[REQUEST] New Features - Please put all your requests in this thread

Glad to see more people requesting raw DV video support, whether AVI, MOV or .DV they are all different containers for the same format of raw, uncompressed video.

I’m baffled as to how this wasn’t a feature right out of the box when the WD TV Live first launched since these are not compressed and therefore no special codec is required to play.

Exactly - Excellent point !    Especially considering that processing is done uncompressed in the first place !  The compressed data is decoded and the resulting uncompressed frame is stored in memory.    Processing raw uncompressed AVI works around the same principle, you would parse the AVI and pass directly the uncompressed frame as no decompression is required.

Ridiculous - a media player that does not support raw AVI !  This is why I’m saying the support for this unit is abysmal.

There is so much more you can do with this unit’s programmable DSP and there is quite sufficient memory onboard to allow this !  the unit is not exploited to its fullest, not even to its 30%!

Also think it is a wate of time to have a feature request section as they don’t listen to anybody and their firmware updates are minor adjustments and nothing significantly new added - this is how most companies work now.

I too would like to have support for my AVI files that I download from my DV camcorder.  I’m looking at a media server and this seems to be the only thing stopping me from buying this product.  I would suggest maybe looking into the Xtreamer, but I read somewhere they are having PQ issues.

I would also like for the WDTV Live to remember and continue where I left off the next time i play the same movie.

Problem solved…bad translation from English to German ^^

Heh heh - what I want on top of this list is to make the unit do what it’s advertised to do. Plenty of posts here indicate that it falls short of its promise.

I have WDTV1 and am considering buying the live version, but since it doesn’t have netflix support, I don’t think i’m going to.  I guess i’m going to have to buy a roku box and have two media boxes :-\

Greenmet29 wrote:

I have WDTV1 and am considering buying the live version, but since it doesn’t have netflix support, I don’t think i’m going to.  I guess i’m going to have to buy a roku box and have two media boxes :-\

Get a PC with a video card that you can connect to the TV instead.

I made this request in a different thread, but this seems to be a more appropriate place for it:

I’d like to make formal request for RTL8191SU wireless chipset support.

Actually the best place for it is the Idea Exchange, that is where your suggestions will get the most visibility:

WD TV Live Ideas

Search to make sure it hasn’t been suggested already, and be sure to vote for and comment on Ideas you want to see implemented.

-WendyM

jacksonlui wrote:

I would also like for the WDTV Live to remember and continue where I left off the next time i play the same movie.

I don’t understand this request as every time I play a movie it does ask if I want to resume playback where I left off or restart at the beginning.

As mentioned better support for windows 7 “play to” feature… Besides the mentioned, you should be able to control the voulume of the music from the “play to” interface, which is not working now. You can, of course pause/stop and skip, but the voulume adjustment bar does simply not have any effekt. Please solve this, its kind of annoying that you have to use the buttons on the speakers to adjust volume.

Thanks in advance!!

I´d like to change country default at youtube.

When you select most viewing videos or another category always list american´s videos, but i´d like can change to spanish

Thanks

hardware wrote:

I´d like to change country default at youtube.

When you select most viewing videos or another category always list american´s videos, but i´d like can change to spanish

Thanks

That’s interesting. I noticed that when I pull up the “favorited” videos on my player, they’re all in some language other than English. If there’s a setting for this, I’d like to be able to adjust it, too.

1- usb wireless mouse support will be easier for text input and selections

2- reminder / alarm / scheduler

3- dvd iso menu support

4- read avi files from camcorder

5- remote via internet (i can control with my mobiles window 6.1 phone via the internet)

6- karaoke

The above mentioned “AVI files from the camcorder” are DV format, so that’s another request for DV format support.

1- My one and main complaint/feature request on the WD HD line, is support for embeded blu-ray subtitles of the PGS format (Presentation Graphics Stream). It’s a real pain to have to rip subtitles every time I convert one of my blu-ray disks to a file, specially when they are forced subtitles!!

2- Support for “forced subtitles” for all media. This sounds trivial until you watch District 9 and the aliens start talking in their native language and you have no clue on what is going on.

I’m planning on upgrading to a LAN-enabled device soon (currently own the WD HD media player), and the availability of these 2 features will determine if I will stay on the WD family or go to ASUS O!Play which does support blu-ray PGS subtitles already.

1. DV AVI format suport: most of home videos are converted/transferred from digital camcorders to DV AVI; not having this format supported, makes WD TV Live almost useless.

Like Alex_WD I am surprised to find out that DV AVI format is not supported by my new WD TV LIVE. So my 500 gb raw homevideo backup cannot be played, and make my WD TV LIVE worthless for me, because now I have to connect my notebook anyway. :cry:

Strange that it will play the recorded video from my new Canon HD camera without any problems. No Windows program I have tried could play this???

Things like DV format are not supported by the chipset and cannot be added.  This box uses a dedicated hardware decoder, it is not like on a pc where you just install a codec.  When it is designed it either plays a format or it doesn’t. The best they can do is microcode updates to the chip to fix compatibility, it doesn’t add new codecs.

If you bought the box to play back raw DV video then I would return it or you can convert your video to something like h.264.