WD Smartware stopped backing up Outlook pst file

I have the same problem with my new Windows 8 computer.  The pst file is physically copied in the initial backup, but the Backup screen shows the file in gray and states the file was not backed up but will be later.  Of course later never happens.  My pst was large (1.4 G) so I eliminated a number of files and compacted it to about  500M,  which the Home screen in Smartware indicated.   The Backup screen did not indicate the change and would not back it up.  It kept insisting that the file was its big old self and that it would be backed up later.  Something is wrong with the backup software.  It does not recheck the file category sizes, at least for email.  It looks like the problem has been around for months and nothing has been done.  It’s a pain because the pst file is the one file that I need backed up on a regular basis.  I’ve installed all the latest firmware and software and the problem persists.

I’m new to your community.  I don’t see anything about an Issues Board on my WD Community web page.

I had hoped that with the latest SmartWare update the problem would have been addressed and if it had not that at least WD would have given an indication as to when the problem will be resolved.

Despite a few comforting words a long time ago from WD that the reports had been escalated to the appropriate person(s), nothing has happened since, which again is disappointing.

I do take the opportunity to repeat what I have reported initially. I am using an add on in Outlook which backs up pst files internally to a folder of your choice. Strangely enough, these back up pst files are always backed-up by Smartware neatly without any problem.

With this, I have sort of by-passed the problem of SmartWare. I am backing up my Outlook files internally (via the add on in Outlook) every second day which then is backed up by SmartWare.

This, by the way has been suggested elsewhere in this chain by WD (to copy the pst files to a folder other than the default). Yet, the fact that WD does not address this in a professional manner and does not communicate appropriately to their clients, is a failure on their part unworthy to such an organization.

I have exactly the same problem. Using WD Smartware 1.6.4 with Vista. PST files backed up first time but not after changes to file. Yes, my PST files are quite big but that’s not unusual and shouldn’t be a problem as thery backed up at start. Smartware is useless for me unless I can get TJang’s method to work automatically (will try later).    

Same problem on my new laptop with Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 as well as my older desktop with XP and Outlook 2010.

OK, I have discovered this page   http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7072/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzYwMDkwNzIzL3NpZC9XY1RwbjZpbA%3D%3D

It says that SmartWare will only back up an Outlook file 24 hours after it was last backed-up as these files change constantly. So when you first run SmartWare it backs up Outlook, then it will be shown as ‘file pending backup’ until 24 hours later when it backs up again, but the ‘file pending backup’ notice reappears almost straightaway. You need to look in your backups to see that something has happened. That’s the way it’s working for me, anyway.

Before I read this I emailed WD support and got a fast response suggesting I do the following if my Outlook PST files are not backing up. As they are, according to the rules, I haven’t worked through this but here is WD’s fix:

WD SmartWare might not be properly installed on your computer or some of the requirements needed to have the software running smoothly might be out of date. Please follow the steps below to re-install WD SmartWare properly.

1. Click on Start

2. Go to the Control Panel

3. On the right side of your screen you will see an option that says View By, change that option to Large Icons 4. Open Programs and Features 5. Look for WD SmartWare and double click on it in order to uninstall it.

4. Restart your computer

After that make sure that you have the latest version of Java (Version 7 Update 11), Adobe Flash Player (11.5) and Microsoft .NET (Framework 4), if you don’t have them please install these utilities from their websites:

Adobe Flash Player Download

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Java Download

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Microsoft .NET Framework 4

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718

Click on the link listed below in order to download the latest version of the WD SmartWare from our website:

WD SmartWare 1.6.4

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/nas.asp

Once you have successfully installed WD SmartWare on your computer, restart your computer to make sure the installation was completed properly. Then launch WD SmartWare to start your backup.

Good luck one and all!

Thank you Peaksnplains for your contributions and research. I have followed your instructions and I have been testing the system since you posted your message. (which was a week ago) I am happy to say that it seems to be working fine.

I do close Outlook before I start Smartware, as I do with all files. Even if I backup twice per day, it seems to be backing up the pst file without the 24 hours delay.

Essential in the process to my mind is the un-installing of the Smartware after which then to update Flash Player and Java. I ran a registry clean up program just for the sake of cleaning up all the bits and pieces.

For now, I recommend this solution.

My laptop is running under Windows XP SP3.

I hope that it will work for everybody.

Thanks again Peaksnplains, and all others who have been working hard to get this annoying problem out of the way.