New Release - WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Firmware Version 2.01.86 (12/10/13)

Does WD have any current or future plans to support HBO Go on future Firmware updates?

Judging by the comments on this thread is it safe to say I shouldn’t update my firmware to 2.01.86? I just bought a new WD TV Live and haven’t updated it at all. Is 1.16.13 safe?

Thanks!

I’m still at 1.15.xx, and not going to 2.01.86 based on all the problems reported in these threads

Good to know. Is 1.15.xx a big improvement on what comes out of the box?

I have some gripes with it now.

Mainly that over wifi (ethernet connection is slower), when I go through videos to view a network share, turn it off after one session, then turn it back on again, it will sometimes forget the network share and say there are 0 items found in the videos section.

I tried adding the a folder in my network share to my media folder, but it’s aweful, it just lists out all the vidoes in a giant list. I expected it to respect my folder structure.

Finally, overall snappiness is wanting. I find that the interface lags behind my input. 

Any chance these are resolved in 1.15xx without breaking anythign else?

There’s no harm in trying 2.01, as you can roll back to whatever version you want afterwards.

Re: interface-snappyness: Have you set the resolution and refresh-rate of the device to Auto or to a fixed value? The problem is the interface-animations are locked to the refresh-rate. The higher the refresh-rate, the faster the animation.

Try the mainmenu when the device is set to 24p, it’s like a slideshow. :smiley:

1.15 is what mine came out of the box with and I’m happy with it.  I have mine connected via wired ethernet using gigabit switches and cabling - it’s very fast and I’ve never had a streaming issue.  All my media is stored on a Synology NAS which I connect to as a network share.  I have tested Netflix with it, but never use it through the WD - I only use it for streaming from my NAS and for that it works great.  I haven’t screwed with add-on themes or any of the other “pretty” stuff.  From what I read here the 1.16 firmware is OK, but mine isn’t broke, so I’m not going to fix it.  From all the horror stories here, I wouldn’t touch the current 2.01 update.

schwurbel: I haven’t touched the refresh-rate setting at all, I think it’s on Auto. I’ll give setting it manually a try and see if it improves. But part of my problem with the interface lagging is that sometimes it is just plain unresponsive, as if it trying to catch up. For example, I press right direction, and wait up to 30 seconds before anything happens. When it finally does respond, it’s usually okay after that… unless I leave it alone for awhile or turn it off.

fhall1: I just looked and found that my firmware version is 1.16, so I guess I’m set for now. Synology NAS is very tempting. I just stream everything off my PC, which is not always the most convenient way to do things.

“sometimes it is just plain unresponsive”

Mine regularly starts slowing down every couple weeks. My solution is to shut it down completely (5 second power-off button). When it comes back, it’s fine again (although it’s pretty annoying to have to do that).

fred9999 wrote:

“sometimes it is just plain unresponsive”

Mine regularly starts slowing down every couple weeks. My solution is to shut it down completely (5 second power-off button). When it comes back, it’s fine again (although it’s pretty annoying to have to do that).

Alright, it looks like it’s just a limitation that this piece of hardware has. 

Has anyone had the issue with it forgetting network shares and it telling you that the network folder is empty? I sometimes have to restart the device for the device to see that there is indeed media in those folders, which is really annoying.

futuremcfly wrote:> Alright, it looks like it’s just a limitation that this piece of hardware has. 

Has anyone had the issue with it forgetting network shares and it telling you that the network folder is empty? I sometimes have to restart the device for the device to see that there is indeed media in those folders, which is really annoying.

I’ve not had it forget its network shares, but I have had it see the network share folders as empty.  As you said a restart brings it back around.

Same issue here, thanks for your help.

Robothief wrote:

SuperMario86 wrote:

Same situation here.

WD Live + Yamaha YHT-196. It can happen after 15 minutes or 1 hour after WD Live is turned on, and once it is happened one time, it does not happen again since a WD Live reboot.

Seems like the WD Live begins to lose the audio because just before the big “buzz” I can hear the audio going off for very short time, and then a big buzz can be heard. The only way is to change the source (for example switch to TV and then switch back to WD Live on the amplifier) or to stop the movie and then play it again.

Seems like that there is some trouble with the hdmi sync for the audio part. Happens with last fw and also with the previous one for me

This issue is under investigation. 

I have installed the Firmware Version 2.01.86. Everyrhing seems to be fine except when I reproduce MKV Files X265.

X265 MKV Files is not allowed by the system, why ? Instead whit X264 MKV Files erything is OK.

Please, help me.

Thanxs

x.265 has never been supported.   Firmware change had nothing to do with that.  Are you saying that it worked before the firmware update?

No, I never try whit the old Firmware.

Existe a custom firmware 2014 ? or something ?

Thanxs

JOSE_ARG wrote:

No, I never try whit the old Firmware.

Existe a custom firmware 2014 ? or something ?

Thanxs

Firmware can’t add codecs.   All codecs are hardware-based.

No more cover/backdrop anymore from TMDB since two days

Incident opened on TMDB.

Reply from Travis Bell

“Are you guys running the latest firmware? We did indeed shut imgobject.com down , it’s been deprecated since 2012. I would be surprised to learn Western Digital hasn’t updated to use the latest URL (image.tmdb.org).”

Unfortunately, WD has’nt updated the URL link.

We need a firmware update to correct the wrong url link (imgobject.com)

I had hoped this firmware update would fix my box. It hasn’t.

Currently when I turn on the device from cold, there’s a 75% chance that it will find my media server, provide seemingly flawless navigation to the content, and then be unable to play without my having to restart the WD TV Live. In addition, when I try to pause, there’s a 50% chance that the file will continue to play but that an on-screen overlay will appear on top and this also cannot be removed until I restart the box (sometimes requiring me to pull out the power cable from the back, wait 5 seconds, then reinsert it).

Before this firmware, when I restarted the box it often required setting up as if it was brand new (Select your language, Setup network settings, setup the media locations etc.). This last problem does appear to have been resolved by updating the f/w but I was kinda hoping to get a usable media streamer from this upgrade and I haven’t.

This is my second WD streamer and it’s extremely unlikely I’ll be buying a third.

I might as well add my 2c worth - I have 2 WD TV Live units.  I have installed the Firmware Version 2.01.86. and find that I cannot play any media file (mkv, mp4, avi) longer than 5 minutes, at which point the playback halts and returns me to the WD Menu.  Rolled back the firmware 1.16.13

I am running the WD TV Lives on my home WiFi network, with media stored onto WD MyBookLive 2TB.  Same issue for both - no joy.  Is there a fix?  Is there a new edition of Firmware waiting in the wings which will sort this out? 

There are times where you have to reset the unit and start from a fresh point before install a new update.

Like a pc installing over other software often leads to a mess.

I got loads of mkv and they play fine.

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for the reply.  I have had to reinstall the Firmware from a USB stick, which I suppose reset everything, and then upgraded to 2.01.86 and that still had the same outcome (play stopped after about 5 minutes).  So I wonder if there is a correct sequence to reset this-can you give me the steps that worked for you and I will try it at my end.  My other thought is, is the firmware an international upgrade?  I am in Australia and there might be a difference?