Update twonkyserver

That’s the version 5 series but unfortunately you can’t find your old seriel from the device.

so how did yours work? did you have an actual personal serial number prior to the WD nas?

I have a v5 serial from another product. and it will work for 30 days as a trial without the serieal

Moment of truth… wait for it…

Rebuilding…

… is it normal for the green light to be flashing constantly?

(at least it doesn’t appear to be bricked at this point…) 

Jumper, if this works, I’d like to give you a virtual handshake and a pat on the back…

… if it doesn’t, then I appreciate your help anyways :slight_smile:

Woop woop… (still rebuilding, buuuut;

Version 6.0.38 

It’s rebuilding so the green light will flash for some time. It is normal and may take quite a while depending on your collection of media in the NAS

Ok great.  I won’t have lost any files will I?  I can’t see why I would do by just updating Twonky… I have everything backed up to Crashplan anyway, so can restore if I have to.

I’ve got 350GB on there, lol.  Might be a while.

Thanks again dude.  

For anyone reading, I’m not the most technically able person as you might see from my ‘needy’ questioning however, so far so good.  I’ll be happy to buy a serial from Twonky if I have to.

Jumper,

what is the key needed for? web interface or does the server actually stop serving content? because mine is not asking for a key any longer and it says 0 days remaining and i am streaming media to my receivers…

I don’t know. I assume it will stop serving/streaming.

Yes your files will be all ok, no need for any restore.

So mistachesta, how is it now??

So far so good I expect… just rebuilding the database, still :slight_smile:  Might be a while… thanks for your help mate.

Jumper,

Still rebuilding the database, it’s not far off completing.  I’ve gone to the web browser Twonky page and set the media receiver for my Samsumg TV (changed from Generic Media Receiver folloeing the update) and am now able to do what I couldn’t do with Twonky 5… stream mkv files and other formats without having to convert them everytime.

THIS is what the WD MBL was designed to do, why on earth don’t WD cotton on and save the pain for their customers?  We’ll never know.

I wanted to publicly thank you for your efforts as I’d be pulling my hair out if it weren’t for the guide you posted here.  Very simple and straight  forward (once I managed to ssh properly…)

I am over the moon.  Thanks again pal.  

Oh, and I got the server registered also on V6 so, all good.

Glad I could help! I was on the same boat and it took me days to search and make everything work and so I thought I save everyone the hassle of it.

One weird thing though - seems the navigation view has changed… I now have a folder called nfs, which wasn’t there before, and I now have a few extra clicks to get to the movie folder… no real issue but a bit irritating.  I’ll see what I can do with the navigation trees when the database has been rebuilt completely.

Any recommendations/ preferences you’d like to share Jumper?

Scrub that… just gone to shares and changes the settings to strip out some of the stuff… separated the music from the video and photos etc.  Should be good.

Oh that’s why it took so long to rebuild the database. Go to (replace your IP):

http://192.168.1.2:9000/config

Select “sharing” on the left and then change the content location to “/nfs/Public” from “/”. Click save changes. Restart TWONKY server.

Is it ok to restart part way through the build?  It’s still going…  I’ve made some changes but need to restart before they come into effect… was going to wait for it to complete.

You think it’s ok to restart now?

I’ve actually selected the following;

shares/Public/Shared Pictures - Pictures only

shares/Public/Shared Video - Video only

shares/Public/Shared Music - Music only

That way all the album art will not show in All Pictures, I guess.

Yes you can restart without any issues. Now rebuilding will take less time as you have categorized your source location.

Cheers man… I’ll give it a whirl… gonna be tired in the morning! :slight_smile: