Streaming itunes DRM movies to safari on iPad not working - IOS 8 issue?

RoderickGI wrote:

Let’s hope some mainstream media (news outlets I mean) get a hold of this and run a damning story on Apple.

Heheheh…  Mainstream media doesn’t even know how to spell DRM.   :laughing:

I googled “apple drm” just now and this current issue apparently has not been picked up by the news media yet.  But, this news story about a 10 year ongoing suit regarding Apple’s slimy practices reports the case is going to trial today!

http://www.toptechnews.com/article/index.php?story_id=023000PWGQE7

Just adding to the dialogue: I was using Younity ( www.getyounity.com)) to stream Apple DRM movies from the iTunes library on my iMac to my iPad. It worked fine with iOS 7, but no longer works with iOS 8. I contacted Younity support. They said that Apple blocked DRM streaming with iOS 8. It still works for streaming non-DRM content.

FYI that Younity is a software streaming solution - there is no NAS or other cloud hardware device. So the DRM can’t be a device issue.

This is ABSOLUTELY an APPLE issue.  I have an iPad 3 loaded with iOS 7 and a newly purchased iPad mini 2 with iOS 8.  Guess which one streams my DRM movies in Safari and which ones does NOT!!   Hint, its the one I bought with my new WD passport drive to play movies on a screen that is a good size for my kids.

Apple, this is why I always avoided buying your products until I needed you for my tech tarded wife and kids.

They did this bc they want you to buy their iPads with the max storage rather than cheaper more flexible storage options. 

Amen. Brother!  I sort of hate Apple and their elist attitude since the get-go.  But, I broke down and first bought an iPod in 2004, then later an iPad, and later still, an iPhone.  Why: they beat Microsoft to the punch each time with a cool product! 

We Windows users have no one to blame but Microsoft for our having to buy from Apple!  Not sure the problem has been solved with Balmer’s replacement.

Anyway, anyone heard of any progress on this slimy move of Apple and their &^#$% DRM?  I haven’t. 

There is a way to avoid it all: 1) Don’t buy ANYTHING  from iTunes store; especially videos, and 2) learn how to convert your own DVDs into files you can put onto any of your drives so you can stream the stuff.

PS, Never put iOS 8 on your Gen 4 iPad unless and until you HAVE to,.as long as you have Apple DRM videos.

I am sorry Bill_S, I do understand that this issue is an Apple iOS8.x issue they have with DRM protected movies. No other wireless external storage device is able to stream those movies any longer.

Are you saying, that this is issue, with iOS8.x is not an issue but fixes a bug that existed with prior iOS versions? ith that statement you would admit that your company exploited a bug in iOS7.x and prior in order to stream movies? I don’t think that you wanted to say it this way unless of course you have a really deep sense of sarcasm and dark humor in you. If that is the case, I apologize and nod my head towards you and shake my fist towards Apple that basically destroyed a big part of the functionallity of every single wireless external storage device on the market.

Apple never called it a bug, or stated there was a problem, or stated their intention to fix it. Not even when they deployed iOS 8.x. They just deployed iOS 8.x and then when everyone complained, said “Oh yeah, that was a bug that we have now fixed.” They knew people wouldn’t have upgraded to iOS 8.x if they knew they would lose this functionality. They also knew downgrading is next to impossible so people would be stuck on iOS 8.x.

So nobody explointed a known bug or weakness of iOS. Everybody outside Apple thought it was intended functionality.

Also note that Apple want users to keep upgrading their iPhone to later versions at ridiculous cost to get more available memory. Apple do not want you to effectively expand your usable memory by adding a wireless hard drive, allowing you to continue using your iPhone for 4 or 5 years. Products like the MPW hurt their plan. They probably didn’t even consider this a bug until wireless hard drive products were created.

So go shake your fist at Apple all you like. They won’t care.

PS: I suspect but don’t know that Apple knew it was possible but didn’t intend to allow wireless streaming of DRM content to iOS devices, knowing  that the stream was unenrypted and was therefore technically in violation of their agreements with content providers. Then the content providers cottoned on to this, or users did and started exploiting it making content providers put more pressure on Apple to “fix” the problem.

So go shake your fist at the content providers as well.

Good comments, Rod.  I, basically hate Apple  – I have since the fIrst Apple computer.  The entire company is a bunch of elitists, starting with Steve Jobs.  Nevertheless, when I bought a tablet and when I bought a smart phone I bought an Apple.  Why, plain and simple– darn good products and lots of choice in apps.  I have an Android Kindle, too.  The Android version.apps are not of the quality of Apple Apps in many cases, although there are some Android apps I have that are not in an Apple version!  Why?  Apple won’t allow them – they let you get too close to the innards of the Apple device…

The whole Apple DRM thing is BS.  Make your own iPad/Android movies from your DVDs.  So far, they still work, and they work from hard drives!

rujoKing wrote:

I am sorry Bill_S, I do understand that this issue is an Apple iOS8.x issue they have with DRM protected movies. No other wireless external storage device is able to stream those movies any longer.

Are you saying, that this is issue, with iOS8.x is not an issue but fixes a bug that existed with prior iOS versions? ith that statement you would admit that your company exploited a bug in iOS7.x and prior in order to stream movies? I don’t think that you wanted to say it this way unless of course you have a really deep sense of sarcasm and dark humor in you. If that is the case, I apologize and nod my head towards you and shake my fist towards Apple that basically destroyed a big part of the functionallity of every single wireless external storage device on the market.

You need to go back and read what I said.  I never said any of the things you’re implying I said.  What I said: " It appears that Apple finally fixed an issue they had with their movie DRMs.  The files should have never played in the first place." was only meant to confirm what everyone else was finding out.  There was no dark humor or sarcasm intended in anything I said.