New Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.06.43 (1/17/13)

I got back home and saw that the wdtv live is updated. It’s possibly that one of my family members updated it. My issue is this, when I turned it on, the update seemed to have messed up my files on USB2. Everything on USB1 is fine though. I noticed that the WDTV was endlessly reading for more than 30 minutes. I knew there was something wrong.

I was browsing the drive on USB2, and noticed, that some of JPG files are not loading. I was wondering what caused this. I moved the drive to the PC and noticed that the JPG files are now converted into empty protected folders. As I browsed the drive, it seemed like some of the MP3 and WMA files are also converted to. The longer the drive is hooked on the WDTV, the more files are affected. 

I was able to save most of the files since I don’t turn on the WDTV Live on long periods of time. 

Please fix this issue as soon as possible and please don’t make the user be forced to use the update. Even though it was an option, it shows up as the default selection when the update is available. I used the WDTV Live to have people at home to have easy access to our home media. But with the recent update, were afraid to use it and possibly loose a lot of our family pictures and home video.

What a load of bollocks Kudos my arse … is there an anti kudos Grrrrrr

I finally took the plunge & powered up the WD live as since 3 firmware updates ago it became unusable … so checking the net  WD proudly say they have released this new "It will fix all your woes " firmware … Right.

Used the auto update everything went smooth … Bloody **bleep** They might have fixed it … went to reboot an guess what…

Its **bleep** at the WD start-up screen lovely pic of night sky but no bloody media player … cant turn off via remote , tried taking power cord out & waiting did this a few times & nothing …Nada … Its a brick.

Can anyone advise if I’m doing something wrong or is there some secret handshake ceremony with live salmon an crystals  that has to be preformed first…

PLEASE HELP…

I promised grandson we would watch a movie an seems I’ve let him down … Thanks WD for nothing.

Mortis58 wrote:

Its **bleep** at the WD start-up screen lovely pic of night sky but no bloody media player …

You don’t have a WDTV Live Plus or Live, as none of them display a “Night Sky.”

I’m guessing you have the Live SMP, which doesn’t even run the firmware you’re posting in.

Thanks TonyPh12345

Your right its a WDlive smp …my bad seems i was just too frustrated with this brick.

Thanks again will try elsewhwere for help.

Hi there,

Your player did not got much SLOWER than it was before the upgrade ?

• System startup
  • Find stuff on USB storage
  • Movie preview window
  • etc

Mine did get MUCH SLOWER

Thanks

Same here.

Did you manage to go back to beta ?

So as usual I’ve read mixed reviews of this new firmware version. What is the consensus as which one is the most stable version?

This is for VicViper2k5

I had the same issue.

However, I managed to recover the lost files by accessing the drive from a Mac (where I could see the lost/inaccessible files).

I did a move to Mac delete from USB and move back to USB. That fixed the problem. I am sure you can do it using a Linux/Unix machine too.

i have the same feeling this junk firmware … mkv files are dont play avi have troubles i dont now whats happen on the office :S this is **bleep**t !!!

bobby4wd wrote:

what were this people thinking realasing this last version?

The usual: the issue did not turn up during beta-testing so they couldn’t anticipate it. I can see all of my (WD) HDDs, don’t get any lost files and playback of MKVs and AVIs from USB and network still works fine.

Why do you seem to want to chime in on something that doesn’t affect you ?

First my thread and now here. If your unit is worry free, great. But there are MANY who have been affected greatly from this faulty update and by you saying you have no issues doesn’t help anyone.

The new firmware was a waste of time for me.

Had to do two-tier downgrading to 1.04.22 (first 1.06.14).

I am using a relict component video connection (which the DVD forum banned from all players since 2011). 1.05. firmwares give odd bugs in the aspect ratio, the new firmware is enormously slow in accessing a WD USB-HDD.

I would miss the Android remote app, but nothing else is an improvement, no it’s a major disappointment again.

It does help anyone because I had these problems before and told them exactly how I fixed it in this thread.

lidow wrote:

Strange, but I cannot choose audio tracks with this firmware. My media is accessed through UPNP and it is a DVD. I can see all 4 audio tracks in the DVD and I can choose any of them, but audio is not changed, stick to the first one. Now I’m back to 1.06.34, and everything is back to normal. 

I updated OTA, so I will check if there will be any differences if I download the firmware and update through the usb drive.

I confirm the bug.

It is a real problem !!!

WD MUST REMOVE THIS UPDATE FROM HIS SITE !!!

after updating wd to 1.06.43 i cannot watch videos on youtube leanback?

is there anyone have same problem?

how can i solve it?

Youtoube leanback is opening , i can select the any video however it does not work

just white thing is turning on screen.:angry: 

Hi,

I was waiting for Netflix on this upgrade, what a disappointment! hope they will add it in next upgrade

Basan

You will wait forever if you want Netflix. The live is not compatible.

Hi,

I would like to know to which firmware can I rollback since the latest shows to have much more problems than the earlier one…

Slow boot up

Slow start on play.

It hangs playing simple avi files.

It just works with internet radio

Really slow start on play,had to rollback…

1:30 mins including connection to NAS share.