WD TV Live 2 (new release Oct 2011)

Just picked one up.  Power-up/Setup is a breeze.  However, the very first thing it wanted to do was …

… a firmware update.

Add Spotify

Add DailyMotion

HDMI CEC control issue

NFS menu issue

MTS2 loses sound streaming from NAS

A few RSS feed issues.

Update from v 1.01.43 to 1.03.07i

Here we go again…

Rider wrote:

Just picked one up.  Power-up/Setup is a breeze.  However, the very first thing it wanted to do was …

… a firmware update.

Add Spotify

Add DailyMotion

HDMI CEC control issue

NFS menu issue

MTS2 loses sound streaming from NAS

A few RSS feed issues.

Update from v 1.01.43 to 1.03.07i

Here we go again…

Oh, c’mon now…  ;)

These things go to the factory MONTHS before they hit the shelves.   LOTS of firmware changes will be made between Manufacturing deadline and public release…

:smileyvery-happy:  Yeah, I know…  Just had to be the first to complain.  Now that I did that, down to tweaking and testing…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

No, NEW just means it’s recently posted.  

I don’t know why the status is changing to NEW on OLD posts…

I had the mods do that.  I have my reasons. 

This thread is best developed on its corresponding (Separate) board: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player : Live Streaming Discussions.

Regards,

Trancer wrote:

This thread is best developed on its corresponding (Separate) board: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player : Live Streaming Discussions.

Regards,

Awesome Trancer - I didn’t even see this thread :slight_smile: - Lots of good information! Thanks!

hi

the new unit :

• has not got :  usb 3.0

• has :  the usb 2.0 port at frong [me I prefer aside]

• does not  :  support txt subtitles [not so impotant]

• other utilites :   shall see more comments  asap 

regards

pawson

For those asking, this unit supports USB hubs, unlike the Live Hub which doesn’t

pawson wrote:

the new unit :

• does not  :  support txt subtitles [not so impotant]

Sure it does.  SRT / A-S-S / SSA are all txt-based subtitles.

hi Tony

• you are probably right

• as soon as checked would firmly advise then

• sorry

pawson

I ordered mine yesterday and Amazon says it should get in today, looking forward to this!  Question: Does anyone know if this has a faster processor than the previous model?  I’m thinking of the constant arms race between video compression methods and CPU speed.

For WD, a co-worker of mine almost bought one at the same time I did, but held back because of the lack of Amazon streaming.  If you folks are collecting feedback and looking for good features to add, consider this one!  :slight_smile:

http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_wd_tv_live_review

(…) Inside the WD TV Live is a Sigma Designs SMP8670AD-CBE3 processor with 512MB of DDR2 memory from four Nanya NT5TU128M8GE-AC chips spread around the motherboard. This compares with 256MB found on the previous WD TV Live Hub, as well as a slightly older processor. (…)

I had to read that a couple times before I understood that the OLD version had the older processor, heh heh. 

“Why…  why would they do that?” I was asking myself when I thought the new one had the older CPU.  :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Has anyone tested FLAC and AAC multichannel support in a .MKV container yet? This is very important for me.

They both work.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I dunno.   I’ve never seen anything authored with DTS-HD 7.1, only DTS-HD MA.

And that’s not listed.

It only said DTSHD under the BD ISO section, not DTSHD 7.1, my mistake. What I was really curious was if it could bitstream HD DTS sound (even just 5.1 for example). You mentioned you had some BD ISOs, most of these probably have DTS-HD audio, do you have a receiver capable of DTS-HD audio? I would be curious to know what the receiver said the WDTV was sending over.

Every “DTS” Bluray I have is “DTS-HD MA”   The Live only passes the DTS Core for that.

All other Blu’s I have are Dolby TrueHD and the Live passes that unchanged.

Yes, my AVR decodes almost everything except WMA Pro and AAC.

Refurb_AV wrote:

They both work.

When you say “They both work”, do you mean to say both multichannel FLAC and AAC audio in a .MKV file are properly output as PCM multichannel audio along with video (and not just 2 channel audio as in previous hardware)? 

Oh, also, does it support USB DVD-Rom? 

dvdtekno 4 hours ago

http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_wd_tv_live_review

(…) Inside the WD TV Live is a Sigma Designs SMP8670AD-CBE3 processor with 512MB of DDR2 memory from four Nanya NT5TU128M8GE-AC chips spread around the motherboard. This compares with 256MB found on the previous WD TV Live Hub, as well as a slightly older processor. (…)

Forgive my ignorance - I just switched from a Seagate player - but does the WD TV Live have the same innards as the WD TV Live Hub?

I see no Volume Control buttons on the remote. 1. Didn’t they add a Volume Control Function again? 2. Is Auto Framerate added?