WD My Book Live Duo (4TB): DLNA issues

Hi WDTony,

DLNA also nonfunctional with Denon Receivers, e.g… AVR-2312. Awaiting update, it’s early May…

Regards

Peter

and it is also not working with:

Yamaha AVR receiver RX V671

Philips TV 42pfl7606

Topfield PVR SRP-2100

Yamaha Blue Ray player BD S671

All of them are working perfectly as dlna clients for other server but not with the Duo - it is so extremely slow that it last more than minute to get the root directory and several up to tens of minutes to change into a subdirectory. Streaming is unpossible and ends in a “no server response” message or in a frozen client.

By the way: Using the Duo for streaming via nfs or afp is working good.

So it seems to be the dlna software of the Duo which is the problem!

I really hope to get an operational dlna-server via firmware update soon because it was one of the major reasons for me to buy it.

Best

RS

Hi WDTony,

DLNA is also non functional with my Marantz preprocessor (AV7005).  The AV7005 and the Duo can see each other; but there is no response when I select the Duo from the AV7005’s Media Server menu.  The AV7005 functions fine with the native DLNA server on my Windows 7 machine (the music library on the Duo is a copy of that on the Win7 machine).

Regards,

Tom

Hi Luiswu, I have the your same problems to.

MBLD extremely slow for scanning directory with DLNA
and very very slow to chage subdirectory.

End “no server response” often :frowning:

I have a SONY BRAVIA 40" and I don’t have any problem with SERVIIO, ecc.

I didn’t understand your solution: “Using the Duo for streaming via nfs or afp”

How can use/configure it?

Best Regards,

Riccardo.

Hi Ricardo,

sorry for this misleading remark on nfs/afp streaming. This  is not a solution for the misfunction of the dlna server software of the MBLD!

nfs and afp are just two further  file sharing protocols and I just checked the streaming with both of them to verify that my network is okay and fast enough. But you only can use these protocols  if you have a client that supports them - in my case only the Topfield PvR has this functionality and even there it is no sufficient substitution for dlna because it is very uncomfortable to use.

At least I bought the MBLD to serve my dlna clients and not for fiddling around with different protocols which are not supported by most of my devices.

So the only solution would be an update of the dlna server software of the MBLD!

Best regards 

Rainer

First it was February, then March, then April, and we are now in May.

This DLNA server issue must be worse than they had originally thought if it takes this long to fix it.

but… there will be a firmware update? :frowning:
is there anyone can be confirm this?  :(

Riccardo.

Yes there will be and yes it is late :frowning:

I originally said end of April/Early May. I didn’t indicate any dates before that, and you should always take these estimates with a grain of salt. We are finalizing testing, so it should be soon.

We hope… :confounded:

At least with a thorough testing like that we will have a flawless and smooth running update, right?

That is what we are aiming for. After the experiences we had with the My Boo Live updates last year, we are trying to be extra cautious about this one for the Duo.

I will also be happy when this DLNA issue is resolved.  Glad WD is doing a thorough job to resolve it thoroughly & properly.

-Corey in Calgary, Canada

Hi everyone. Just wanted to share with you some info. Bought  LG 60PZ750 smart TV that is conncted to my home network.  My system is - Netgear router connected to Internet. Western Digital My Book LIVE DUO, home PC, LG Smart TV and HDD media player connected to Netgear using cable connection and 2 Ipads, mobile phones, notebook, etc connected to router using WiFi.

When I try to connect  my TV to Western Digital the unit either can not be seen or when it is seen and I try to access the unit the directory and the folders are shown on a TV screen but when I try to access the folders there is nothing inside. My TV is showing them as empty folders.

I hope that some new firmware will appear soon that will resolve this problem.

I think your hopes are shared with a lot of people in here

• WD is indeed testing our patience…still…waiting…:confounded:

hi Guys,

I have:

SONY BRAVIA 55HX925 on wired CAT6 - GIGASWITCH - CAT6 to MBLD.  No cigars!

SONY PS3 - CAT5e - No cigars!

SONY 3D DVD BDP-S485 - CAT5e - No cigars!

XBOX360 - CAT5e - No cigars!

YAMAHA AVR RX-V671 - CAT5E - No cigars!

All keep losing connection of the Media Server.  Have to uncheck and recheck DLNA to make the media server on my hardware above reappear (at times will not reappear at all and have to keep re-doing this action).  When navigating in the media server; very painful.  When streaming, takes a lot of time to start and keep pausing and sometimes will not continue again…:frowning:

Waiting for patches…

Just FYI.

James

PS: Works mighty fine with WD 2GO on my IPAD2, IPHONE4S, VLC on MacBooks and PCs.

I am waiting since months for an update solving all issues depending the DLNA problem. Never had a product with so many issues. Slow, not available, permisson problems - a real disaster-hit at all.

Hi Tony, any updates on the new Firmware? Thanks.  James

Hi Pit, guess we just have to wait.  I wanted to get WD LIVE TV (plus my SONY equipments do not support MKV format) to solve this issue but already have a PS3 that can stream most format.  Hence the wait…

James

I am hoping by the end of the month… but don’t shoot me if that doesn’t happen. Firmware is in testing (actually has been for a while - just wringing out the last few items).

Hi Tony, thanks for quick respond.  Can’t wait to have this solved soon!

Just a feedback for you.  Not sure what it will be worth but its a shot.

I bought this unit from Challenger in Hougang.  The sales person was very good, very helpful.  Even printed contact details to your disit Achieva.  I was having difficulties with DLNA, contacted Achieva and without asking what the issues were, they redirected me to WD.  Then when I contacted WD, the tech simply say, please visit our website and click on support and then… … and submit your issues there.  I think this is due to ill trained staff on Achieva and WD side.  You may want to highlight this to your Channel Manager (for Achieva) and your HR Training Manager (for your WD Tech/Helpdesk Tech) about the above; if WD believes in customer retention.  Please do not take this the wrong way Tony; I am not having a go at you or WD.  I hope WD will take this constructively :).  

Thanks! James.

Pay those developers who’re working on this DLNA issue some extra wages and ROLL OUT AN UPDATE!!! Geez! How long does it take???

I’m seriously considering salvaging the 2 HDs in my duo and scrapping the rest and start working on a new HTPC. You guys are seriously testing our patience. I can’t wait months because some lazy **bleep** developer thinks it takes 3 monhts to test a simple DLNA feature. If you can’t make one in-house, then don’t re-invent the wheel, use an existing DLNA solution such as Twonky, TVMobili or something similar which has fantastic encoding support.

Could you just go up to the guy who’s testing this and scream at him and say “HURRY THE F**K UP!!!”? Thanks.