WD SmartWare using too many resources

There’s so much hate on this thread that it makes Kill Bill look like Finding Nemo…

I used Smartware the first 3 weeks I got my drive just to test it and I still have it install on my computer and update it each time there is an update, I keep it because it helps me control my drive, disconnect it, change my password and test it, but not for backups because I have been using Windows backup way before I even knew Smartware existed, so I see no need to stop using a software I have used for years.

Smartware has given me errors, crashes and slow-downs but I don’t care since a software is replaceable and most of the people in here don’t know that… It’s like they need Smartware to work even if the program that comes with the computer itself is better…

Any drive can do automatic backups with a software, this means that there isn’t a single drive on the market that does automatic backups on their own, the software that comes with them is the one doing the job and I have seen branded computer, same model, same specs, same OS and same store as one is able to run a software and the other is not… Computers are just like people and relativity, you can’t just expect each situation to work for everyone on each case…

I find it funny how a basic jus-in-case-you-don’t-have-your-own software can spam such a fuss and so much hate when Windows has Windows Backup and Macs have Time Machine to make their own backups without additional softwares or installations

Oh well… I’ll keep reading, this thread is amusing :) 

Funny - I just watched “Kill Bill” on TV two days ago. I agree that there is a lot of anger and even hate expressed in this thread, but some of it is justified. I find it amusing or amazing that WD has not apparently looked at these posts and taken some simple steps to minimize the problem. I just reviewed this entire thread (from May 2010) and I see where I came to it in August. I was very frustrated but eventually I found a solution that worked for me, so now I just find it interesting when other users discover this thread and report the same problems over and over.

I realize that some software may run differently on various computers, and it is often due to the wide variety of programs people have installed. If you have Smartware installed and you don’t have any problems, I am quite surprised. Any software that acts as flaky as this must have a seriously major flaw in the way it is written. And I am also concerned that it requires a late release of DotNet, which in my experience is a bloated and ill-conceived framework and totally unnecessary and inappropriate for a simple backup application.

After my bad experiences with this drive and Smartware, I am not willing to try any new releases. From what I’ve experienced, and from other posts, these updates do not fix the core problem. And my opinion of WD has been reduced to the point where I would actively discourage anyone from purchasing their products. Maybe the 100+ posts in this thread from the 30 or so dissatisfied users is not enough for WD to be concerned about. But if my product reputation were being questioned and eroded, I would be very concerned and I would take immediate steps to correct it.

But maybe, as you seem to indicate, most people for some reason do not have problems with these drives and the Smartware that seems to install itself automatically. Have you actually checked your CPU usage and other metrics in the list of processes?

1 Like

As I stated before:

Smartware has given me errors, crashes and slow-downs but I don’t care

And it still does!!! But since I only use Smartware for drive management ( I use Windows Backup for my backups) it is not an issue to me.

The slow-downs and resource hog used to be an issue until I optimized the way WDFME and related processes behave on my computer using TuneUp Utilities, which is what I like to do to control software bloat on my computer…

I found my solution to Smartware on a type of program that just like your antivirus, should ALWAYS be on your computer no matter what: A system optimizer.

First and most likely my last post SmartWare what a load of Cr@P. I have not seen one app spike CPU like this applications does. Disapointing WD!!

:manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad:

1 Like

Jamit wrote:

First and most likely my last post SmartWare what a load of Cr@P. I have not seen one app spike CPU like this applications does. Disapointing WD!!

:manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad: :manmad:

Here we go again, and again, and again…

I took your advice and I purchased Advanced System Optimizer from SysTweak, which was highly rated and a special deal with an extra 20% off so it was $24. It found quite a few registry problems and spyware. Interestingly, it flagged the Virtual CD Manager, that I had downloaded from WD and used to disable the Smartware partition, as a “Trojan swisyn ykl” malware! I could not find any information on it, however, and it might be a false positive.

WD should really look into this problem. I don’t think I’ve seen any posts that have anything good to say about it (but of course, that would be expected). It “doesn’t count” if you are using an optimizer to throttle the misbehaving software, and although it is a good idea, people should not need to use such a tool for legitimate software.

THERE HAVE BEEN NO OTHER REPORTS OF MALWARE DETECTED IN ANY OF THE WD/SMARTWARE DOWNLOADS! This is a highly suspect message, and is too consistent with a whole lot of other crys of “WOLF - MalWare” by folk trying to sell questionable applications.  BUYER BEWARE!

There is something you, guys, need to understand: any continuous backup software is going to use resources.  WD is more than aware of this fact. In our research we found many, if not most, customers are actually looking for a continuous backup solution for their data.  We are providing that. 

Granted Smartware has had some issues, resource usage being one of them, but we are working on that and have improved it tremendously.  Unfortunately, there are drives out there that have the original software on it, that are still being sold.  We recommend that all our customers update SmartWare to the latest version - just like any company would that is constantly improving their products.  But no matter what, continuous backup software will use signficant resources to run.  If that bothers you, then a continuous backup software is not for you.  Or, if your current computer in unable to handle providing the resources required to run such a software, then it’s not for you. 

Since this thread is so old, and to prevent all of you from getting any more upset with each other, I will close this thread. 

[edit]

For more information on this, please check our Knowledge Base article below.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6582