WD SmartWare using too many resources

Community Manager Bill_S:  Your assertion that this family of drives can be used without installing Smartware is simply not consistent with my experience, and with the experience of  a number of others who have posted to this forum their Smartware woes.

As I’ve described in earlier posts, after giving-up on using Smartware, I not only uninstalled Smartware, I used JV16 to remove ALL TRACES of Smartware from the registry and hard drives, then formatted the MyBook HDD while it was plugged into a completely different machine.  Plugging the drive back into the original desktop computer after a reboot, Windows couldn’t see the MyBook, and couldn’t find a suitable driver.  Several more reboots and it found the VCD in the MSfot driver library and I let that install.  To my surprise, after another reboot the Smartware apps were back in the Windows services list, set to “manual.”  The driver for the MyBook/Passport and Smartware are inseparable!

I’m sorry, but I believe your assertion is not correct.  And, more, it belies the problem that Smartware changes the filenames being actually saved to the MyBook, which requires the Smartware file management interpreter to be running to un-interpret those names whenever any process accesses the MyBook to lookup, report, get or put a file!  Whatever device the MyBook/Passport is attached to, Smartware MUST be installed for this to happen, and to give the device a driver to even be able to see the MyBook/Passport.  It’s not a Windows application or quirk changing the file names.  It’s Smartware. 

Most users of this WD backup drive family won’t see this renaming, because it is masked by the interpreter that is part of the “required” Smartware install.  They’ll only see and experience the horrendous problems that Smartware brings.  But use an app designed to go directly to the file tables for the MyBook in order to recover files directly, you will probably get your files back, but they are NOT going to be named what you expected them to be named, and you are going to pay a price in frustration, time and effort to return them to the state they were in before Smartware renamed them.

The CD drive appears to be gone after I ran the VCD mangler application as suggested in the FAQ. It was actually already on the drive, but it can also be downloaded. My drive was replaced with a new one not long ago, so it may have been updated, while older drives may need to use a downloaded program.

I verified that the list of DVD/CD drives still show the Virtual CD drives still have drivers loaded but it reports that the hardware device is not connected. I’m running the device manager as admin with the command line switch that allows display of hidden devices:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

It does show two instances of WD My Passport 070A USB drives, which is probably due to the different serial number for my new drive. But when I plugged in the drive, it just enumerated normally and showed up as an ordinary drive.

I can also open the files that had been backed up by SmartWare, but it seems that some files are missing. Each file has a companion file starting with a period and ending with an addition .DCM extension, which is probably used by SmartWare to determine the backup status to see if it needs to be reloaded. So one may need to use SmartWare to restore the proper (most recent) file. I don’t know if it’s “smart” enough to tell that the file on the main disk is newer than the latest backup copy. And I don’t trust it.

I’m satisfied that my drive is working as expected and I feel more comfortable using other backup software. I’m not sure that the managers who have replied to this thread fully comprehend the problem and their advice has not been consistent, but it seems to me that the problem is easily solved, and does not require the drastic measures posted which involve taking the case apart. The only possible advantage would be to recover the 500 MB of the CD partition, which is insignificant on a 300 GB drive.

bill_s wrote:

RJL_WD,

1)  You misread my quote:  “You don’t need it [smartware] to use your drive as an external drive.”  You can copy and paste directly into the drive without having to install SmartWare.  Or, you can use a third party backup software.

2)  SmartWare has always functioned like this.  There are files started up in your resources that run in the background to activate SmartWare to back up files every so often.

3)  It’s supposed to stop all SmartWare activity when you click on Pause. 

Bill,

Thank you.  This clarification is really helpful.  Regarding item #3, I have used your suggestion --pausing SmartWare – and it has helped a great deal.  However, when I look in the Windows task manager, WDMFE.exe and related WD files are still showing as using considerable RAM and not static, suggesting (to this novice user) that the software is active.  Is this why you said it is “supposed” to stop all activity?  Is my only remedy to un-install?

c2biz 

I use 3 SmartWare drives without any problems whatsoever, and without SmartWare.  And, none of them are the same kind of drive.  Once I uninstall SmartWare, I no longer get any requests to install it.  I’m not sure what’s causing your issues, but you can use the drive without SmartWare, because I use all of them that way.  You may have some configuration in your OS, or some lingering SmartWare file still loading in your resources that’s calling for the software.  You should call Tech Support for further help.

RJL_WD

Those files will continue to load, so they will be active when you “unpause” SmartWare.  You can disable them if you really want to stop them from loading.  However, when you’re ready to unpause SmartWare, you will most likely have issues, if you don’t enable them beforehand.  If they’re no longer affecting performance, then I’d just leave them alone.

You are correct.  I removed the software and the CPU usage dropped to 6%.  I cleaned the Passport of any WD Smartware files, also.  THANKS for the info.

You’re welcome.

I just called tech support.  They told me that WS SmartWare is designed to utilize maximum system resources when it is plugged in.  Therefore, you should only plug it in when you want to do a backup.  Seems like a simple solution that they should explain during installation.  They lead you to believe that it will just run in the background harmlessly, but that is not the case. 

Strategery wrote:

I just called tech support.  They told me that WS SmartWare is designed to utilize maximum system resources when it is plugged in.  Therefore, you should only plug it in when you want to do a backup.  Seems like a simple solution that they should explain during installation.  They lead you to believe that it will just run in the background harmlessly, but that is not the case. 

Does that mean we can literally unplug the external HD and (1) the SmartDrive software will not be active – some posts to this list suggest that the software gets installed to the PC and runs from the PC even if various actions have been taken to disable it – and (2) the SmartDrive software will function properly when the drive is plugged back in?  If this strategy is followed, are there any steps to take before unplugging the drive or plugging it back in?

The Smartware is total ■■■■. The best thing to do is get rid of it and try something like http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en this  It’s a stripped down version of Acronis True Image. I use the paid version and it works fine. Look around the forum and you will see lots of complaints about it.

Joe

Yes, I can’t believe tech support said Smartware was supposed to use all available resources, especially for a program that is supposed to run unobtrusively in the background while you do other things. Maybe there could be a “turbo” mode to do the backup as quickly as possible, and even then it would not normally use that much CPU time. Most of a backup program’s resources are disk file I/O, which is many times slower than CPU operations. :mansurprised:

I’m glad to be rid of the SmartWare and now My Passport is a good external drive. I just hope it is reliable. I would in any case not rely totally on a single drive, especially one with electromechanical construction that can be rendered useless with a simple drop on a hard surface. I think I will wrap my drive in bubble wrap or foam so it can’t be harmed so easily. And I wish it had a longer cable because sometimes I have forgotten I have the drive attached when I move my laptop. Maybe I can add a Velcro strip so it can be attached to the lid. :manhappy:

I would use extreme care with the cable. There are several reports here where the USB port on drive broke. If possible I’d leave the cable plugged into the drive when you move it.

Joe

Hi everyone,

This thread is about a very serious problem.  I totally agree WD SmartWare consistently uses way too much CPU resources (around 50 % !!!) even when there is NO external drive connected to the PC and absolutely no backup configured!!!  This is an inappropriate software design and, as most people complain on the Forum, I seriously consider abandoning WD products for good.  I’ve been a faithful customer of WD for years, but what is most frustrating is the fact that when we complain about something, WD doesn’t seem to hear. 

Unfortunately, like others, the only solution I found is to completely uninstall Smartware, but then you have problem when connecting an external drive since WIndows is looking for a drive and either issues an error message or reinstall…  Smartware!!! 

Please, WD, hear us and change the design of this software!!!  Or you might end up with less and less customers… 

Regards.

1 Like

When connected try disabling the Virtual CD in dveice manager or they have a download to hide if it doesn’t cause more problems. I used the device manager to disable. I don’t move the drive. I’d be careful a few people have problems with the USB port in drive coming loose.

I’ve got 2 other WD externals. One is a My Book Pro the other a 1T My Book  Essential that did not have this worthless Smartware or the virtual CD ■■■■. Apparently WD has no intention of doing anything but offering firmware updated that may cause their own problems.

Joe

1 Like

Hi Bill

I don’t have a pause button on my WD SmartWare.

Running version:

BR

DeffeDefect

Thanks for all the posts. I was so glad to discover this thread. My Thinkpad T43 was going so slowly at times that I thought I had a virus. Then I ran Process Monitor. I discovered that about half of all the activity was something to do with WD. All this without my Passport attached. A steep price to pay to have that funny little head showing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a good answer from WD (on this board or anywhere else) as to why there’s all that activity going on without a drive attached.  Once I stopped all the WD services, it was as if I had a new computer.  So much for the claim that WD SmartWare software runs efficiently in the background.

I’ve used WD products since my first computers in 1980s. I’m very disappointed.

I’m only going to start DumbWare when I back up my computer.

1 Like

Thanks, ParsoninVT, for the simply stated post about the Smartware resource consumption issue.  My ATTORNEY client called last week because his new laptop/docking station/monitor installed last May were having problems getting along with one another, and, “Oh!  Why is my laptop SOOOOO slow.  It has REALLY SLOWED DOWN since I first bought it.”

This is the same ATTORNEY I described in one of my earliest posts to this thread, the one who purchased a Passport as his backup device on my recommendation!  Having taken my own recommendation and purchased an Essentials for my own use, I knew that the Passport’s install of Smartware was the reason his laptop seemed slow to him, and reminded him that I had warned him of the problem before his return priviledge period had expired.

Well, yesterday was the appointed time for fixing the problems, and your e-mail was the perfect forward to quiet the “second guessing” about removing and discarding a perfectly good, brand new piece of technology.  I grabbed and sent him your e-mail minutes after reading it.  Arriving in his office on time, he was READY for me, desk cleared, and chair vacant!  That’s a FIRST!

After unplugging the Passport from his laptop docking station, then obliterating Smartware from his hard drive, he began talking about how he could use the Passport for storage of his music, and maybe some videos.

“No, NOOO!!!  Any computer you plug the Passport into, the software required to connect the drive will install on that computer, and you will have simply moved the problems we’ve just solved on your laptop to every other computer that even ONCE is connected to this ‘turkey.’  All of your client confidential files are on this drive, and you can’t erase the drive without reviving the slowness problem, somewhere.  No eBay.  No CraigsList.  Use a VERY BIG HAMMER and eye protection.  Make sure the smallest piece is no larger than one-quarter inch.”

He didn’t like the “hammer idea” very much.  To much effort.  But, he assured me that the Passport will be in his pocket when he goes hunting in Utah next week.  Ahhhh, that IS a much more appropriate end for a hellish implementation of a great product.

Western Digital:  “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.”  I’m confident that you folks will figure this out, and eventually deliver a continuous backup implementation that will work without creating the havoc that Smartware has created.

After following the directions for removing or deactivating the CDROM partition on the drive, it acts just like a normal external USB drive. I plugged it into a recently reformatted Vista laptop and the usual mass storage USB device driver was automatically installed, and there is no trace of the evil "Smart"ware.

But I certainly will not purchase any more WD products, and I will advise anyone else to avoid these products, unless WD comes up with a fix for the Smartware backup software. There is no excuse for broken software such as this and it is especially unconscionable that it automatically installs itself and provides no means to disable or uninstall. It is worse than many viruses and spyware, and it can be accurately labeled malware.

I hope your attorney friend takes a video of the obliteration of his WD drive. With any luck, it can become a YouTube favorite and maybe go viral. Maybe that’s what it will take for the head honchos at WD to take notice and at least remove the self-installing feature if they can’t actually fix the backup software. Or they could just license one of the other backup software products available that actually work properly, and include that.

I think WD uses this sort of mentality for their software:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YUvlrVlNao

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjfIS65mwn8&feature=related

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUNqDK2Ryrg&feature=related

For some ideas about how to destroy the WD drive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlA7-fh5nDQ

Enjoy!

Yup 50% to 100% CPU usage, leaving no CPU to do anything else with my PC. Absolutely ridiculous!

Wd is hiding behind “we have to make sure this is a valid concern”, oh really WD?

There will be no further WD products purchased by me, my company and any of my friends…

WD, how do you spell declining market share?

WD, how much do you spend on advertising?

The problem is that you, WD, do not care to offer a solution. Hiding behind “contact customer support” is not a solution for your users it is however, a great way for you not to have to dael with this. 

Suggestion: WD should scrap this “smartware” and start over with a new piece that is written by properly.

Meanwhile I’ll be bringing my external drive back to Wallmart who does stand behind their customers for a full refund.

I hope they send it back to WD.

The other option is to use the drive for target practice on the shooting range.

What version of SmartWare were you running?  Also, what operating system are you running this on? 

I had originally purchased the drive for my XP desktop about a year ago and I started to do a backup in March but the motherboard died, so I put the hard drive in a USB enclosure and copied my files to my Vista Business HP laptop. I had problems with the WD My Passport drive not being recognized on the USB port, and after a chat with customer support, which included downloading the latest firmware and Smartware (as of May 2010) I returned the drive for replacement (incident # 100527-000924).

I received the drive in June and I tried to use the Smartware which came with the new drive. It made several backups but they seemed to be incomplete and my computer ran very slowly. Finally I was able to remove the Smartware partition as suggested in one of these posts, and that improved the computer a great deal. But in early November the Vista laptop would no longer boot up and I had to get a new Win7 Toshiba laptop which I’m using now. I did an emergency recovery of the Vista laptop and it seems OK. And I have connected the My Passport to it as well as my Win7 computer and it works fine as an external drive. I don’t even see the Smartware partition. And I don’t know what version of Smarftware was installed and I don’t want to have anything more to do with it.