Request Official WD Response

They are still working on the firmware update.  It may take a while longer, because we are still ironing out a couple of issues.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update, Bill.

You’re welcome.

Bill_S wrote:

They are still working on the firmware update.  It may take a while longer, because we are still ironing out a couple of issues.

That is great news. Since it will likely be the last, it is better to have all the bugs fixed and have it released later. Thanks for the info Bill_S.

1 Like

Why the long wait? I’ve already returned mine.

Thanks for the info, Bill.

Ayhan

1 Like

Thanks, great to hear it.

1 Like

Bill_S wrote:

This is great news!

I’d recommend also WD to start adopting test-first, agile development in the software development. Test-last approach leads to ineffectiveness, bad quality, and much longer release cycles. I know good coaches in US who can teach these techniques and skills to you.

The firmware till now that is the most stable is 1.04.22.After that the 1.05.04 and 1.06.15 is very buggy.So we all need a really good up do date firmware from WD.I support WD as much i can but they must show something good to their customers and dont ignore them.Lets wait some more days to try the new firmware.

Not to discourage anyone, but the ONLY way to overcome this issue is to replace your LIVE PLUS with either the ‘1TB HUB’ or the ‘WD LIVE STREAMING’. I doubt that there will be any more firmware release(s). The LIVE STREAMING is essentially the same thing compared to the LIVE PLUS except for Wifi, they’d already released a few updates and the newset FW seemed to have corrected all the bugs. The layout also is the exact same with the 1TB HUB excet for FW numbers.

I’ved used all of them, the best one is the HUB. The newest LIVE STREAMING Wifi version came pretty close but there’s a delay when watching Netflix, it takes time to pick up (buffer) before it gets to HD quality. It also does the same whenever you Forward or Rewnding the content. The HUB is smooth sailing with no lag once Netflix is on. So ultimately, I’ve also returned the LIVE STREAMING and ended up just keeping the 1TB HUB

Great news to hear that WD are still committed to solve user reported problems and keep the product alive for some time to come. Bill_S is it in any way possible to give indications on how low the ironing is going to take? Likewise any indictations on content of the upcoming release are greatly appreciated.

If the product has reached its end of life, a dream scenario for dedicated users (and a great gesture to reliable customers), could be a release of the complete code base to open source society, making it possible for enthusiasts to enjoy the product a little further.

1 Like

bastrup wrote:

Great news to hear that WD are still committed to solve user reported problems and keep the product alive for some time to come. Bill_S is it in any way possible to give indications on how low the ironing is going to take? Likewise any indictations on content of the upcoming release are greatly appreciated.

If the product has reached its end of life, a dream scenario for dedicated users (and a great gesture to reliable customers), could be a release of the complete code base to open source society, making it possible for enthusiasts to enjoy the product a little further.

Beginning of the year.   I have no idea of the content of it.  We already release the GPL source code.  We just won’t release the full code, because that’s proprietary.

1 Like

New FW and new remote app for the newest models.  It’s getting harder and harder to resist laying down the $90 for a new device.  I’ve tried tem all and dollar for dollar WD is still the best choice.  Lots of people have jumped ship to the Roku.  But, no YouTube is a deal breaker IMO.

WD TV Live, Live Hub get an official iOS remote app, Vudu streaming and more 

What are the technical reasons / limitations why the WD TV Remote iOS app will not work with my WD TV Live +? Is this another tactic that WD is taking to strong-arm me into purchasing a new device? Why can’t my WD TV Live + run the new GUI that I see on the Streaming / Hub? I’ve been pleased with my WD TV Live + that I have had since 06/10. I have recommended it to friends and family. If there is some kind of hardware limitation that is preventing these updates from being rolled out to the WD TV Live +, then I can live with that. But, simply to drop development on a product in order to force people into purchasing a new one is only going to burn bridges and destroy your customer base. Once people start defecting it will be hard to get them back.

Sorry for the rant, but I am a little annoyed by this.

Thanks for your time and efforts Bill_S

Nehptis wrote:

New FW and new remote app for the newest models.  It’s getting harder and harder to resist laying down the $90 for a new device.  I’ve tried tem all and dollar for dollar WD is still the best choice.  Lots of people have jumped ship to the Roku.  But, no YouTube is a deal breaker IMO.

WD TV Live, Live Hub get an official iOS remote app, Vudu streaming and more 

I gave up all and kept only the HUB. It seems to be the most stable one; even over the new LIVE (Wifi) STREAMING which I’d also returned.

Bill, is there any chance that WD would release a beta version before the final version for the volunteers in the WD Community?

tjkaz wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

As I understand it, there will be at least one more firmware update for the Live and Live Plus.  After that, I don’t know.   However, if it we stop supporting either one of those, I will surely let you know. 

This may be a dumb question/comment, but WD did continue to release FW updates for the Live even after the Plus came out.  Why would the latest Live product release result in anything different?

They want you to keep buying new stuff. Buy buy buy.

whattheheck wrote:

tjkaz wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

As I understand it, there will be at least one more firmware update for the Live and Live Plus.  After that, I don’t know.   However, if it we stop supporting either one of those, I will surely let you know. 

This may be a dumb question/comment, but WD did continue to release FW updates for the Live even after the Plus came out.  Why would the latest Live product release result in anything different?

They want you to keep buying new stuff. Buy buy buy.

The Live and the Plus were the same Gen, the Plus added Netflix for the countries that supported it.

kyosti wrote:

Bill, is there any chance that WD would release a beta version before the final version for the volunteers in the WD Community?

The way the process has been lately, I doubt it, and especially if this turns out to be the last update.

Bill_S wrote:

kyosti wrote:

The way the process has been lately, I doubt it, and especially if this turns out to be the last update.

This is sad, especially if this turns out to be the last update. This tells me that your production/release process is heavy and cumbersome. Otherwise you would get professional help and valuable feedback for almost free from the enthusiasts in the community.

Well, let’s just hope that the last update fixes all the existing problems!