So you *really* want rid of SmartWare? Come this way

I also purchased MyPassport 1TB 2.5" HDD three days ago and am not very happy about the “SmartWare” software embedded into the firmware. The user should be able to choose what backup utility to be used with their HW and should be able to remove/delete whatever the software on their HW. The problem with this portable HW is that the users had no option to remove/delete the software they can not use or don’t want to use. WD has the obligation to provide the solution for those who would like to remove/delete the software.

1. "SmartWare should not embedded into the firmware since the HW does not need it to function;

2. It is OK to provide the backup software with the purchase of this hard disk. However, the choice should be given to the customers if they choose to use other vendor’s product for different purpose.

This practice reminds me when Microsoft embedded their Internet Explorer into Windows products.

WD should release a patch or fix to solve this problem as soon as possible.

I also purchased My Passport Essential SE Ultra-portable Hard Drive 1TB  but six mths ago (look was nice size impressive so I thought it will wait when I’m ready). Now I wont to use it on a different PCs as I move around. Just before installing it I went through the posts in horror and got shocked. WHAT? One can NOT remove this pesky ware? What a nonsense Western Digital, what a nonsense! Such a butiful drive with such a ■■■■ software!

Q1-My question is: i’ve plugged the drive in, got those three dialog widows… & did NOT preceded any further.   Does this mean that I’ve installed this ■■■■ partially already on one of PCs I’ve connected this drive to? It looks as not but if part of it is self extracting software… hmmm, brrr:(                   I demand an A-U-T-H-OR-I-S-E-D answer from Western Digital!

Q2-Further more I’m going to return this drive for full refund. Concern I have is that purchase is 6 mth old, the box is opened and I’ve connected the drive to XP & Vista.

Regards to Crumpy who alerted us and others who keep the fight on. Hardware is good but software is ■■■■. So if I can’t seperate good from ■■■■ I want my money BACK

1 Like

amoll wrote:

Q1-My question is: i’ve plugged the drive in, got those three dialog widows… & did NOT preceded any further.   Does this mean that I’ve installed this ■■■■ partially already on one of PCs I’ve connected this drive to? It looks as not but if part of it is self extracting software… hmmm, brrr:(                   I demand an A-U-T-H-OR-I-S-E-D answer from Western Digital!

If you want an authorized answer from WD, then you should contact them.  You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

I was directed here from another thread about the SmartWare using an unacceptable amount of resources, and then I went into the FAQ for the drive and found where you can disable the VCD. The VCD manager was already on my drive in the SmartWare CD partition, so I ran it, and within a minute or so I was able to cycle USB power to the drive and it came up, installed drivers, and the partition no longer appears, so the SmartWare never attempts to load. This just means I lose about 500 MB of my 300 GB drive. Here are the instructions:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduse​r/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3835&p_created=1256946237&p…

Works for me! :wink:

i purchased a new WD 2TB Essential drive and received in the mail today. Seriously, I do not know what all you people are freaking out about?

Here is what happened:

1. I plugged it in to the pc (win7)

2. it installed drivers

3. saw the virtual drive letter showing up in addition to the data drive letter

4. tried updating firmware and said “cannot update firmware 2.003 currently on mybook, contact support” (ok so no biggie, assuming already have the latest fw)

5. disabled the VCD using the utility on WD web site (piece of cake)

6. drive shows 2TB free space - READY TO GO!! NO SMARTWARE!!

I have all the space, no VCD folder or drive letter and it functions as a NORMAL drive. No requirements to use their software.

What is the problem here anyway?

** ps my only dissapointment  with WD (unrelated to smartware) is that the first drive I got wouldnt even boot up, so I exchanged for a replacement.

spazzed101 wrote:

I have all the space, no VCD folder or drive letter and it functions as a NORMAL drive. No requirements to use their software.

What is the problem here anyway?

Well, you’re in the minority. :wink:

For most people, there appear to be several life-and-death issues with having the VCD:

1. I paid for that space – I want to be able to use it… I don’t want it taken up by a VCD”… but that’s not truly applicable… you paid extra to have the VCD and the lock/unlock – a bare drive would have been cheaper and not had the VCD
  2. "It won’t work on my PVR/DVR/etc… because of the VCD" … well, it never claimed to… it says what versions of Windows and MacOS it will work with… WD makes other drives that would have worked with other devices
  3. I don’t want to have to use the Smartware”… you don’t have to
  4. I don’t want to see the VCD”… well, you can hide it… and on newer drives it comes hidden and only shows up if you set a password for the drive
  5. I don’t want to have to hide the VCD that I don’t even want in the first place”… well, you could have bought a drive that didn’t have it in the first place, if you have no intentions of using the encryption and the locking/unlocking
  6. I don’t see why WD can’t just make the drive without it”… well, they do make many drives without it.  But any of the encryptable drives _ nee** d**_ the lock/unlock stuff on the VCD to function.  WD has said numerous times that they can’t (and won’t) not put the VCD on the encryptables.
  7. “_But, you’re not listening… I don’t want it!! _”… then why buy a drive that had it instead of one that doesn’t???

:wink:

“_But, you’re not listening… I don’t want it!! _”… then why buy a drive that had it instead of one that doesn’t???

so quoted roofingguy… because the version without it was about 20 bucks more for the same 500GB and on a cashier’s paycheck, i CANT F-ING AFFORD IT

90% of the time, if a computer product says it “comes with” something, it doesn’t mean it is “permanently attatched” to something