No audio when playing .avi files over Windows Network Shares

I have had a problem with no audio or simply no play at all with some .avi files.  I found that putting the avi file in a mkv container using handbrake remedies the problem.  Not sure if it will solve this probelm but maybe worth a try anyway.

nice work Tony!

you should consider posting this over in the WD TV Live SMP thread over at AVS…

I received my SMP on Monday (1/09/2012) and updated and it worked perfect at my brother’s house when I brought it over to test it out (devilry guy came as I was stepping out). Brought it back home and still worked perfectly. Tuesday, the device informed me there is a new update available (1.06 or something), and I installed it and the .avI file nightmare began.

I am having the exact same issue as everyone else, and I too have a netgear router. My content source (PC) is connected via WiFi and so is the SMP. I get choppy avi file playback , and no audio. When files are played locally via a thumb drive, no problem whatsoever.

Based on the timeline of the issues, I am wondering if the last update (1.06) fixed the problem for anyone, or am I the only tool with the SMP not working?

Are these issues related?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Firmware/Playback-Issues-with-M2TS-MPG-MPEG-and-TS-video-files-containing/td-p/299906

No, the bug has not been fixed in 1.06.02.

No, the other issue you linked is not related.

They should really fix this. Great player, but just doesn’t work right.

THANK you Tony!! You found the problem.  I have it also with about half of my AVI files.  I pulled a Cat 5 cable to the SMP this weekend and after all that work it improved it, but didn’t solve it.  Now all that was for nothing.  

UPDATE: I found a solution for mine.  I shut down the file streaming and shared the Synology 209 directories with CIFS share.  Now there is a large prebuffer spike, and the 200K data rate for all AVI files.  None have hung since I made this change. 

Doesn’t really matter to me whether streaming or sharing.  Perhaps someone with a lot more insight and knowledge can figure out where the real problem is.

Have the same issue here, WD plz fix this ASAP.

Same issue here, waiting for fix

Well I solved the no avi went from wireless to wired via WD Homeline Kit (Via house power wires) and now my avi’s play fine. Atm looks like wired is only solution until they fix the wireless avi bug. Btw that WD kit is awsome worked instantly and didnt have to run any Cat wires just plugged into wall socket )))

I just got this player from Amazon and … it doesn’t work.

*Edit* With a data source connected, I don’t have any issues. When streaming over my Windows Share, it plays my .MP3s, plays .WMVs, but AVI?  Screeching halt. Unaccaptable. WD please offer us a rolled-back firmware version that works if there are no plans to fix this major issue. I’m already thinking of returning it and giving PBO a shot.

Oracle_347 wrote:

I just got this player from Amazon and … it doesn’t work.

Plays my .MP3s, plays .WMVs, but AVI?  Screeching halt. Unaccaptable. WD please offer us a rolled-back firmware version that works if there are no plans to fix this major issue. I’m already thinking of returning it and giving PBO a shot.

Obviously it does work with .avi, it just does not work with your avi. An avi file is just a container and it may be that the contents of your file is not supported.

Post the complete output from mediainfo.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Not true as my avi files play fine over my wired livewire but when I go wireless it cant play the avi’s but plays everthing else fine wireless?

I’m talking about streaming. With a data source connected it works flawlessly.

If recently bought this product from Western Digital and I have the same problem.

I bought it for his Streaming capabilities and I’m so disappointed that *.AVI files cannot be seen throught streaming… whats the point then?

And for what I’m seeing here Western Digitals isn’t doing anything to solve it.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/AVI-files-shutter-and-lose-sound-when-played-over-network-share/idi-p/319539

So very bad, you will give us a solution soon or what ?

I am really really disapointed with this product.

I have bought it about 6 months ago. I have subscribed to this topic for replies, waiting for a fix. I always do the firmware updates. Nothing. THEY can’t fix this error. The fix toehr things, add new features, but not this. 

What I mean with the above is that I am not the usuall troll. I am a very patient customer, trying to give the developers a chance.

OK, this might be a group of issues, but give me a break, fix the most usuall ones at least. 

The Wifi playback is just a joke, I used to try playing a file for some time, only to find out that it would stop normal playback after 2-3minutes.

Now I don’t even try, I have lost all my faith in the product. I just copy the files to a USB external HDD in advance and play them from there.

Well done WD

I also have this problem and I am hoping that Wd will fix this problem. Common people we have to be loud about this problem, this is a multimedia device which have problem with avi playing. I personaly have huge collection of avi files and I really don’t want to remux each and every file.

Can’t confirm this problem with my wifi- and network-setup and AVI-files, sorry.

I haven’t seen anybody posting a mediainfo-log of affected AVI-files either.

The fact that the problem doesn’t exist for you doesn’t mean that it doesnt exist for others.

And we aren’t all hobbyists or have plenty of spare time to help WD debug it’s own product. The 1h / per day that we have free, we just want to sit on our couch with peace of mind and watch a movie, without having all this overhead.

If I have time I’ll try to post the mediainfo-log whatever. If you can, you can help by pointing a link with a how-to do that

I bought WD TV Live just last week, and I have this problem as well. No sound from AVI files when streaming via WiFi. Both with the factory firmware and with the latest update (done today, Sept 28 2012). However, there seems to be a strange wrinkle to this problem:

In WD TV Live you can choose to output sound as “stereo” or “Digital Pass Through via Optical Only”. When I use the digital/optical connection to my amplifier, I get NO sound with AVI files. But when I select the “stereo” option, I get AVI sound in my TV (but not in the amp).

Overall, this really **bleep**, because if I keep the stereo setting, I only get the crappy sound through my TV. In order to play music or watch non-AVI files with proper sound quality, I have to manually change the setting to “digital pass-through”.

This problem is a year old now. Hello, WD?