Special Release - Firmware Version 3.03.16 for WD TV Live Hub (4/4/12)

Here you go.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live

@ Bill

if you have an unfinished setup of your firmware you should reset to factory settings and see if you can update from there again otherwise you should roll back to a previous version and run the setup again so it can be recognized. Your internet connection should not cause any interference and is probably what was missing to finalize your update.

You said it  “then rebooted, rebooted, rebooted” was this one reboot process or was it a reboot loop where it came up and down? I any way never interrupt the updating process even when it feels like ages don’t cut the “food supply” (internet) it is the worst thing you can do really. I remember one of my update took almost 30 minutes once I was more than once tempted to plug the chord but it came through eventually.

@ Bill_St

Quote: Tried downloading 3.03.16 and putting it on a USB stick to try to re-apply the firmware but there does not seem to be an option to force the firmware install (presumably it sees the version on the USB as the same version as installed so dows not want to install)

You can easliy edit the wdtvlivehub.ver file with notepad and change the number to a higher one to “force” the Hub to Detect it as “New Firmware” … eg

VERSION=‘3.03.16’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivehub.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivehub.pkg’
ROOTFS2=‘wdtvlivehub.bi2’

to …

VERSION=‘3.04.16’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlivehub.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlivehub.pkg’
ROOTFS2=‘wdtvlivehub.bi2’

(ooops; delayed post…)

Thanks very much for that

I did try resetting to factory defaults but that did not seem to help (would not stop the re-booting or allow me to re-apply the firmware upgrade). 

Whne I say rebooted, rebooted… it was a reboot loop.  the device would start (saying loadin) then suddenly the screen would blank and after a few seconds it would again say loading. 

This what I got after the attempt to upgrade to 3.03.16.

When I did the upgared to 3.03.16 it went downloading firmware - got to 100% then I got the orange circular arrow saying rebooting.  I came back up and went through “installing 1/2” got to 100% then immediately went to “installing 2/2” again got to 100% then got the orange circle arror saying rebooting then it went into the reboot cycle - left it for 4 or 5 of these cycles with no sign of coming out of it. 

Regards

Bill

thanx for sharing, I believe Joey’s suggestion with renaming the firmware should have fixed it now, right?

Well I downloaded firware version 3.01.19 and loaded it to a USB key (after discovering the USB needs to FAT32 not FAT).

Rolled back to that version and it seemed to apply OK. 

Checked version after upgrade (3.01.19) - plugged in network cable and bang it crashed and started rebooting!!

Will upgrade back to 3.03.16 tonight and also connect to an isolated switch so that I can set a fixed IP (is it correct that without a network connected the IP addresses show as 0.0.0.0 ?) and also set the wrong default gateway so that I should be able to connect it to my network but it will not be able to access the internet. 

Bill

i have DHCP activated everytime i reboot my router I have a different IP, never really mattered

I have DHCP enabled on my LAN as well - trouble is it issues the default gateway taht will allow the device getting the IP address to route out to the internet. 

I want my WD to be accessible on the LAN but NOT get to the internet (cause that is when it crashes) so I need to manually set the IP config and use a default gateway which cannot access the inyternet. 

Due to the new release today, this thread is closed.