No writable WD SmartWare partition found

I’ve done a reboot several times - no help.  Sometimes when I open “Computer” (Windows Explorer) I see the “Public( [\MyBookLive](file://%5C%5CMyBookLive))” with a RED “X” .  When I click on the path it goes away. 

I found a file called: WDFME in the WD Smartware folder.  IT is a TEXT file that contains a log.  I see the following error posted several times a day:

2/20/2011 10:25:02 AM >>> ERROR Tally Enqueue System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
   at System.DateTime.ToFileTimeUtc()
   at Tally.Enqueue(MessageItem items)

Not sure if this is related to my issue…

Thanks for the info Chris.

I have tried EVERYTHING!  Wiping out the HD, Rebooting, Installing and re installing, etc… 

WD hard drives are typically very reliable.  But as we see, their software leaves much to be desired.  I will use 3rd party software and stop wasting my time. 

Thank you to everyone who tried to offer solutions.  Much appreciated.

Good luck.

Dave out…

Thanks to WDTony I got the problem fixed!

My problem was that I’ve created a user on the MyBookLive with the same username but a different password than my Windows user. I could access network drives on the MyBookLive after typing in the other password for the MyBookLive but smartware was not able to connect.

After changing the password of the MyBookLive to the same as on my Windows PC everything is working! Even my mapped network drives are “green” right after Windows starts, I do not have to open them first as before (they had a red X in the windows explorer what caused other SW to not be able to access the drive until I opened it manually first).

/Chris

1 Like

I have reloaded my OS (Windows 7) and loaded the Smartware SW.  It is backing up my files ok now.  I have not loaded the UPDATED SmartWare SW yet; loaded the SW that came on the install CD.  Will see how it does over the next week before I update it.

Rebooting the MBL did the trick for me.  BTW, the problem did occur immediatly after the network had gone down.

-Scott

I had this problem.  Installed MBL last night.  At first I could see the MBL in WD Smartware and so I ran backup overnight.  From the Web interface, I can see the contents of the drive and the backup appears.  But this morning from WD Smartware it says 'No writable WD SmartWare partition found.  The IP address hasn’t changed.  I updated the firmware (to MyBookLive 01.03.03 : MioNet 4.3.1.12), updated the Smartware software to 1.4.5.2 and rebooted the MBL and the computer (running XP).  I think I am going to give up and find other backup software.

Your post was blank. Using IE9? Check this post:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/IE9-and-WDC-Forum-Compatibility/m-p/167170/message-uid/167170#U167170

I had this problem for ever.  I just now noticed an update that addresses this problem - and it worked for me. 

Thx for the info for blind posts…

D

Lets Try again with Compatibility set for IE( (THANKS!).

I had same issue.  Fix was you need to have .NET 3.5 installed/running (You can have 3.5 coincide with .NET 4.0) BEFORE you in install the WD and the SmartWare SW.  If you install it before you will have to do a FULL FACTORY RESTORE of the WD device or/and reload your OS.  On my first Desktop (Win 7) the RESTORE fixed the issue, when I added the second Desktop w/o .NET 3.5 again (Win 7) had same issue.  I did not want to do a RESTORE and lose the current backup, thus i did a reload of Win 7 and that worked.  Since doing all that I have 2 Desktops and 2 Laptops backing up for some time now with no issues (on the Laptops I enabled /NET 3.5 first!).

How do you enable Net 3.5?

On XP machines you just install it ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6&displaylang=en).  There may be some pre-reqs"  for XP machines.  On Win 7 it should be part of the orignal install, however you have to turn it on.  You go to: Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features.  On the left side of the screen click on "Turn Windows Features On or OFF.  A window will open and you’ll see the option for .Net 3.5.1.  Click the “+” next tot he check box and then click on the 2 check boxes that appear.  Then click “OK”…r

We had a user who we advised to get one of these for his house. He ran into the same problem.

What I found was that on each of the dysfunctional machines, the “client for microsoft networks” client had become uninstalled and the workstation service was no longer present. The quickview showed the device, but it was still non-functional.

Easy steps to fix it.

click start

click run

type ncpa.cpl

hit ok.

Right click on your network adapter.

click on properties

Verify that client for microsoft networks is present.

If client for microsoft networks is missing, click on install and choose client, then client for microsoft networks.

Right click on the quickview icon and map the drive again, then go ahead and configure your backup.

Regards,

James Kohos

Guardian Microsystems

www.guardian.net

i have had the same problem. works great on laptop running windows 7. **bleep** on pc runninrg xp. plus wd helpers don’t have a clue. somebody needs to research their problem and fix it.

I had that error on XP.  I went back into services and put back to auto start things like Upnp, NLA, etc.  I also went into the wireless adapter TCP/IP properties and put the Google DNS in of 8.8.8.8.  Finally, reserved an IP in the router for the MBL.

Some combination of those fixed it for me.  And a reboot in there too.