Torrent Client on WD My Book Live?

Do you know if WD will be introducing a torrent client into a future update on the MBL or any other http/ftp download client?

1 Like

• WebServer and AccessBook   ( 3 Articles )

Access ALL your files remotely via a simple web interface on your Mybook Live device. Share your files with your friends...

Remotely delete, copy, paste, upload  your files. You can even add thumbnails and descriptions to your files....

Launch some specific actions remotely like unrar or zip folders...

Use the Home Access, to easily access your data from a tablet device at home or to configure easy access to ressources for kids...

• OpenVpn   ( 1 Article )

OpenVpn Feature Pack allows you to access remotely and securely your Mybook Live, as if you were at home :

Connect windows drives, access all the web interface you have at home, and even connect to other computers at home ...

Installing this Feature pack is very Easy : all the configuration is prepared automatically ...
    You can also use your home internet connection from remote location using the tinyproxy feature ...

• ABSkins   ( 4 Articles )

Personnalize your Mybook Live Access Book interface with new skins...
    Some Additional Skins to AccessBook ( The Remote Access Web Interface that is provided by the Web Server + AccessBook Featurepack).
    You can see previews of the main pages, Photo Gallery, File Manager  look and feel

• Transmission   ( 1 Article )

Download torrents directly from your Mybook Live,  even when your windows computer is Off.

Transmission is an open source torrent downloader, with a nice GUI web user interface.

This Feature pack will automatically configure Transmission on your Mybook Live Device...

• Cinedb   ( 1 Article )
  • NZBGET

http://highlevelbits.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=17&Itemid=82&lang=en

1 Like

…or with a bit of knowledge of Linux, you can always compile transmission yourself directly on your MyBook Live.

Did it with latest transmission version (2.21) - works great.

1 Like

I really need to make it known that WD does not support, nor provide support for, modifying our NAS drives. Doing so may damage the drives and possibly void the warranties.

1 Like

Thank you Bill, that’s a point which should be emphasised.

I am now one of the sad few who probably has a void warranty. I don’t mind too much, as previous WD products have been very reliable. As such, I have installed rtorrent and mediatomb. The latter has fixed all the problems I’ve run into with twonky, while the former has been running without any fuss for about a month now.

256mb of ram and an 800mhz ppc is generous as far as hardware goes, but it still seems wasteful to run programs which use far more processing power than is required. rtorrent installs exactly the same way on the my book live as it does on any other debian system, and as it has very few dependancies things are unlikely to break. Transmission will get the job done, but is a bit wasteful.

1 Like

The link you posted relate to mybook world. The feature pack for my book live asks me for a url for the features. WOuld you be kind enough to add URL’s, or am i missingsomething? I am a bit new to this whole NAS thing.

Hi Guys,

I’m trying this and i’m not getting a installation complete and the feauture pack manager doesn’t get installed.

I’m getting this in the last line: Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key AED4B06F473041FA
gpg: requesting key 473041FA from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
gpg: key 473041FA: “Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (6.0/squeeze) ftpmaster@debian.org” not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:              unchanged: 1

I’ve downloaded the _install.sh and am seeing where it’s going wrong:

/usr/bin/apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key AED4B06F473041FA

I’ve done the steps afterwards manually, but it’s still not working.

Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Btw: I’ve seen this russian post which might have the solution, but my russian is weak and google isn’t helping much :slight_smile: http://linuxforum.ru/viewtopic.php?id=11893 (and i’ve also done apt-get update)

@shazada : I did read that russian forum thread. there is no real solution in there. For example last comment suggests to reinstall debian from dvd.

LOL.   

LOL,

Could it be, that the latest firmware update did something?

But what the heck does that line do? I’ve done all manually. Like copying the php.ini and modifiying it like it does through the script. I’ve downloaden WinSCP to copy files etc. But I still can’t access the feature pack manager.

I really dont have a clue about future packs. never used them.

I done my install in “old fashion” Debian way with apt-get and ./configure ./make for some dependencies I could not get with apt-get.

Btw, I just noticed that running ‘apt-get update’ now shows something like this in the end:

W: GPG error: http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY *key here*
W: GPG error: http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY *key here*
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

@Jazzymood

Can you tell me exactly how you’ve done it…i’m more of a Windows dude…so ofcourse I can do some commands and if not find them.

Impossible to tell EXACTLY, becouse our systems might be slight different.

Yours probably running latest firmware, mine is not. I dont want to risk to loose my heavy customised updates.

But basicly steps is following:

1. I created seperated shell user from which i will run transmission.

2. Got latest source file with tranmission http://download.m0k.org/transmission/files/transmission-2.22.tar.bz2

3. unpacked.

4. did run ./configure -enable-daemon

5. at some point ./configure stops with errors and tell that somethin on your system is missing.

6. Installed a lot of missing packages thru apt-get install PACKAGENAME.

7. For those packs which i did not managed to get from apt-get (libevent 2.0.10), compiled from source, included PATH to them , did run ./configure again till the point it did get thru successfully.

8. did run make

9. started screen

10. after that started transmission.

Really not a task for Linux beginners…

Thanks!!!

I’ll give it a go!

Is it possible that the torrentclient automaticly download the torrents beween 12 - 20 (example) ?

@markoalmelo: Yes, it is possible with multi p2p protocol client called ’ mldonkey’ which also supports torrents.

More info - http://mldonkey.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

Hello  jazzymood I am interested in your solution, they could more detail?
I installed version 2.03 but not the current tracker
I want more support at least the 2.20 but I can not update it
can you help me?

@ciavarrag: yes, probably I can. what time zone do you live in? PM me.

for me 23:56 now I go to sleep :slight_smile:

can you send me the walkthrough via PM or post it here when you’re ready to help the whole community ;)

As I said few posts earlier, I can’t make ‘whole walkthrought’ in details, becouse I did some heavy package adding on my NAS even before adding transmission (becouse of it some steps can be little different).

To make it 100% step by step I need new/unchanged by user  MyBookLive to play with.

@JazzyMood,

I’ve tried a lot, but I’m still missing quite some packages…

Maybe we can setup a TeamViewer session…