New Release - WD TV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.42 (1/17/13)

Hi Bill,

Give us access to firmware version 1.06.34.

I tried 1.06.42 and all the posts on here give examples of what sort of problems we are having (me to).  I downgraded to 1.06.41_V and that is better but keep losing network shares and then wait for days for them to reappear.

FV 1.06.34 worked well for me except didn’t like utube leanback and login procedure, but hey man it worked…

Bill,> I would simply like to “piggyback” on Kline’s post (if he wouldnt mind!?!) … my thoughts/situation are very similar to his with the exception that my SAMBA shares are on a FreeBSD 9.1 based NAS server (NAS4Free 9.1.0.1).> I, like Kline, flashed from FW .16 to .42 and also experienced the inability to access my SAMBA shares from my Live Plus. I also tried virtually every avenue of t/s’ing i know to do without success. I then rolled back to FW .16 and am back to the almost flawless performance i had before with .16. I did not however open a support case.> While I am very disappointed because, like Kline, I was really excited to have the use of the android based remote app … at the end of the day though “Given a choice between my network shares or the new Android app though, I’ll take the network shares” !!!> I am “conditioned” to the never tranquil world of firmware upgrades and the sometimes perilous results of them even under the best of intentions of a manufacturer … with that being said - in an effort to possibly being a part of a solution versus a part of the disgruntled masses, I too would be happy to assist with whatever I might be able to like Kline.> My answers:> 1. Public> 2. Yes> 3. Never connected> 4. approx 45 minutes

Kline wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

However, if still have problems accessing your shares, could you please also post answers to the following questions:

-          Are your shares private or public?

-          Have you attempted to reset to factory defaults?

-          Do your shares connect or disconnect after a power cycle?

-          How long did you wait for the share to appear, before giving up?  If you didn’t wait very long (1-2 minutes), could you try leaving it for 5-10 minutes.

As has been stated here in the community, you might want to restart your computer, if your shares are located on that computer.

Sorry if I missed it as I did not read every post in this thread, but I also have this issue but with Samba shares on Debian Linux. Not any Windows OS. I opened a support case on the issue as I have never had any problems even with my moderately complex network, until this latest firmware. After exhausing troubleshooting efforts between resetting the WDTV, restarting services on my linux box, etc, support suggested I rollback to the previous version and now everything works perfectly again, without any config/wiping or resetting needed. I asked support if there was hope to see this bug corrected as I was enjoying the ability to control my WDTV via my Android tablet and they said to post here, so I am. Given a choice between my network shares or the new Android app though, I’ll take the network shares.

So to answer your questions:

1. Public (no anonymous access, but all shares are public between the user accounts on the server).
  1. Yes.
  1. Neither, they never establish at all.
  1. 1+ hour. My wife watched Hulu and Netflix then checked between shows and there was no change.

I would be very happy to provide any worthwhile testing or data captures (tcpdump, whatever) if it would help resolve this. I really do miss using the Android app, but I’m not willing to sacrifice the usability of my network shares in exchange for it.

edit: I forgot to mention: even when the WD was unable to see my Debian machine, the Debian machine could still fully see and access the WD sharing the attached USB device. So I know they were able to reach each other, I even moved some files between them (from the Debian end) without issue. It’s just an issue with getting the WD to “display” the share, or better yet, allow users to manually enter hostname/ip details to create a share instead of relying on a broken WINS discovery implementation.

neomdb

We’re still looking into this.  Part of the problem is that we can’t consistently replicate the issue with the shares.  At this point, it’s probably the better idea to just roll back.

YouTube Leanback is too hard to navigate . If I go to a playlist or favortive I would to select the video I would want to watch . I want the old version bacck

I just updated  for the Live Plus and have wi fi issues with my USB N adapter.  I then went back to 1.06.41 and am still having Wifi issues not able to stream my MKV to my TV.  It worked before this update. 

Is there a further back version I can go to?

I think Western Digital should not give out faulty firmware to purposely break so many WDTV.  They just want us to buy a newer version.

[Delete]

Since the upgrade, I can see the movies, but the sound is not there.
I’ll  also tried to change the audio settings, but nothing helped.

can you help me?

TheBeeMan wrote:

Hi Bill,

I tried 1.06.42 and all the posts on here give examples of what sort of problems we are having (me to).  I downgraded to 1.06.41_V and that is better but keep losing network shares and then wait for days for them to reappear.

FV 1.06.34 worked well for me except didn’t like utube leanback and login procedure, but hey man it worked…

BeeMan, if you want to roll back, go here and follow WD’s instructions for your particular model player:

How to roll back the firmware on a WD TV Live HD Media Player or WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player

TheBeeMan wrote:

Hi Bill,

I’m looking into this.

I have had this visersion installed since it came out and have not seen any real differences compared to previous versions except some of the things that have already listed. I have a CrunchyRoll basic(free) account but it is a pain to access the videos since there is no direct CrunchyRoll access like there is for other similar streaming sites.

HI, this is my first reply and probably my last also. I’ve owned a WDTVLIVEPLUS for more than 2 years, at first the firmware upgrades worked fine, but i think for more than 3 upgrades now  I’d to downgrade them again

So I’ve looked into google and found this.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/Possible-to-disable-quot-new-firmware-available-quot-message/td-p/400507

Personally I’ve done it and worked perfectly, so i wont be upgrading until there’s a really good (tested) version to download.

Sorry WD but the user community are your customers, not your testers.

Regards

Ricardo

Ricardo - how will you know when there is a good tested version to download. Are you suggesting that other users do the testing on your behalf and only when all the reports are good will you upgrade.

Hi there, I’ve been reading up on the entire thread and can’t make out whether to upgrade or not. My main reason for upgrading is to use my android and iphone as a remote for the wdtv (makes youtube so much easier).  For me, I basically need two things, the ability to watch videos that i’ve put on attached hard drives (mkv,mp4,avi,etc) and also, to be able to access the wdtv as a network share. the wdtv is in the tv room, but usually my family just accesses it on their laptop in their rooms. I just want to make sure that both of these things aren’t broken. Plus, I like to copy stuff onto the attached hard drives via the network. I should be able to do all that even after the upgrade right? (I have a live plus and a live as well). Thanks guys!

I finally had to downgrade from this firmware, I had to unplug and reconnect the ethernet to the WDTV every time I wanted to acceess my storage drives which was highly irritating as I use the network options every time I use it :( 

I actually managed to get the Live to access my media files on the network - eventually. I set the log-in to “manual”, logged in then reset to “auto” and since then it’s worked each time without having to use “manual”. Don’t ask me why…

I have tried to read every post since the beginning of this thread and am thankful that I have not had the network discovery problems and such since I did a cold shutdown (removed power and restarted.  Restarting seemed to fix ALMOST everything.  The one remaining issue I am having with the new fw (1.06.42_B) has to do with internet radio streaming using TuneIn.  I am able to stream most sources EXCEPT Sky.FM streams.  When I try to connect to these streams it sends me to a trouble shooting menu asking if the audio is a problem, etc.  I had the same problem with my WD TV Live, but is somehow miraculously gone away. The WD TV Live Plus has not worked since the 1.06.42 update.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to fix this?? 

Thank you for your help.  

@oldcodger

I have reasons to believe the WD’s TuneIn Radio app is somewhat “broken” irrespective of the player or firmware.  I say this because since the app appeared, I have on occasions found one or more of my favorite stations will not play as you described.  So, I check the station on my Roku player – it plays fine.  It also plays fine from the TuneIn website. 

Conclusion: the problem is the WD’s app. 

Solution:  I listen to TuneIn radio via the Roku, not the WD.

@bbyf16

“If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”, or in this case,  don’t upgrade the firmware to a “broken” version.

I am facing the subtitle-flicker issue (as described in the below post) for all my videos that have been encoded with Handbrake with the subtitle in the MP4 container: http://community.wdc.com/t5/ideas/v1/ideapage/blog-id/streaming_issues/article-id/947/page/1 I did not have this issue for all the previous versions as i have played the videos before on them. The issue was highlighted by user PeterJohn in that thread, but thought it would get better visibility here.

It’s been a while, but when I play MP4 I have video but no sound.  Is this a problem with the latest FW.  It seems like they played before as far as I can remember.  I don’t have a lot of MP4.

If the MP4s have DTS audio, then the Play won’t play the sound if:

1- the audio mode is set to Stereo, or

2- the audio mode is set to Passthrough to a device that doesn’t support DTS.