WD TV Live Firmware Pre-release Update (3/17/10)

Is anyone having problems with the default play mode? Mine is set to “Repeat all” but sometimes it feels like it and sometimes it doesn’t. I noticed this problem when playing videos from Media Server or Network Shares. Haven’t tried it with anything else yet.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply… I will do that and get back to you, however I do not see why I should have to do that.

Cheers.

Hi Pixelpower

I did some testings on my files yesterday night and YESSSSS , the re-encoding to the original fps fixed my lagging problems…

I also verified my other files, and only the files with different fps encoding where problematics.

However, by doing this re-encoding, I noticed some little jumps in the video playback. Its like if some frames where missings. I will try to adjust some handbrake parameters… Anyway, I am quite satisfied with the current result…

Thank’s for your help PixelPower.

dede192.

dede192 wrote:

Interesting, I agree.  Some of my files do not have any problems while others do.  I will look to those tonight . But, Just in case , do you think, I could fix my problem by only re-encode to the original frame rate ?? (using handbrake) 

It’s certainly worth trying.  Just remember to manually specify 23.976 in the video settings (default is ‘same as source’).  

• WD TV Live does not recognize the Sitecom wireless Micro USB Adapter 300N X2 WL-352.  According to the driver it is based on the Realtek RTL8192S chipset.

@PixelPower

yes I did read that, then I looked at the filename which is exactly the same. you do not have different content marked exactly the same, that is just wrong. anyway it worked out in the end, now I hope the team is busy making the last few things work on this great little player!

mb976 wrote:

• WD TV Live does not recognize the Sitecom wireless Micro USB Adapter 300N X2 WL-352.  According to the driver it is based on the Realtek RTL8192S chipset.

I am not surprised, its not on the approved list. A couple of weeks ago you posted that your USB 300N XR Gaming Adapter WL-321 worked ‘great’ with the new firmware. Are you testing adaptors?

No,I bought the WL-352 to upgrade my laptop from 802.11g  to 802.11n. 

I was curious if this adapter works with the WD TV live but it does not with the latest firmware. 
WL-321 works fine with the WD TV live.

Though the new *21 firmware has been released and I didn’t have time to verify if the problem still persists …

Situation happened when we wanted to continue watching a movie and accidently aborted the resume function:

With MPEG files (recorded from sat, demuxed&cut with ProjectX, remuxed with Muxxi) if you jump to a specific position (Pos A) in the movie with 10 minutes jumps, then hit fast backward to some earlier scene (Pos B) and press play there the movie starts playing somewhere around Pos A (and not Pos B) as one would expect. If you now hit fast backward again to Pos B and press play again the movie still starts at Pos A.

I could verify the problem with two other mpegs. One mkv I tested seemd to work as expected.

Hello,

I have had the same problem with firmware 1.02.21!

But how/where do I get the prev firmware?

There is a major problem with the logon.

Where can I get Firmware: 1.01.24?

Regards,

Ronald

ronaldsn wrote:

Hello,

I have had the same problem with firmware 1.02.21!

But how/where do I get the prev firmware?

There is a major problem with the logon.

Where can I get Firmware: 1.01.24?

Regards,

Ronald

Have you tried a hard reset?  I usually hit the button on the side to reset, let it reboot, then go into settings and also do a factory reset from there.

You’d be surprised how many times this has resolved weird issues after firmware updates.  

Yes, it’s annoying re-entering all your usernames / passwords again but certainly worth a try before downgrading.  There are numerous nice little fixes in 0.21 if you can get the logon working.  :)

If that fails, you can download 0.24 from here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_prerelease/#downgrade

Before putting it on your USB drive, you need to edit the VER file to a number past 0.21, e.g.  1.02.22

Hello everyone I have big problems with the sound, and playing of my files.

Before i Updated to 1.02.21 (i believe this is the last i could update to) - I could play all files, ISO, MKV, Xvid you name it…

But now, it’s not even close to 1 of 100 ISO files i can play, even the same files from before i updated.

Audio has allways been out of sync with SPDIF Digital output. I’m very confused, because this is not in all movies, but it like 99/100 i have no problems with audio, exept if it DTS. Normally DD it’s no problem, but it’s like when the box need to work a little harder, it gives up… so annoying, need to hear “STEREO” to have sync audio.

Have anyone found out if WD Support has this fixed in the “new” upcoming firmware?

Regards

Rasmus

Denmark

Hi Capiz,

Wrong thread, but welcome.

Try resetting to defaults and power cycling your player.

Can’t speak to audio sync problems, I’ve never really had them.  All I can say to that is check your equipment for manual delay settings.

Other than that, you can go back to previous official firmware if all else fails.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

I have tried hard reset, works, but not with my Transformers 2 (DTS) - the stereo on my tv is great, but not with my dts. Its not a problem when watching the original dvd.

There is a problem with a couple of others, but not a big problem as with the new software - all my playing problems disappear when using old firmware. I hate problems like this - a half done product, is worth to me nothing… Come on WD, do something for your customers !

Nobody else have this problem with audio?

Hi Capiz,> I haven’t had sync issues, but I have had audio dropping out completely after 60-90 minutes of play. Usually more common with DTS encoded MKVs, but I saw it happen with a Dolby Digital 5.1 MKV as well. I wrote WD support and they said they are aware of it and have had other reports of my issue (not sure about yours). They said it will be addressed in the next update. Thanks, WD?> * * *
Capiz wrote:

I have tried hard reset, works, but not with my Transformers 2 (DTS) - the stereo on my tv is great, but not with my dts. Its not a problem when watching the original dvd.

There is a problem with a couple of others, but not a big problem as with the new software - all my playing problems disappear when using old firmware. I hate problems like this - a half done product, is worth to me nothing… Come on WD, do something for your customers !

Nobody else have this problem with audio?

Hi RobDeep,

Tell me, if you please, how you are streaming your media when the audio drops out.  Is the media on network or USB?  And have you noticed any relation?

Cheers.

I would advise everybody to reconsider using this update as i myself am having issues already. After being informed on my home menu that an update was available i opted to install it. I cannot play many of my .mp4 files as a result, The menu navigation is still structured illogically, There is still no in-movie option to change aspect ratio, Nor is there any indication that such a function may become automatic in the near future. The technique offered to degrade to a previous update simply does not work and i am therefore stuck with this malfunctioning unit until someone either works out all the bugs or i replace the unit altogether and go buy the ASUS version. It’s just my opinion but there is no excuse for releasing software that simply replaces one set of issues with another set . We expect better than this from a Western Digital product.

reddog694uk wrote:

I would advise everybody to reconsider using this update as i myself am having issues already. After being informed on my home menu that an update was available i opted to install it. I cannot play many of my .mp4 files as a result, The menu navigation is still structured illogically, There is still no in-movie option to change aspect ratio, Nor is there any indication that such a function may become automatic in the near future. The technique offered to degrade to a previous update simply does not work and i am therefore stuck with this malfunctioning unit until someone either works out all the bugs or i replace the unit altogether and go buy the ASUS version. It’s just my opinion but there is no excuse for releasing software that simply replaces one set of issues with another set . We expect better than this from a Western Digital product.

If you were prompted to update via the WDTV then you did not get this version. This is a thread for the pre-release version (beta).

The thread for the released version is here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Update-Version-1-02-21/td-p/16917/page/2

The link above (post 2) also explains in detail how to revert to a previous firmware if you are unhappy with the latest offering.

I see a message about a download limit being reached, but this firmware addresses the ONLY issue I have with my WDTV-Live and that is the playing of subtitles for BluRay MKV files.

I have several of these and a family member who is deaf and the lack of subtitles on the WDTV-Live has been a real issue for us.  We are back to getting teh DVD versions and playing them on teh DVD player but that is defeating the purpose of the WDTV product.  Is there any way to get a copy of this file to get us by until you release this to the general public.

THanks

Brian

bdejong wrote:

I see a message about a download limit being reached, but this firmware addresses the ONLY issue I have with my WDTV-Live and that is the playing of subtitles for BluRay MKV files.

I have several of these and a family member who is deaf and the lack of subtitles on the WDTV-Live has been a real issue for us.  We are back to getting teh DVD versions and playing them on teh DVD player but that is defeating the purpose of the WDTV product.  Is there any way to get a copy of this file to get us by until you release this to the general public.

THanks

Brian

The pre-release firmware is now incorporated into the latest firmware - 1.02.21

I have that firmware loaded right now and I can not get subtitle to work at all with BluRay content.  DVD content works just fine.

I have tired the following.

Adding the .srt file with the name of the movie file (MyMovie.mkv and MyMovie.srt)

Addind .idx and .sub files, again with the same naming convention as above.

remuxing them back in using TSMuxer.

I can not get subtitles for BluRay content to work no matter what I do.  Is there another way to get these to work?