Request Official WD Response

Will there be any update to WD TV Live?

I still want to upgrade my 1.3.49 version, but random play isn’t random in any version above.

(Tried 1.06.15_V also, but doesn’t play random. With 35.000 tracks, it keeps choosing tracks from about 10 albums.)

Hey Bill , the smp and hub have new firmware…what’s the word on whether the wd tv live is getting a new firmware or is it being abandoned? Where is bill hiding?

I’m not hiding.  At least, not yet.  I’ll check into this, to make sure, but I have seen some action on it. 

Weak, and not suprised. It’s over.

Oh ye of little faith.

Bill_S

So is there any actions on it and some hope or not? 

This thread is funny.

It reminded me of another thread somewhere about a bunch of folks who bought billions worth of Iraqi Dinars for pennies on the dollar and hoping for a revaluation. Oh well.

Bill_S , have you checked into whether the wd tv live is getting another firmware? How long can it possibly take to find that out? I think WD is afraid to tell us the truth !

I don’t think that WD is deliberately trying to deceive us!

Bill_S has given us the information that he was told at the time. However, WD is a huge company with many different projects all going on at the same time. In any company, unforeseen events occur and priorities change. Unfortunately, since the Live and Live Plus are older products, the firmware upgrades get lower priority.

1 Like

At this point it would be a miracle if we see any more updates to our beloved Live Plusses

horizons1 wrote:

At this point it would be a miracle if we see any more updates to our beloved Live Plusses

Hey, I love my live pluses, too.  Okay, I know for a fact that the WD TV Live and Live Plus are not being abandoned, and that there is at least one more firmware coming out.  However, this update is taking more time with testing and such.  I can’t say why it’s taking more time, or when it will be ready.  But part of that is because we’re plainly not sure.   But it is still planned.

Bill_S wrote:

horizons1 wrote:

Hey, I love my live pluses, too.  Okay, I know for a fact that the WD TV Live and Live Plus are not being abandoned, and that there is at least one more firmware coming out.  However, this update is taking more time with testing and such.  I can’t say why it’s taking more time, or when it will be ready.  But part of that is because we’re plainly not sure.   But it is still planned.

If they didn’t take that much time I would of still kept my LIVE PLUS because to tell you the truth, I did loved the simplicity layout of the darn thing, but unfortunately I traded it in for something else (HUB) where FW support is inifinite…and I have no regrets!

@ Bill_S

Is it possible we can get a general idea or even a high level overview on what to expect from this new firmware?

I for one want only one thing.  I want the ability to use a USB hub and hook up more than 2 HDDs.  I know there is “unofficial” firmware that offers this.  However, that same firmware doesnt allow 3+GB HDDs.  I know this feature has been requested countless times and its clear its a possibility.

IF there is no chance this option is being added, it would be nice to know.  I dont want to sit here waiting for a feature that isnt even being worked on.  Im also not going to run out and buy another WD product that does allow this feature when the product ive already purchased has the ability.

Any sort of information on whats to come would be great.  If they are in testing as you suggest, it shouldnt be too big of a request to ask for some highlights and/or expectations for us users.

80sGuy wrote:

If they didn’t take that much time I would of still kept my LIVE PLUS because to tell you the truth, I did loved the simplicity layout of the darn thing, but unfortunately I traded it in for something else (HUB) where FW support is inifinite…and I have no regrets!

My wife uses the Hub everyday.  She loves it too.  I’ve been using the Live Plus for so long that I don’t know when I’ll update. 

videoveteran wrote:

@ Bill_S

Is it possible we can get a general idea or even a high level overview on what to expect from this new firmware?

I for one want only one thing.  I want the ability to use a USB hub and hook up more than 2 HDDs.  I know there is “unofficial” firmware that offers this.  However, that same firmware doesnt allow 3+GB HDDs.  I know this feature has been requested countless times and its clear its a possibility.

IF there is no chance this option is being added, it would be nice to know.  I dont want to sit here waiting for a feature that isnt even being worked on.  Im also not going to run out and buy another WD product that does allow this feature when the product ive already purchased has the ability.

Any sort of information on whats to come would be great.  If they are in testing as you suggest, it shouldnt be too big of a request to ask for some highlights and/or expectations for us users.

According to our Knowledge Base article below, the latest firmware update for the Live Plus already gives you the ability to use 3TB drives. 

As for any highlights on what this next firmware update may bring, they won’t tell us that.  For hopefully obvious reasons, our product team is very non-committal when it comes to publicly addressing what firmware updates contain, especially when we’re still testing some of it. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5875/

OK… Since this is becoming a joke, and the WD development team cannot do the testing procedure within an acceptable time frame, I am a volunteer to beta test the so-far firmware…  I mean come on guys… Microsoft did the beta testing and is releasing Windows 8 sooner than your update.

Free of charge, I can sign confidentiality papers if you like, and I will NOT release it earlier if you are afraid of that… Maybe a group of 15-20 persons can be gathered from within this thread, and help the poor guys.

Because I guess dear Bill_S you don’t have a copy of this super-faultless-work-and-test-in-progress-firmware for testing, and no-one has either, and we are based on the good will of a person or two inside WD… if they have spare time maybe they are kind enough to prepare the update… :-/

user9 wrote:

OK… Since this is becoming a joke, and the WD development team cannot do the testing procedure within an acceptable time frame, I am a volunteer to beta test the so-far firmware…  I mean come on guys… Microsoft did the beta testing and is releasing Windows 8 sooner than your update.

Free of charge, I can sign confidentiality papers if you like, and I will NOT release it earlier if you are afraid of that… Maybe a group of 15-20 persons can be gathered from within this thread, and help the poor guys.

Because I guess dear Bill_S you don’t have a copy of this super-faultless-work-and-test-in-progress-firmware for testing, and no-one has either, and we are based on the good will of a person or two inside WD… if they have spare time maybe they are kind enough to prepare the update… :-/

And how many updates will Microsoft issue after the release to cure bugs etc. Bill has already stated that WD are going to release an update. How do you know that 15-20 people on this forum don’t already have beta firmware for testing, the answer is that you don’t.

richUK wrote:

And how many updates will Microsoft issue after the release to cure bugs etc. Bill has already stated that WD are going to release an update. How do you know that 15-20 people on this forum don’t already have beta firmware for testing, the answer is that you don’t.

eeehhmmm… This is just an example to compare the time spent for the update… Of course you cannot compare a full OS to an embeded OS that only has to play media files… This thread was started July 2011… nearly 8 months ago… and during this period the “update is coming” (much like “Winter is coming”).

I don’t know if people from this  forum  have a beta version of the firmware… I cannot follow the whole forum. It is clear enough that i wrote about this  thread , and there is no mention in here that a quite open beta testing is going on… If it is mentioned somewhere, my apologies. Case is that  I can contribute, and I guess a number of other users would do that as well…

From my experience as a programmer, if you only have one shot (which seems to be the case), then spend any resources available for testing (preferably on a wider testing base). This way, you might be able to catch more bugs and thus offer a more stable release…

Simple as that and no need to argue with each other (and please do not try to support WD! As a customer, as well, I am aware of the whole situation).

user9 wrote:

richUK wrote:

eeehhmmm… This is just an example to compare the time spent for the update… Of course you cannot compare a full OS to an embeded OS that only has to play media files… This thread was started July 2011… nearly 8 months ago… and during this period the “update is coming” (much like “Winter is coming”).

I don’t know if people from this  forum  have a beta version of the firmware… I cannot follow the whole forum. It is clear enough that i wrote about this  thread , and there is no mention in here that a quite open beta testing is going on… If it is mentioned somewhere, my apologies. Case is that  I can contribute, and I guess a number of other users would do that as well…

From my experience as a programmer, if you only have one shot (which seems to be the case), then spend any resources available for testing (preferably on a wider testing base). This way, you might be able to catch more bugs and thus offer a more stable release…

Simple as that and no need to argue with each other (and please do not try to support WD! As a customer, as well, I am aware of the whole situation).

I am not ‘supporting’ WD or ‘arguing’ just putting my opinion on a user to user forum. WD don’t normally advertise any firmware updates so when they actually confirm that they are working on it, then I for one are minded to believe them. Unfortunately WD do not operate in a ‘common sense’ way and thats probably why they always put out buggy firmware.

user9 wrote:

I don’t know if people from this  forum  have a beta version of the firmware…

Now you do and it’s a closed beta, btw.