Os X yosemite and WD my cloud

mtalbott wrote:

@Bill_S.  Thank you for working on this, however,  can you please give us more than, “I don’t have anything yet.  But it shouldn’t be too long now.”

Please understand that this is a device-killing issue for many people that is making our sizable personal investment useless, and for those with important data on there drives there is much more at stake.  It would help the customers if you could tell us more about what the issue is on WD’s end, how WD plans on solving it, and if possible, a timeframe on resolution.

I hope that you have the resourses necessary to fix this ASAP. If not, I hope you ask the bosses at WD to understand the severity of selling a product that doesn’t work on Yosemite, and provide you with what you need. I fear that is not the case since you first acknowledged this issued on this thread back on 11-25-14 and still haven’t released a fix.

-Help us,

Mike

I’m not sure what you’re experiencing, but the latest firmware update for the My Cloud fixed an AFP (Apple File Protocol) performance issue that was causing problems with the My Cloud and Yosemite.  Since then, we’ve been using our My Clouds to do TimeMachine backups on all our Macs (all using Yosemite), without any issues.  So, if there is an issue we’re not aware of, then I would recommend contacting support for further support on this. 

I bought a wd my cloud drive in february 2015, i have got it setup on my iphone 5S with IOS8 and on my windows 7 workstation, but i cant even set it up on my macbook pro 13", the macbook pro wont even register it on the network but it does work because i am currently streaming data from my wd my cloud on to my iphone.

so what is the problem, does wd mycloud work with yosemite 10.10 yewt or not because i cant even get my macbook to detect it, i cant even get it setup up never mind transfer data via automatic time machine backup.

can anyone help please

thank you.

I can confirm the WD My Cloud works perfectly with Yosemite.

When I first set up MC I immediately upgraded the firmware to v04.01.03-421 via the dashboard.

After confirming all the functionality with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14 I connected my wife’s Mac Book Pro directly via ethernet for the initial Time Machine backup. At that that time I installed the My Cloud desktop app for her.

The initial ethernet backup took ~40 minutes, subsequent wifi backups take ~7 minutes.

hello,

for me it doesn’t work… my mac with Yosemit 10.10.3 can’t find My cloud that i bought 2 days ago… so i can’t install it… what is the solution?

any help please?

I bought last week on recommendation of the Gravis shop (a major distributor for Apple in Germany) the MyCloud 4TB. Want to use it to back up 2 iMacs via Airport Extreme, both running OSX 10.10.3. MyCloud is upgraded to latest firmware.

Whilst backing up the 1st iMac via timemachine I found it extremely slow (30 GB in 24 hours), hence I connected the MyCloud directly to the iMac via ethernet cable. Again the result is agonizing slow (about 120 GB per day). The iMac hard disk still has sufficient space available - what could be the problem?

Another issue: I want to copy the new Photoslibrary from my main iMac to the personal cloud, in order to get remote access. The copying is refused because of the file name. I read through previous posts in this forum relating to iphoto and made sure that I followed the advice of updating the firmware which should have solved the issue. Is this now a new issue coming up because of the conversion from iphoto to photos?

A third issue: due to limited number of network connections on the airport extreme, I have to put a switch between the 2nd iMac and the MyCloud. As soon as I do this, the MyCloud is no longer visible from this iMac. What would be the correct configuration for:

• 2 iMacs

• 1 WD MyCloud to back up both and create remote access to the cloud with shared files

• 1 network printer

through an Airport extreme and a switch?

PS: although this doesn’t relate to the subject: I love your Community registration form in German language!

Vorname: (translates to: first name)

Nachnahme: (translates to: cash on delivery)

Country scroll down in alphabetical order:

Georgia

Deutschland

Greece

:wink:

HelgeK wrote:

PS: although this doesn’t relate to the subject: I love your Community registration form in German language!

Vorname: (translates to: first name)

Nachnahme: (translates to: cash on delivery)

Country scroll down in alphabetical order:

Georgia

Deutschland

Greece

:wink:

Thanks for the heads up.  You are the first to ever bring this up.  Is the correct translation “Nachnamen”?  Or is there a better translation?

“Nachname” is correct.

Great to see such a fast response!

The registration page has been updated.  Thank you.

1 Like

Greetings,

I am in the process of comparing WD MyCloud EX2 with both QNAP and Synology NAS devices, and will make a purchase soon.  Based on all the “fun” comments here, I am becoming quite reluctant to purchase the WD NAS.  Additionally, the WD EX2 specifications still do not list MAC Yosemite as a compatible Operating System.

Any updates as of now (mid-August 2015)?

Thanks,

Dave

DaveFinton wrote:

Greetings,

I am in the process of comparing WD MyCloud EX2 with both QNAP and Synology NAS devices, and will make a purchase soon.  Based on all the “fun” comments here, I am becoming quite reluctant to purchase the WD NAS.  Additionally, the WD EX2 specifications still do not list MAC Yosemite as a compatible Operating System.

Any updates as of now (mid-August 2015)?

Thanks,

Dave

Although I’m on firmware 3.04, I’m am sure that any problems that WD had had with yosemite has been resolved as we are now entering the El Capitan era with no other complaints from Yosemite users, myself included. 

If you already have the requisite knowledge of using a NAS, such as IP Static or mapping an external drive by “Connecting to a Server” on a mac plus SSH’ing into a linux device, then you should be set to have fun with your WD EX2 purchase.

With an EX2 you won’t get too much savings in comparison with purchasing a similar QNap or Synology.  Here in Canada, I see an 8TB EX 2 going for about $500 (on sale) and $650 normally. A  comparable drive such as QNAP TS-231 will set you back about $234 plus 2x4tb reds $440 ($220 each) thus for a total $674.  

The major difference however between the two is that QNap is known for its NAS(iness) with real linux apps that you can install where-as EX2 and the Cloud is more for the consumer side which does have installable apps but the longivity is not quite there.

If you can find a good EX2 for cheap, like $500 isn’t too bad when you consider that a bare bone 4TB red drive is going for $220, thus you get a NAS for $60 is a pretty good deal. 

However if you really want a NAS that is really a server and you don’t mind the cost then a QNap is the way to go.

Thanks for your very helpful reply!

I am a NAS newcomer, and have not decided which system to purchase.  My primary usage will be to back up photographs, and allow friends and family to access them.  I currently have about 15000 photos which I adjust using Lightroom and Photoshop, and will store the results on the NAS.  I also intend to utilize Apple Time Machine to back up my files on my iMac and my Mac Laptop. Compatibility with the Mac Operating System is a must.

So far I have been comparing a Synology 215j or even a 215+, and a QNAP TS-251.  I’m figuring on using two WD RED 4TB drives, configured as RAID 1.

Does this sound logical?

Thanks again,

Dave

Good luck with the comparison :slight_smile: Since I don’t have either of those systems, I have no favorites other than my own.

However if I did have the money to spare, the Qnap $400 (on sale) $500 normally, would be my other choice since I’ve followed them since my server days and plus the QNAP ts-251 has a built in HDMI that can play movies directly to your TV.

Most definitely get the Red drives.

1 Like

Dear All,

I just bought “WD My Cloud 4TB” several days ago. Unfortunately, I got the same old issue like others- MacBookPro connects WDMyCloud with smb instead of afp…….

Here is the situation that I’m struggling ….

I have:

1. WD My Cloud 4TB (v04.01.04-422)
  2. MacBookProRetina 2014 (Yosemite 10.10.5)
  3. Windows10 laptop

About Windows:

WDMyCloud works fine with my windows

About Mac:

When I turn on the MBPR, the system will connect “WDMyCloud” via “afp://WDMyCloud._afpovertcp._tcp.local”, which is a little bit slower accessing speed but can be detected as a Mac’s Machine. “Time Machine” can be used as well.

However, after 1~2 minutes, the connection will lose automatically and reconnect “wdmycloud” via “smb://wdmycloud”, which is a little bit faster accessing speed but will be detected as a Windows’ Machine. “Time Machine” won’t work at all( WD’s HDD can’t be detected by Time Machine).

Until I reboot My MBPR or WDMyCloud, My MBPR will keep recognizing “wdmycloud” via “smb://wdmycloud”……

I can still access WD looking for file or something by MBPR, but just can’t use Time Machine, which is the main reseaon I bought it.

I’ve tried to reboot, reset MyCloud, connect via “afp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX”. Either way, Time Machine doesn’t work.

Could anyone help me out? Thank you all for the time looking at this.

PierreLeeTw, 

I would suggest you start up a new post instead of posting it within this thread. This post is quite old and people in the know might pass it by with your question un-answered. 

Also you might want to contact WD support that might give you a better answer then the users who are in this forum. 

However do post up a new post and hopefully someone will answer you quickly.

I experimented this problem too, but i was using the IP address to access via afp to the device.

i am under a iMac retina.

My problem got solved after I changed the name of the device under settings>general (using the browser GUI) and connected with finder using go> connect to server > afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with IP address and  a user / password.

finder is now listing all smoothly, using the assigned name, dunno why :).

for the record

I assigned a static IP to the device on the router

I changed the device name

I conected to smb://deviceName *(to test speed)

I disconected (ejected)

I connected again using now afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip)

now the device is shared perfectly on the finder window, under shared tab

i am trying to check if is real afp

the fun fact: now i can also access perfecly from my macbookpro laptop too as a guest trought the shared tab

hope this helps :slight_smile:

HelgeK wrote:

Whilst backing up the 1st iMac via timemachine I found it extremely slow (30 GB in 24 hours), hence I connected the MyCloud directly to the iMac via ethernet cable. Again the result is agonizing slow (about 120 GB per day). The iMac hard disk still has sufficient space available - what could be the problem?

--------------> If it’s any consolation to people, Time Machine backups to Seagate’s FreeAgent hard drive, connected in the regular way via a USB cable, seem to be equally slow, though they seem to speed up after a time.

On my Imac, I have installed WDmycloud which was successfully installed. Last night I was trying to access my wdmycloud but I do not see it. 

Under devices too it does not show and when I type in the ip address in my browser I cannot connect either.

WD Tech support - Can you help, please?

Thank you 

ResidencePlc wrote:

On my Imac, I have installed WDmycloud which was successfully installed. Last night I was trying to access my wdmycloud but I do not see it. 

Under devices too it does not show and when I type in the ip address in my browser I cannot connect either.

WD Tech support - Can you help, please?

Thank you 

Posting here is a good idea and will / should generate responses … but please be aware this is a user forum and as such is NOT WD Tech Support.

I suggest reviewing this link