube access at all.

jaded7713 wrote:

I really need a networked media device for upstairs but at this point WD isn’t getting anymore money from me. The Popbox with its apps and proven reputation from the Popcorn hour is looking nice and cant wait for its upcoming release.

If you hate the Live’s YouTube support, you won’t want a PopBox or any Popcorn Hour unit.  Syabas won’t pay the licensing fees and they have been blocked from YouTube altogether.  But you get free advertising in your library, that makes up for it, right?  :wink:

POSTED BY: PixelPower

“I had that issue for a while.  Turns out it was my network at fault, not the WD TV Live.  You might need to restrict Local Master Browser to the computer with the shares.”

I don’t perceive this as a problem with the network. The WD TV Live is supposed to work with the existing network operating system (ie Windows), not the other way around. A person should not have to change LMB settings to get the device to work. WD needs to fix the Live device so it can lookup a new LMB if the one it has stored is not found. A non-technical consumer is not gonna have any clue how to do this nor should they be required.

I do not want a work-a-round with TVersity. I want my WD TV Live to work as it was advertised and intended. Why is that so hard?

YouTube is not a deal breaker for me… I was just pointing out something else that only works half-**bleep** on the WD TV Live. 

Yes, the PopBox looks very, very promising and is going to be getting my next $130 when it ships this month.

Whole wrote:

jaded7713 wrote:

So far, the beta release has not fixed what I consider to be the most critical issue: reliability.

The WDTV Live still only connects to network shares when it feels like it.

I don’t think anyone recomends the WD units if y ou have a home netwrok. Its networking reliablity is not very strong.

WD is recommending it because that is how they are marketing it. The networking support is the single reason for the WD TV LIve being in existance.

–  CONFIRMING A NEW BUG 

PixelPower wrote:

Anyone else have Subtitles set to be always ON?

Seems like several times since installing the prerelease I’ve had to go back into the settings and re-set it to ON (and not just after a factory reset ;)).

Ok, just to confirm that my settings have again changed themselves and disabled subtitles by default.  

I’m still unable to determine the cause and recreate the bug reliably but I am now 100% sure there is a bug with having subtitle enabled by default.

Once enabled, you can play files, restart the system etc. and they are still enabled.

At some point, they mysteriously disable themselves.  It’s really weird.

I’m also having the MKV issue… it is almost unbearable to the extreme 1 - 5 min wait time

reading more of the posts… this is not a network issue it’s strictly a WD Live MKV network stream issue… and I very much agree about the reliabiltiy of the network shares beeing bad… tried many things to get it to pickup and never found a good one that always works… it seems to be at the wim of the unit.

ISO and all other video formats seem to stream great… just MKV

POSSIBLE NEW AUDIO / STANDBY BUG

Was previewing an AVI (via network share), pressed right and opened it up fullscreen.

Watched it for a few seconds and then backed out (back to preview screen).

Turned unit off (all lights were off) BUT sound kept playing through my amp for half a minute or more!

Connected via HDMI and Optical (TV muted), sound set to Digital output.  Really weird and unexpected behaviour, not experienced that with earlier firmwares.

Hi All,

I’m a total newbie and have been playing with the WD Live for about a week.  I’ve noticed erratic patterns regarding the listing of folders, etc.  and as soon as I think I’ve figured everything out, it changes!  That said I expect it’s my inexperience and perhaps my tinkering with Vista sharing, etc… I installed the beta update and have no complaints.  I failed to note that this version wouldn’t work with PlayOn, but it does for me?

PixelPower wrote:

jaded7713 wrote:

The WDTV Live still only connects to network shares when it feels like it. For some reason, it connects fine and than a few hours later it wont. Very frustrating.

I had that issue for a while.  Turns out it was my network at fault, not the WD TV Live.  You might need to restrict Local Master Browser to the computer with the shares.  I had issues where a laptop would steal LMB and then when it got turned off the WD TV couldn’t find the shares for a while until another LMB was established.

• *> WHAT? By any standard of networking _ that is _ a WD fault. LMB default settings are what WD should be dealing with on 99% of the millions of home networks with  connected microsoft OS PCs.>

PixelPower wrote:

If you hate the Live’s YouTube support, you won’t want a PopBox or any Popcorn Hour unit.  Syabas won’t pay the licensing fees and they have been blocked from YouTube altogether.  But you get free advertising in your library, that makes up for it, right?  ;) 

I don’t have any advertsing on my Pop corn and it is very well known it doesn’t have the networkign problems WD has.

Tha advertsing on the Pop box won;t  bother anyone we are all used to it on TVs browsers befrore oeping to full screen, cabe box guides etc. they all have advertising.

If you look at the GUI for Popbox it is clearly much more suer friendly and contains more information even considering the small adversing box.

It is funny how when the many advantages of popbox come up all tis detractors can discuss is the small advertsing window.

When it comes to YouTube, if you know what you are doing it is actually easier to get Youtube HD on the Syabas popcorn than it is on the WD devices :slight_smile:

Can anyone confirm what “Windows 7 support” means?

Could we lucky enough that it supports WTV files without converting to DVR-MS? That is my only wish. :slight_smile:

I did what was recommended and limited the master browser to only the PC that contains my shares and so far, the WDTV Live has connected everytime when connecting by network shares. I also reverted back to the latest stable firmware. The pre-release was horrible and rendered my device unusable. 

Its been a week since doing the aforementioned and its been working fine **holds breath**…  still patiently waiting the Popbox !!!

PixelPower wrote:

> Been trying to find out how to restrict the LMB to the main computer but I found nothing… Can someone help? Operating System is Windows 7

dzogas wrote:> Been trying to find out how to restrict the LMB to the main computer but I found nothing… Can someone help? Operating System is Windows 7 

Check out the following post, it tells you which registry keys to add / edit.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Can-t-access-network-share-feature-consistently/m-p/13429#M1027

I actually think that WD is doing a good job. Its silly to assume that what would make perfect sense and straight forward to us (END USERS) would also apply to a company that I am sure has to adhere to both politics and technical guidelines.

There has been numerous negative comments about the beta release and its surprising to see how many people nagged about it even though its already tagged as BETA.

Also from what I followed, resetting your box to factory defaults seemed to resolve the bulk of the issues so maybe give this a try? or at least mention that you have already tried this before blindly posting something as technically useless as " it doesn’t work". Mind you that setting a device to factory defaults is not THAT much out of the norm, I have to do this to various other devices, cable/dsl routers are famous for wanting to do this. Resetting the box to defaults ensure that the device is setup as it was intended to be used and tested before you start to make changes to it.

Thanks everyone!

Being a programmer I agree.

The reason for the beta release is to see how it is working and to resolve any bugs found by the users before the final release.  Bugs are expected to be found in beta releases and it helps a great deal to report any bugs you find so that they can be fixed.  Be as detailed as you can with your set up and how you came across the bug.  This will help the techs narrow it down faster.

And yes, you should do a reset of your box so that the new firmware can have a fresh start.  Not all things are going to be the same with the firmware changes so you need to setup your box again as well.

being a programmer aswell, I disagree.

Software is expected to have bugs, but no company whose product people paid for, uses them as beta testers.

Example:

you would expect google chrome to launch betas and frequent updates, but if MS released a beta of IE, no one would use it, because It’s not free (remember, you paid for windows.) and I shouldn’t beta test something I’ve paid for.

when we had a big bug (like the mp4 sync issue), we would stay late and correct it, or, completely remove the feature until it’s fixed. 2+2=4. you either get 100% or 0% because half working shoudn’t exist.

but firmwares are a bit different, I agree.

Hmm. I beta tested IE7,8 Vista and Windwos 7. I dont know bubble you are on but I can I be in it too!!? Wow wouldnt it be great to pay for software, have it be bug-free and … AND if there is a bug to have a fix in minutes… ah… life would be good!

Seriouly though, since you are a programmer, what suggestion would you have given WD with regards to fixing known bugs? to retract/remove code? how? As end users we have control on what code we use on the units not sure how WD could roll back any changes. Also as with this beta release, if you got it its because you volunteered for it. Its not like WD is making you test their stuff before they release the final code.

Its yours,  if you want to help test… thats the tone I interpreted from the initial post. I could be wrong though.

williamdelgado, very good post! I agree!

No one is forced or encouraged to install the BETA (Test) version… but WD has given the option to help them out for free if you wish.

The case would be different if a company would share the beta version via their device menus… that could be a disaster to their business! But at the current state these beta issues are nothing serious.

PEOPLE:

If you don’t like a probably unstable firmware then why did you upgrade to the beta in the first place? :dizzy_face:

As far as I am concerned by helping them out I am also helping myself.