Software Update - WD SmartWare Windows Version 1.5.1.6 (8/16/11)

OOT but just want to remind everyone that having issue with memory leak, especially people that didn’t use SmartWare backup tools, you can just go download " SES driver" on download page and use your mybook like usual USB storage without Smartware

As in case you need backup tools, you can look/find 3rd party software

there lots 3rd party backup software, if you need some suggestion, i personally suggest GoodSync 

PS: i am not related to GoodSync

[Deleted] I can’t update - I can’t remove the program from my computer, and only home and settings are highlightet!

I will be happy, if the seller will take it back. Only 3 days old…

Did you get a response to the 1603 error. I keep getting the same error and need all the help I can get!!

My backups are not succeeding now with this new version. 

I experienced a “data” drive failure on a machine with  2 drives (c:\system, d:\data) . 

I restored the data drive using backup from “My Book” with no issue. 

Now I just want backups to resume again as before and that does NOT seem to be happening. 

This new software says the C: drive data is backed  up, no problem. 

For the D: drive now, I cannot get a sense of true status of the backup.

Data For Backup vs. Data Backed Up vs, Data Not Backed Up

74,009  vs. 0 vs. 74,0008

With “Partial Backup Complete”  and Yellow !  triangles on source and target  drives

I have nearly 3 times the needed space to store the data I need to back up so there is no out-of-space conditon… 

What is wrong that the backup cannot go back to operating like it did before?

This issue has been escalated.

Awful.  I like the drive, but WD Smartware does not work, even with an update.

It would be a good idea to let people know they should uninstall the old software before installing the upgrade!

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. 

Uninstalling this “upgrade” then reinstalling got my automatic back-ups back on track.

I think the WD should add that step to “upgrade” instructions.  

** Uninstalling this “upgrade” then reinstalling got my automatic back-ups back on track.

I think the WD should add that step to “upgrade” instructions. 

I am using lenovo T410, the moment I update smwartware to this version, my laptop freezes. I have already received two RMA replacement drives, but the problem persists. Getting really frustrated with this software as much as I want to use it :frowning:

After spending 2 hours with level 2, installing all windows updates, restarting my laptop about 15 times, i am back to square one :frowning: :frowning: somebody just give my money back now

Ok, what a relief.

I finally returned the WD drive, got a new Seagate GoFlex. The auto backup software did not hog memory or freeze my laptop.

Installation was a breeze and it worked like it should.

Lesson learnt - should not have wasted two weeks trying to get the WD drives fixed and replaced.

RIP, WD Smartware.

Hi tcreek,

I am having the same problem with 1.5.1.6. In the backup screen I show 6.9GB Music to back up and backed up with “backup accomplished successfully”. After a short time the same screen shows 671MB Music to back up and backed up. Where has all my music disappeared to. Luckily I use Windows backup to back up my files on another part of the WD drive.

Did you find an answer to your problem? If so please let me know what it was.

My other gripe is that a “complete backup” should include the system files in case I have a system disc failure and WDSW does not back up Windows OSs.

Ok, so I am not alone. I think the problem with the high usage is the ‘categorizing files’ is always running. I wished I’d found this site sooner but i am going to try all the options listed and post back. Because now another program is using high memory and its slowing me down.

I have installed the latest Version (1.5.1.16) last night after noticing the older Version (1.4x) WDDMService used approx. 40-50 percent CPU on an idle system w/o hard drives attached (Windows V7 / 64 w/ all the latest SW updates as it is maintained by my IT Department. System is a DELL E4300 w/ 8GB and 2.5 GHz CPUs). After installing the latest upgrade the system is *unsable* - pegged at a 100% CPU. I left the system running over night to ensure that this is not a temporary effect (e.g. new DB or indexes created). No joy, still pegged CPU this morning. Restarted several times, no luck. I’ve stopped all processes, set them to manual start - system becomes usable again. Manuall starting WDDMService.exe (and it’s dependencies) kills my CPU again.

Any recommendation or an ETA for a fix?

I just had to express myself after beating my head against the wall and then reading all of these posts in this thread as well as previous threads so I hope this helps some of you avoid this **bleep** software.

First, when it works correctly it is a great application although I never really used it to recover any files.

Second, if SmartWare gives you a problem like using all of your system memory, and I mean all, then just uninstall it.  Then format the drive so that it can be used as a simple external USB hard drive.  You can use the format executable that comes on the WesternDigital drive.  Then use the Windows Backup and Restore utility in the Control Panel to begin backing up your work.

SIMPLE solution, huh?

I have tried to update this software 3 times and still it will not update the software on my computer? It still says that the old software is running. Can some one tell me why this software will not work? Do I have to turn off my Norton anti virus software??

Just cross-referencing a thread I had started (@ddbug thanks for the link to this one):

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/WD-Passport-SmartWare-Slows-Computer-to-a-Crawl/td-p/247362

I’ve long uninstalled the WD SmartWare and don’t even use the drive. If anything, the SmartWare needs to run as a task with ultra-low priority.

I am running on WIndows 7 Pro with 6 GB of memory and this latest version. What had worked before in previous versions is now hogging my system, using 98 or 99%! It slows down my system no end and it doesn’t seem to matter when I run it in the background. This is an awful piece of software and I’m amazed that the company put it out there with all these problems. Two weeks ago on this forum they said the problem was “elvated.”  TWo weeks ago! When can we expect a fix? Without a fix forthcoming I can not recommend to anyone that they purchase a WD drive.

No news about it ? Lots of memory in use by wdfme.exe. I using last version and problem was not solved.

Please help us.